Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Modernise my MTB? Blur LTc to bronson-ish?! Angleset?
  • wideboy
    Free Member

Currently have a Blur LTc,

I enjoy the down more than the up, but need to get up in the 1st place!

I still like the bike and i’m considering updating it a bit (rather than spending £1kks on a new bike I can’t really justify).

Already have good brakes, decent wheels, an a good fork.

Plan to be go tubeless and 1×11 shortly.

Pondering adding an angleset, currently at 67deg head angle, Would I notice a 1deg change? Did you? Maybe a 2deg change?

Wheels are newish so not changing from good old 26″ anytime soon, but hear rumours that the frame will take 27.5″, has anyone tried this? How did the bike handle?

Any thoughts or experience of similar “upgrades” to your bikes? Worth it or not?

Cheers!

wrecker
    Free Member

I went from a LTc to a reign to a trance and then to a Bronson. All good bikes, but the Bronson straddles the trail-AM boundary very well in the same way the LTc did in it’s day. I haven’t had any problems with the angles but I can’t seem to get the float x feel as nice as the janky old rp23BV did which is clearly my own fault. I like the bike, certainly the best I’ve owned. As you would expect it takes a little more than the LTc did to get the best out of it. I also had a long look at the Hightower, as you’re going to need new fork and wheels anyway it may be worth considering?

tjaard

One degree is noticeable, not huge but definitely noticeable. I would not do 2 degrees, that’s super slack.
    At the same time, if you want to keep the front manageable at slow speeds, you should install a short stem and wide bars. To keep climbing decent you might want to slide your saddle forward. This will make the reach feel shorter though.

tjaard

If you want bigger wheels, rather than ditching your perfectly good wheels, see if you have room for a 26+ tire.
    Surly and Maxxis make some.

wideboy
    Free Member

Good points,

Forgot to mention that I’ve already switched over my old DH bars (which are now “enduro” width these days!), and I’m looking for a shorter stem too so that’s work in progress.

I guess the goal is a ghetto bronson cc!

Re the wheel size, i’m happy enough with the old school 26 at the mo, was just pondering future-proof ideas. Although by the time I’m ready for a new bike 26″ will be back in as “new and nimble” :p

marc
    Free Member

I bought a second hand LTc off a mate the summer before last.

The fork length can be set on either 120mm or 160mm. This means I can alter the head angle between around 71* to 67*. So big forks help.

I also stuck on a set of Burgtec offset shock mounts to slacken by 1* more; so I think my range is between 70 and 66*.

Other mods were; 760mm bars, 40mm stem, 1×11 drivetrain and a dropper.

I like the way it goes now, especially that I can alter the handling on the fly by changing fork length.

wilko1999
    Free Member

I did a similar thing a few years ago. Changed to wide bars/ short stem, offset bushings, 160mm pikes (from 150mm revs) and it was brilliant, I really miss that bike. I went to a Banshee Spitfire which I do love riding, but I think the LTc was pretty much better everywhere, apart from maybe the steepest, chunkiest descents.

wideboy
    Free Member

Mine’s on 160 36s already, so we’re good on that front (if a bit heavy).

Hadn’t considered offset bushings though… better, worse or equal to an angle adjust headset?

Ta

marc
    Free Member

I haven’t tried an angle adjust headset, but the offset bushes are cheaper and easier to install, or remove if you don’t like them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mine was 1x (GX) decent everything and Avalanche 160mm 34’s
    I swapped it to a Nomad from 2012 one size up as my fix.

Looking at a new bike end of the year though…
    Not much help there!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Modernise my MTB? Blur LTc to bronson-ish?! Angleset?’ is closed to new replies.