Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Monarch airline
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

We’re booked to go to greece next week with Monarch.

Should I be concerned? Should I do anything special other than wear bus plane pants?

SiB
    Free Member

Are you concerned about Greece or Monarch??

Daughter works for Monarch, she’s not concerned………you might want to be though?!

Sorry, no help at all. But I was under the impression that if there were problems the CAA has planes waiting in the airports to take over where Monarch left off

grizedaleforest

I’m booked on Monarch later in the month. If nearer the time there is still any uncertainty I would make sure I know what my rights are under ATOL! But for the return I’d make sure phone is charged; have appropriate contact numbers in the phone; have some spare cash; have a spare set of clothes in my carry on

dantsw13

SiB – Im 99.99% certain that isn’t the case. If Monarch went bust, the CAA may well ask all carriers with capacity to help out, but there is no magical standby fleet just waiting for emergencies.

Once people lose faith in a carrier, it can become a self fulfilling prophecy. Fingers crossed for all the Monarch employees that a solution is found.

RickDraper
    Free Member

In one paper yesterday they had a article saying Monarch was receiving hundreds of millions in financing and had placed a order for lots of new aircraft securing the airlines future.

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^^ I am not sure placing orders for new planes years in the future secures anything, personally it looks more like an attempt to disguise something. There is clearly something wrong at Monarch, whether it is terminal ( 😉 ) I could not say

mattyfez

I fly with them quite often, decent enough, didn’t know they were in difficulties, last two flights the planes were really new..had tablet holders built into the seat backs.

poolman
    Free Member

I use them a fair bit too and they are usually competitive v rivals. However I am getting daily emails from Ryanair and ez with 20% off so I suspect they are going in for the kill. Be a shame I like choice and competition.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Make sure you have paid for your luggage to go as well.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

What’s the CAA got to do with the airline schedules? That can’t tell airlines where to fly or order them to maintain capacity. If monarch go bust you’ll lose your ticket. The slots will be taken up by other airlines, which you can purchase new tickets with from your insurance claim.

It’s very unlikely they’ll go bust though. The value of airlines is in the airport slots they own – far more valuable than aircraft. So if they have good slots they can usually leverage finance to keep them flying, just like they have recently.

hammerite
    Free Member

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/monarch-latest-flights-bookings-cancellations-refunds-compensation-bust-caa-atol-a7342631.html

Looks like there is a shadow fleet (whatever that is).

If they do go under it’s a massive shame. Apparently they still stand to make £40m profit this year, as usual cash flow really is the most important thing.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I’m booked to fly out to gran canaria with them on saturday, back the week after.

My reading suggests it will be ok – once I’m out there atol protection will get me back home again. If they go bust before I fly out I get my money back and book something else. Fingers crossed!

rascal
    Free Member

Flew to the Algarve I week ago last Sat, flew back Sat just gone.
    Knew nothing about any of this tis I saw this thread just now.
    Make of that what you will!

kayak23

Oh piss.
    Just helped my girlfriend book flights for her and her mum to Rome later this month. Had no idea about any of this 😐

cchris2lou

Their Atol licence has been extended till end of october on the promise they are to get more money .

hora
    Free Member

That’s a PR spin ^ though. Anyone can release a positive news press story.

Hope they survive. We flew with them a few weeks ago, seamless both ways and friendly staff.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I booked last year to fly to Florida this July. They were shaky enough then that I had serious reservations and found alternative flights.

Thye are not in the best shape, and the negative publicity they are getting now will result in reduced numbers and make them even shakier.

It makes you wonder how awful carriers like Ryanair survive.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Monarch airline’ is closed to new replies.