Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Monarch plus debonair bottomless bands
  • bennyball
    Free Member

What’s the maximum number I can run?

How many do people run on their orange five?

carlphillips
    Free Member

you can get 5 in I think
    my mates alpine came with maximum number of bands already installed!!

carlos
    Free Member

What’s the maximum number I can run?

When I was looking into bands for my Nomad, I called Tfftuned and spoke to a tech guy. Basically you can fit as many as fits, which iirc was all 9. I was advised to add 2 at a time until the desired feel was achieved, then once it felt right add/remove one at a time to fine tune if your that way inclined.

I settled for 4 and it feels spot on.

Carlos

bennyball
    Free Member

Thanks guys, ive just got 6 in but think there’s still room for more. I’ll have to see how it feels

benpinnick

9 is the max, I find after about 3 or 4 its all quite similar, below say 4 its a noticable difference with each band.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Just be careful as completely ruined the feel of my nomad by adding bands. I added 2 at a time and every time it felt worse. I got to the point where I didn’t enjoy riding it and spent more time messing with pressures and rebound than I did enjoying riding. In the end I took them all out and it was like having my old bike back and I instantly loved riding it again. I came to the conclusion that I can’t get my monarch debonair plus to perform nicely on the rough stuff and not bottom out on large jumps and drops although the theory behind volume spacers says I should.
    I suppose all I’m saying is that don’t be afraid to experiment and go right back to no bands after trying it with various quantities.

sandwicheater

Is this similar to the pike bottomless tokens?

Finding i’m having to run at 40% sag to get a good feel when fully open, would this address that issue?

poah
    Free Member

what do you mean good feel? and 40% sag is far too much – what bike and is it the standard shock that came with the bike?

bennyball
    Free Member

That sounds like something I’d do too Andy! I’ve got a habit for messing with my bike when out.
    Sandwicheater-yes it’s the same principle. The idea is that you can increase the ‘ramp up’ as you go through the stroke. In theory this means you can run less pressure and still achieve full travel and sag etc.

carlos
    Free Member

Andy – that was the exact issue I was having and it can be sorted, with a little patience and only adjusting one thing at a time. To get the plush feel on the small stuff it was blowing through on the drops, even 18″ ones! But after adding the four bands whilst still running the same pressure, rebound etc.. has sorted this for sure. Riding weight is about 185lbs in full kit and with water, I’m running 215psi in the shock, 28% sag and four bands it’s still plush over the smaller stuff but ramps up nice on the drops and jumps.

Benny – don’t drop the pressure when fitting the bands. Set the sag, rebound etc.. Then add bands to those settings, I’d always keep them the same even if your experimenting with adding even more bands. Then when you’ve solved the bottoming out, fettle with the rebound etc.. Because If you drop the pressure it will just sit to far into the stroke and you get the harsh/bottom out feel again. If you do feel the need to drop the pressure, do it in 5psi increments.

What worked for me-
    Step one – Empty shock of air and start from scratch with adding 100psi, cycle through a few times to charge the small chamber, as per Rockshock site.
    Step two – Set sag at 28% whilst in full kit inc water by adding more air
    Step three – Note pressure, let air out, remove can, add 2 bands
    Step four – Repeat step one, top up air to whatever it was that you noted down.
    Step five – Go ride. If it still seems to bottom out, repeat step 1, add two more bands then add air, again to whatever it was you noted down and go ride some more.
    Repeat the above adding or removing bands each time but keeping the same air pressure till your happy.

Took me about four rides to find the sweet spot and well worth the hassle imo.

HTH
    Carlos

andysredmini
    Free Member

I cba to mess again. I tried so many combinations of bands/pressure/rebound that as I said the riding stopped being fun. I’m back at about 160psi for dh and general riding and if I’m jumping more than about 20ft or dropping more than about 10ft I put the shock up to about 180psi. This leaves me a few mm of stroke in case of a heavy landing.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Monarch plus debonair bottomless bands’ is closed to new replies.