Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • "Modified" ingredients.
  • Cougar

The other day, I was comparing the ingredients on two tins of soup. As you do. (I wanted to see if they were basically the same thing.)

I noticed, one of them contained “modified cornflour” and the other “modified potato starch.”

What on Earth is this “modified” business? Sounds vague and weaselly to me. Modified how, what are they doing to it? Anyone know?

Cougar

Pff, short thread, then (-: Interesting, cheers.

midlifecrashes

See also: Cast iron vs Reynolds 953

bones
    Free Member

Sick of all the shite they put in food, from bloody E numbers to Chinese hair 👿 Just try to find a product without xanthan gum or soy lecithin 😡

Solo
    Free Member

Make your own soup, better for you in so many ways and you can add HM chips if necessary.
    🙂

Sandwich

Have a look at this Guardian Article which covers the move to using things that don’t need to be declared on the label as they are a ‘processing aid’ not an ingredient. Fresh fruit salad with an additive to stop it rotting anyone?

sweepy
    Free Member

Its partially inverted sugar syrup I dont get, is that how they get it out of the jar.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Sugar is the crazy one for me at the ‘mo.

I had a look at the amount of sugar in loads of yoghurts on the shelf today (yes I know) and some of the so called “healthy” ones had 18% of your daily sugar intake in them. WTF?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Have a look at this Guardian Article which covers the move to using things that don’t need to be declared on the label as they are a ‘processing aid’ not an ingredient. Fresh fruit salad with an additive to stop it rotting anyone?

Ha! I’ve just been reading that very article and came to this thread to post the link. Quite frightening to think there are so many ingredients that are classified as “processing aids” and so do not even have to be declared on the ingredients list. 😯

cbike
    Free Member

Equally, loads of scary E Numbers turn out be in vegetables anyway. Everything is a chemical. And loads of stuff in small amounts is perfectly harmless.

Check out the processing involved in a “healthy olive”.

xantham gum and artificial sweetener are just yukky.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Equally, loads of scary E Numbers turn out be in vegetables anyway.

Well, it’s not at all equal is it? E Numbers are not necessarily “scary”. It’s just a way of classifying ingredients which must be declared in the ingredients list. The article which was linked to in Sandwich’s post discusses many “processing aids” which we consume unknowingly. Of course some of these will probably be harmless.

Everything is a chemical. And loads of stuff in small amounts is perfectly harmless.

I have no doubt that some of the processing aids discussed in the article will turn out to be harmful. The question we should always ask is who is telling us what is and isn’t harmful?

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

you’re pretty lucku in the UK/EU with what is and isn’t allowed in food.
    Here in North America, the FDA are complete f**kwits and seem to let anything in!

DrP

modified food..like purple anodized cheese, and NOS Injected chips?

DrP

globalti
    Free Member

Plenty of natural ingredients are more hazardous than the synthetic ones. In the fragrance industry we sometimes get requests for “100% natural” perfumes, i.e. made only from essential oils. We have to explain patiently that essential oils are expensive, unstable in price with crop and season, can be photosensitising and irritant or even poisonous, are unstable in the finished product and are so few in number that the smells you can create are very limited indeed. You’re far better off with trace elements of more powerful synthetics, which have been tested to death by safety bodies and found to be harmless.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘"Modified" ingredients.’ is closed to new replies.