Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Moles……. hate them.
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Came back from holiday to find we’ve become infested with moles (we actually had them in the paddocks for a while but now they’re in the garden).
    My old method of trying to shoot them isn’t working (I suspect my success at the first attempt was a fluke).
    Tried traps but they always seem to set the trap off without being in it or just manage to go round it 😡
    Anyway I found a web site written by an old hand yesterday and it describes modifications to make to modern traps to make them more effective and how to set them properly.
    So I made some changes and this morning, success 😀

Just another 4 or five to get I think!

mintimperial

Get a cat? Mine have cleared a couple of neighbouring gardens of moles this summer alone. I know because they bring them into my garage after they’ve caught them. (They also use a litter tray, before anyone starts.)

Nobby

Local farmer advised us to push a stick through one of the mounds until you could feel you’d reached the tunnel, insert a funnel in the hole and tip about an egg cup of diesel (preferably red) in, remove funnel & block up hole.

Tried it once, instant success & they’ve never been back. It seems they just can’t stand the smell of the stuff.

No moles were harmed in the clearing of this garden.

redstripe
    Free Member

using a tent peg to find and then check you’ve got a good clear run & stick with the spring loaded traps (bucket over top to keep light out)and checking regularly, most effective in my experience. Many years ago we used to use gas tablets, based on phosgene I think, not now for various reasons.

I read about an eccentric Victorian who ate anything, he said a mole was the most disgusting thing he had ever tasted, closely followed by a bluebottle.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Mine have cleared a couple of neighbouring gardens of moles this summer alone. I know because they bring them into my garage after they’ve caught them.

Do they eat them? Mine won’t touch them…he doesn’t like the smell of a mole, no sir!

fasthaggis

Sure it’s not Gophers ?

scaled
    Free Member

Have you considered some vintage mole traps?

http://www.vintagetraps.co.uk/product-category/all-products/vintage-traps/mole-traps/

For ornamental purposes, obviously

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Moles……. hate them.’ is closed to new replies.