Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Mojo 575 or Tracer VP?
  • infradig
    Free Member

all about the same price. needs to build into a versatile 5-6″ sub 30lb bike for riding in the Peaks. really all fit the bill and I’d probably be happy with any of the above. loved my ’07 575.

feel free to share your opinions.

Trekster

Orange 5 end off

SweetJumps
    Free Member

Yeti 575, end of!

benjag
    Free Member

Ok, i’ll go for the Ibis, £1350 from Stif.

Trekster

tried both O5 wins imo

neil853
    Free Member

tracer VP or Nomad

pedalhead
    Free Member

That’s a cracking (no pun intended) price for a Mojo frame, even if it isn’t the SL.

benjag
    Free Member

I’m lovin’ the blue frame, what’s the difference on the SL? is it just lighter, bearing in mind I’m a big lad.

laraichean

Got a tracer vp a couple of months ago. Built with 140 forks and mostly SLX with some lightweight bits too. It’s impressively light for such a capable bike, climbs very well indeed, (in some instances better than my carbon Merida race bike) and now with the rear shock in the 6″ position it descends brilliantly as well. All in all I’m very pleased and it’s by far the best all round bike I’ve owned or ridden.

richc
    Free Member

Any of these fit? as a 5 pro might be worth a look

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/offers/

goog
    Free Member

get a Remedy

pedalhead
    Free Member

I’m lovin’ the blue frame, what’s the difference on the SL? is it just lighter, bearing in mind I’m a big lad.

SL is about 130grams lighter, and reportedly stiffer (depending on who you ask). Colour options are different as well.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Been pondering the Mojo vs Tracer thing myself recently, there is a weight difference between the two but other than that they look very similar. Seen a bit of uber-anal debate over the suspension characteristics of both, but in practice I guess you just choose whichever you like the look of best.

Is there any significant difference in the warrantees?

richc
    Free Member

put it this way you aren’t going to beat Ibis’s warranty, as they pride themselves on being 2nd to none.

ChrisS
    Free Member

The impression I get is that most people build up their tracer with fox 36’s or similar for a slacker, more dh biased ride, whereas the mojos seem to get built up with a more xc bias.

The recent STW review of the tracer stated that they’d tried both longer and shorter forks with both rear travel options, but didn’t actually say anything about the results!

infradig
    Free Member

there’s a lot written on the whole carbon vs alu debate. I’ll admit, that does worry me a bit given my level of riding competence and the quantity of sharp rocks in the peaks. Ibis has a 3 year warranty and a generous crash replacement policy. Intense come with a 2 year warranty.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Personally I think I’d rather have an intense spider2, 4.5-5″ travel, 70-69 deg headangle, less than 6lbs for the frame, standard 1 1/8 head tube. But nobody is selling them off cheap. 🙁

heihei

IMHO DW beats VPP. Ibis CS is also awesome. Set my Ibis up with Marz Z1 Lights – loved it!!!

Daffy

benjag
    Free Member

right thats it, I’m off to Stif to get one!

can you fit 1.5 steerer forks?

Daffy

Nope . 1, 1/8th only.

Buy the Guiness Foam – It’s awesome.

Sls are a waste of time’re unless you’re racing.

iDrew
    Free Member

ChrisS – Member
    The recent STW review of the tracer stated that they’d tried both longer and shorter forks with both rear travel options, but didn’t actually say anything about the results!

I have a Tracer VP which I originally transferred the Pikes off my Stumpy on to and ran at 140mm front and rear. It climbs very well and descends OK but can feel a bit nervous when it gets steep/rocky/sketchy.

I recently replaced the Pikes with 36 Floats (160mm front & rear)and it is now totally composed, and the extra speed you can carry is fantastic. My bike is built with mainly XTR, Hope Mono M4’s, Pro2’s on 5.1d and weighs 30 lbs with 50/50xx pedals

ChrisS
    Free Member

recently replaced the Pikes with 36 Floats (160mm front & rear)and it is now totally composed

Yeah, that’s the impression I got from mtbr.com, the majority of Tracers seem to built up with 160mm rather than 140mm forks.

160mm forks would be overkill for most of my local riding which is why I fancy a spider 2 instead, haven’t got £1600 to spare though so it’s pretty academic 🙁

Imprezarob
    Free Member

I’d get the Tracer. VPP is great, they’re light, versatile, 2 year warranty = perfect.

ChrisS
    Free Member

I wonder how longer forks would be okay on the original spider xvp frame? they are much cheaper.

Onzadog
    Free Member

what’s with that price for the Mojo? That sounds too cheap to be true. What’s the catch? Is it about to be discontinued or totally changed?

0pt1cal
    Free Member

Tracer VP is a great bike…not had time on the Mojo or 575. I would avoid the Orange 5 though completely over-rated..

pedalhead
    Free Member

I can only assume the SL sales have killed those of the standard Mojo…?

Matt-P
    Free Member

Never tried the Mojo, didn’t get on with the fit of the 575, but loving my Tracer. If you’re 13 stone+ and looking at the large though be prepared for a bit of trouble tuning / finding a shock to work for you, but don’t let that put you off.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Ah, I wonder if the cheap IBIS Mojo has anything to do with IBIS filing for bankruptcy? At least, that’s what Velonews are saying.

pedalhead
    Free Member

The bankrupcy was a few years ago. They’ve since resurrected & brought out a full sus bike called the Mojo 😉 .

Onzadog
    Free Member

I know they did before, but the article I saw had todays date on it. I was surprised to see it but it would explain the sudden price drop. Hey, don’t gte me wrong, I’d love to be wrong on this.

pedalhead
    Free Member

really?? Linky please!

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

How about something different? Chumba Vf2, builds to around 28lb with out silly light bits, can take upto 160mm but best with 140mm. I am based in the Peak, and have a demo bike 🙂 Have a good introductory offer on the frames too atm.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Sorry, my mistake. It was an old page on BikeMagic. I thought the date on the page was an aritcle date but seeing as it’s rolled over today, it would appear to be a calander date.

Thought it was a bit unlucky to have that happen twice in such a short space of time. I’m still curious as to why they’re now so cheap.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Phew! 😉

badblood
    Free Member

My 575 is built up with sturdy enough parts an comes in at 28 lbs

cracking bike going up and down

badblood
    Free Member

and yes, I know my logos etc don’t line up but those tyres were a tw@ to put on!

ss
    Free Member

blur lt2, best bike I’ve ever ridden

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Yup, second the Blur LT2 – so capable up and down. It is pretty much the same bike as the Tracer as SC and Intense share the development. May not be an issue for you, but there are a lot more SC dealers around than Intense ones

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Mojo 575 or Tracer VP?’ is closed to new replies.