Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Monday Night Pub Ride – 4th April – Holcombe Hill
  • binners

Righty ho you lot. The moors seem to be drying out nicely. Interstellar is even ridable. So it’d be rude not to have the out and out dossing about route around Holcombe Hill

Usual 8.15 start time
    Hare and Hounds

mikerigby

Sounds good to me.

mikerigby

Nice pie. Mmm pie…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Ace graphics, as evaar.

dontdropthesoap
    Free Member

Right, time to get my arse into gear and get back on the bike. As it’s a local one to me………………….

I’m still not out as I’ll be in Spain.

gixer71109
    Free Member

I’m in first Monday night for two months. Looking forward to it.

globalti
    Free Member

On pies, a long-standing pie fanatic and character named Vernon who frequented the Cycle Chat forum has just died suddenly in Budapest on a pie and beer trip. Sad news.

BTW where on Holcombe Hill is this trail you call Interstellar? That used to be my back yard when I lived in Summerseat but we didn’t have names for our favourite trails!

Bregante
    globalti
    Free Member

Oh. One of our challenges was to ride up that steep slope up the front of Harcles Hill, I think I managed it once but I don’t think we ever rode down the route shown. We used to skirt along the east side of the hill below the red flags on a sheep track then blast down to join the Holcombe to Helmshore green lane, then pick our way down past Robin Hood’s Well on what was at that time an extremely technical rock and mud filled hollow way. It got sanitised in around 1995 but heavy rain usually washed it all away again.

binners

The Interstellar Sheep Trail is a lovely, fast, flowy ribbon of Singletrack that drops off from the cairn past Pilgrims Cross and runs down to the bins outside the farm on the Moor Road here

wittonweavers
    Free Member

I’m going to do my bestest to be there on Monday!

Binners – any possibility of redoing the ride we did in the snow 😮 last Spring – INCLUDING chip butties in the other pub?

Bregante

Binners – any possibility of redoing the ride we did in the snow last Spring – INCLUDING chip butties in the other pub?

I’ve still got the scars from that particular ride…

Harry_the_Spider

Sounds like a plan.

binners

WW – I’ve got a great route planned which will include a lot of last years highlights. I’m not sure if I can arrange chip butties though, as it’s not my local we’re finishing at this time

binners

Who’s out tonight then?

Harry_the_Spider

Me.

mintimperial

Me too.

mikerigby

And me

binners

Usual Holcombe rules apply. i.e.: I ain’t riding down the hill, just to turn around and ride straight back up it again. So if you lot can herd yourself up to meet me at the Shoulder, that’d be lovely.

Everyones on holiday apparently, so I’m the only member of the usual Rammy contingent

In other news: I’ve just got round to fixing my front mech. It now works. Which is nice 😀

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

what the hell is a front mech!? 😉

glad its improving, Interstella was awful a week ago! mind you the bastard head wind didnt help!

Harry_the_Spider

Looks like it is going to chuck it down solidly until about 7:00pm then clear up nicely. Hope you’ve got a hard packed route lined up Bin-Bins as anything off-piste is going to be a swamp.

dazh

Sat in the incredible York Tap pub at the moment. Assuming I can tear myself away I’ll be out later.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

unlikely for me; having spent more than half of the weekend at work, then been here from 6am until pushing 6pm today too, i’m gonna have an hour’s blast up Rivi then pass out at home instead. enjoy (it won’t be as good as the snow ride though, that’s not possible!)

binners

Its mainly hardpack route.There is one big potential swamp element which I’ll play by ear later. Possibly replacing it with an Uber-swamp, which has pure comedy gold potential, depending on how evil I’m feeling.

Muhahaaaaaaaaa

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Sorry guys but I cant get out tonight. Had my first ride in nearly a month yesterday and its taken its toll. Plus Mrs WW has a few jobs for me that need doing so I might as well get brownie points rather than a heart attack!

Weather has cleared up nice and the Holcombe Brook rides are always top ones – so have a good night!

chipps

Me if I get organised!

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve got a post in the car for you BTW.

gixer71109
    Free Member

I will be there

binners

No stage diving off the bar in the pub afterwards! 😉

dazh

Swamp or uber-swamp you say? Sounds like a job for the ss!

binners

Well that was… erm… character building.

Given the conditions, I’d like to congratulate myself on my excellent, carefully considered, and wildly optimistic route choice. If anyone, somewhat amazingly, managed to stay upright for the while ride…. Congrats! You’re a riding God!

Nobody did, did they?

Harry_the_Spider

[puts hand up]I did, but I rode like a bag of mince. [/puts had up]

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

haha, someone post the route pls

Harry_the_Spider

Theatre Of Mince

Did anyone get any photos when we stopped by Peel Tower?

binners

In that brief moment of optimism before we sank….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FWsucE]The tower on an MNPR[/url] by bin lid, on Flickr

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

classic holcombe. looks like a lot of fun!

gixer71109
    Free Member

Thanks Binners enjoyed that ride last night. Yes I did manage to stay upright with a few dabs here and there.

mintimperial

If anyone, somewhat amazingly, managed to stay upright for the while ride…. Congrats! You’re a riding God!

Nobody did, did they?

I only fell off whilst going uphill, so I’m counting that as a win.

I really enjoyed the ride though, ace fun as usual, cheers! 😀

mikerigby

I had a muddy swim. It went in my mouth! Gear is all washed and will be dry soon, to get dirty all over again soon.
    Great ride chaps. Cheers.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Monday Night Pub Ride – 4th April – Holcombe Hill’ is closed to new replies.