Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Mojo owners? -> DHX shock advice..
  • BMC09
    Free Member

am contemplating putting a DHX air shock on my Mojo SL, been thinking bout it for a while and there's one cropped up on classifieds that may fit the bill.

whats the perks or downsides of popping that on the bike instead of the rp23?

thoughts?

cheers

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

DHX airs are well known for blowing through the mid-stroke. Stick with the rp23. Only perk is you can home service them.

retro83
    Free Member

advantages are that you can tune the boost valve pressure to adjust the compression damping and also adjust the bottom out control unlike the RP23.

DHX airs are well known for blowing through the mid-stroke. Stick with the rp23. Only perk is you can home service them.

I've got both, I can't tell any difference really (aside from the DHX can be finer tuned).

Also assuming the DHX coil & air have the same damper, how can the air have problems with the mid-stroke? (given that the coil is well regarded and the spring should be more linear than the air)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    heihei

Dave Weagle and Ibis designed the Mojo around the RP23 so I'd stick with that. Only advantage imho of the DHX is the ability to tune the bottom-out, but as the Mojo doesn't bottom out harshly, not needed.

GEDA
    Free Member

I was reading a thread on mtbr complaining about the Boost valve RP23. I have nothing more to add but this link and the jist was that the shock needed tuning MTBR MOJO Rp23 thread

jamnspoon
    Free Member

the dhx will take the bigger hits a lot better imo.
    the people who have commented on blowing through travel have clearly not set the shock up right.

set your sag .then add the minimum boost & increase as required,not forgetting to turn the bottom out in a few times.its a doddle to service aswell.

adding more air in the boost will not stop it blowing through travel on its own you need to wind the vale a turn or 2.basically read the manual your sorted i would not buy anything else.

down side is its more expensive to but new & weights slightly more.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

even though im selling it i can tell you the difference.

more adjustable without adjusting pressures.ie you can adjust it to the what you are riding that day without having to adjust pressures.
    better small bump sensitivity .
    takes the big hits & is easy to service.

downside is it cost me more to buy.
    read here
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/rear-shocks/product/dhx-air-50-9755

titusrider
    Free Member

(fellow mojo SL owner)
    i would go against a dhx air, for two reasons,
    firstly the fact that the mojo is designed around the rp23, i belive it is very picky about spring rates and stroke in the way its designed.
    Secondly my experiance:
    I was really happy with the rear sus from the off but as i started to ride the bike harder/bigger/faster i was starting to find the rp23 couldnt keep up. It spiked on fast hits and generally got a bit choppy at speed. I thought its been about a year so went for a service and PUSH tuning from tf, told them i was getting a spike please set it up for a plush ride. It has come back and im blown away, new rear sus entirly, it really has made the back end so much more composed at speed, feels like ive got a flat tyre. Impressive service as always.
    If I was you Id give TF a call and discuss with them- and they will have an informed opinion on the dhx air but id had a pushed rp23 if i were you 🙂

retro83
    Free Member

firstly the fact that the mojo is designed around the rp23, i belive it is very picky about spring rates and stroke in the way its designed.

you can use the LV or HV air cannisters on either, so spring rate isn't really an issue.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

you can use the LV or HV air cannisters on either, so spring rate isn't really an issue.

Eh, they'll feel totally different…
    The mojo was designed around a small volume rp23 so adding a large volume shock (no matter what it is, dhx air/rp23 xv) will feel mushy.

retro83
    Free Member

Eh, they'll feel totally different…

No, with the Low volume sleeve on both of them, they feel very similar.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

No, with the Low volume sleeve on both of them, they feel very similar.

Ah, there lies the solution…DHX airs do not come stock with a LV sleeve…it makes quite a difference.

retro83
    Free Member

Ah, there lies the solution…DHX airs do not come stock with a LV sleeve…it makes quite a difference.

Agreed, but also RP23s now come stock with the High Vol sleeve too (or at least mine did). I prefer the Low Vol one personally

khani
    Free Member

you can shim the air sleeve on dhx airs to reduce the volume of the can, or fit a lv sleeve if you have one spare, if you shim it down you can tune the volume to how you like it rather than a lv sleeve which is a fixed volume, loads on mtbr forums on this

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Mojo owners? -> DHX shock advice..’ is closed to new replies.