Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Mojo HD140 – in the immortal words of one of my heroes, Mr Ferris Beuller…
  • psychle
    Free Member

“It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.”

And even if you don’t have the means, all I can say is – try to find a way, these are the sorts of things credit is made for 🙂

DSCF4243 by ten_sim, on Flickr

First ride out yesterday and despite suffering from cramps for most of the day, I still had a right royal blast around the Surrey Hills. Things that have always looked too steep to me, I was suddenly happy to be rolling into (eg. Deliverance and that steep bit off to the left of the Leith Hill Tor for instance) – OK, not that difficult perhaps, but I’ve always felt uncomfortable tackling them…

Don’t know if it was just confidence inspired by a new ‘big’ bike etc but I simply rolled straight over the top with minimal hesitation, simply felt like I was in the right position and good to go, was excellent! Did have one bingle as a result, newfound confidence overriding experience and skill levels 😳

General singletrack and XC trails it felt similarly great on, not as agile as my SS or my old Yeti ASR, but still surprisingly nimble and quick (well, it would’ve been if I was fitter and my legs weren’t cramping with no warning…) Really feels like a superb ‘all day, epic ride’ type bike, sooo comfortable to ride 🙂

Deville forks felt excellent, great on small stuff such as roots etc, soaked up bigger hits with ease, felt really controlled and smooth to me, totally stiff too. Seems to be a great fork to me, an excellent alternative to the offerings from Fox and Rockshock.

Maxxis Ardents performed really well, seemed to be well suited to the slightly damp yet still pretty much dry underneath conditions. Tonnes of grip, pretty massive tyre volume (they feel huge actually!), even with me pushing it a bit more than I might usually they never lost traction (or, when they did, it was really predictable). Look to be an excellent big bike summer tyre IMHO.

Podium flats were great as well, huge platform and supremely grippy with five10 shoes. It’s cool that the bearings are set in such a way that the pedals don’t spin that freely, a nice design feature I think.

Haven bars are insanely wide and take a bit too get used to, but once you do, they’re great. Really stiff and light, perfect for this type of ‘big’ bike. Head for the Hills in Dorking have a few sets in stock if you’re chasing some btw 🙂

All in all, bloody happy with this bike, I just need to get a lot fitter and do a skills day with Mr Jedi to learn a few more tricks to do it justice!

Is it better than a £2200 Enduro Comp or Reign 1? I don’t know really (would need to ride ’em all back to back I guess!…) I can say that it feels better to me then my old Enduro SL. Perhaps more importantly (in my shallow way), it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling to own and makes me want to ride it more, so that’s a plus as well 🙂

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

All this AND it’s road safety yellow! 😉

Aren’t new bikes brilliant? Glad to hear you are liking it. And all with a bit of dust to wipe off too-Winner.

chakaping
    Free Member

Glad you like it after all that time.

What did it cost you in total do you reckon?

And (of course) how much does it weigh?

beanieripper
    Free Member

Havent you posted this already this week..?

mamadirt
    Free Member

Perhaps more importantly (in my shallow way), it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling to own and makes me want to ride it more, so that’s a plus as well

and that alone should be justification for any new bike 😀 . Glad to hear it rides as good as it looks 😛

psychle
    Free Member

This was more a follow up to that thread… kind of a mini review (an inept one I know, but I ain’t no professional 😆 ). Hope my shameless craving for attention doesn’t offend 🙄

Houns

You got an Ibis Mojo? When did you get it? What made you get one? You should have kept us informed of every step of the buying and building process 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I sort of hate you.

psychle
    Free Member

What did it cost you in total do you reckon?

Well, I haven’t actually toted it all up (a little scared to!) but I did buy all the parts (except the fork and wheels) off the STW classifieds as and when I spotted good deals or bits I wanted (over the course of 7 months or so!), so that’s saved me a fair whack – at a rough guess I reckon the build owes me something like £4k overall, which I’m happy with 😕

And (of course) how much does it weigh?

28lbs dead even on the LBS scales (pro digital jobbies, so should be reasonably accurate)

Lifer
    Free Member

That does look very nice and, despite it’s prettiness, purposeful.

EDIT – just seen the weight and I actually hate you.

timmys

The only thing he hadn’t posted about this week is how the bike actually rode I think! Good to finally get a report.

This must be the first time in history a gravity dropper has actually been an aesthetic upgrade having seen the seatpost it was pictured with previously!

psychle
    Free Member

This must be the first time in history a gravity dropper has actually been an aesthetic upgrade having seen the seatpost it was pictured with previously!

Yep, a definite improvement… remembered that I had a 31.6mm/27.2mm shim in my spares box, so chucked the GD on for the first ride (an adjustable seatpost is such a big thing to be missing off this type of bike I think, would’ve been a shame not to have one first ride out!)

IMG_3121 by ten_sim, on Flickr

DSCF4239 by ten_sim, on Flickr

chakaping
    Free Member

28lbs dead even on the LBS scales (pro digital jobbies, so should be reasonably accurate)

sounds realistic to me.

I wasn’t going to mention the gravity dropper – as I’m sure you’ll be buyng a reverb for it shortly anyway

sambob
    Free Member

That last photo almost makes it look photoshopped. You don’t really have this bike do you, it’s all a big hoax….. 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Looks perfik for Leith Hill 😛

flyingfox
    Free Member

I asked for a car, I got a computer, how’s that for being born under a bad sign?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I really like it – and I don’t hate you! 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

Looks great, I like the looks of those Mojos 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

It’s not what I’d choose, but it’s just as well we all choose different things…

rickmeister

Another first time Ibis Mojo owner here.. bought the frame second hand too… beat my old 2006 Marin into the floor.

Black Carbon frame(second hand
    Crossmax ST tubeless (second hand, off old bike)
    Fox 36 talas (ebay 3 yrs ago)
    Renthal Fatbar (new)
    Renthal 36t chainring and RF bash (new)
    Nobby Nics (off old bike)
    Standard seatpost (Reverb on order)
    GUB Ceramic BB (£35 from Hongkong)

Its all a bit “Fur Coat, No Knickers” but boy does it appear to work brilliantly.

12.3kg inc under seat toolbag… and thanks to the donor bike I reckon I spent £1200 all up.

Leachann road today and 5 days on Skye and Harris last week… just lovely… lovely lovely….

Thank you Mark @ TBC, Edinburgh.

WackoAK
    Free Member

Leachann road today

How was it? Planningon going up there soon but I hear that more of it has been “sanitised”?

brakes
    Free Member

rickmeister

As in the trail from Auchindrain , not Fort Bill area… Leacann Muir Road.. Kenny Wilson page 18

It was great… All the original tricky climbs, the rocky switchback descent, stream crossings are all as they were, no change at all except for one section on the descent to the road and Loch Awe. That was about 20m max….

Otherwise business as usual.

singlespeedstu

New bikes are always cool.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Cool bike and nice review. Not being familiar with the Surrey Hills, is there actually anything steep to climb though?

rickmeister

Psychle.. likeing your new bike.. there isnt anything quite like “new”…

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Mojo HD140 – in the immortal words of one of my heroes, Mr Ferris Beuller…’ is closed to new replies.