Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Modern moral dilema for the salad eaters.
  • project
    Free Member

So there appears to be some sort of poisoned veg out there, and its making certain people very ill or even killing them.

Now the dilema, if you where unfotrunately struck down by the illness, who would you make a compensation claim against,

if eaten in a restraunt, the restraunt directors,

if eaten at home, the shop from where purchased,

the supplier of the salad vegetables, if they could be traced through the shop,

the farmer, who produced the product,

or the packer who packaged the products,

or even the transport companies who may have incorrectly transported them.

Somewhbere down the line someone is going to try and claim compensation, so lets give them some free advice.

chewkw
    Free Member

Xmas comes early for the lawyers.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Gaddafi?

midlifecrashes

[Elfinsafety]
    Thatcher!
    [/Elfinsafety]

dmjb4
    Free Member

The only conclusion we can draw from this story so far is that the Germans don’t wash their hands after they’ve been to the loo.

MoreCashThanDash

So, the illness affects mainly women who have ontact with cucmbers, eh?

tazzymtb

it seems to be linked to organicaly farmed produce so the most likely source will be from manure used in the growing process. The same applies to all organically grown veg etc, which is why you should always wash the food properly before eating it. So you could always put a claim against the animal for having poo which may contain bacteria 🙄

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Russian roulette for hippies.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Why is it a “moral” dilemma?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

it seems to be linked to organicaly farmed produce

Although that is very probable, they actually have no idea where it originates from.

I want to know why it’s a “modern” moral dilemma Deadly……..what are the “old fashion” moral dilemmas concerning salads then ?

tazzymtb

they actually have no idea where it originates from.

fair point, although the fact that it’s not transmitting via human contact and the epidemiology so far points to a salad or vegetable organic food stuff potential source, hence the WHO and HPA guidance that has been issued

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I hear that according to the WHO, it’s a whole new strain of E-Coli. So we can say it’s a modern E-coli, not an old fashioned one.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Gotcha……a different moral dilemma for each strain, since this is a new strain, hence it’s a modern moral dilemma. It all makes perfect sense now 8)

tazzymtb

it’s an old fashioned one, it’s just been knocking around some others and picked some extra genetic bits as bacteria tend to do so it’s behaving like a more troublesome little blighter than usual and has similar toxicology to a 0157 strain

maccruiskeen

If it turns out it mushrooms rather than cucumbers that are the source of the contamination would that make it a morel dilemma?

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

maccruiskeen – Member
    If it turns out it mushrooms rather than cucumbers that are the source of the contamination would that make it a morel dilemma?

Pretty funghi!

This will develop into a coleslawsuit.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

tazzy, is it getting into the whole retro thing then? This is one seriously cool e-coli.

saladdodger
    Free Member

check my screen name nuff said

duntmatter
    Free Member

restraunt?

maxsatnav
    Free Member

aaarrrggghhhh Just had salad for tea…… no problem will have to kill the bugs drunk with the bottles of stella CIDRE im drinking 😉

kennyp
    Free Member

A pretty sad state society is in when as soon as something goes wrong the “who can I sue” brigade are out in force!

project
    Free Member

kennyp, thats why i labeled it a modern dilema………..

Also nearly every time i use the self scan at a local supermarket it fails to scan fruit and veg, wonder if the self scan is sensitive to a virus or what.

Cougar

I don’t know anything about this illness, however, this isn’t a moral question but a legal one.

If I was ill following a restaurant trip, my claim (if there was one, which I doubt) would be against the restaurant. Whether it’s the fault of the farmer, the importer, or little green men from Venus is of no concern of mine; my contract is with the restaurant, it’s down to them to compensate me and down to them to subsequently try and recover whatever losses they incur from whoever for whatever reason.

Similarly at home; your contract is always with the retailer.

kennyp
    Free Member

it’s down to them to compensate me and down to them to subsequently try and recover whatever losses they incur from whoever for whatever reason.

I have to say that I despair for the future of our society when that sort of “something’s gone wrong therefore I deserve money” attitude becomes prevalent.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Who can honestly say that they’re not hoping to get haemolytic-uraemic syndrome, complete kidney failure, and perhaps even death, so that they can sue Tesco ? …….I know I am.

Where there’s a blame there’s a claim.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m suing Tesco for making me feel like a **** after I bought petrol there the other day.

EDIT: Diesel actually.

Pieface

Given the supply chain, I’m amazed there aren’t more outbreaks of E Coli

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m suing Tesco for making me feel like a **** after I bought petrol there the other day.

EDIT: Diesel actually.

Well if you can’t remember whether it’s petrol or diesel that goes into your car, then I reckon you don’t need Tesco to make yourself look a ****.

collinstiffee
    Free Member

I’m Scottish, I’ve always had a strange mistrust of salad.
    Nice to be right, again…

jojoA1
    Free Member

Colin Stiffee, you’ve obviously not had the salad at one of the caffs on the sea front in Aberdeen… My friend thought she’d be healthy so ordered it while I tucked into a black pudding supper. Her salad consisted of: about half a pound of grated orange cheese, half a pound of grated yellow cheese, a ton of Coleslaw that was more mayo than veg, a ton of potato salad more mayo than veg, a piece of quiche, two boiled eggs, a slice of ham with the fat on, some crisps, some eggsalad more mayo than egg but still plenty of egg, pasta salad more mayo than pasta, some pickled beetroot to turn it all pink, crunchy bacon bitz, crutons (ie, fried bread), half a tomato and a couple of straggles of cress as a garnish, oh and a side portion of… mayo!!!. It probably contributed more to her cholesterol levels than a battered fish supper would have. gotta love a Scottish salad 🙂 Never mind e-coli, that will give you the squits no probs.

Cougar

I have to say that I despair for the future of our society when that sort of “something’s gone wrong therefore I deserve money” attitude becomes prevalent.

I was speaking hypothetically; did you read the bit in brackets where I said I probably wouldn’t claim?

Onzadog
    Free Member

The advice is to wash salad. Will that really make a difference? E-coli is water soluble? What antibacterial soap for food stuffs? Are we supposed to spray everything down with dettol? Would smell lovely just not sure about the taste. Once you do that to it, is it still organic?

duntmatter
    Free Member

about half a pound of grated orange cheese, half a pound of grated yellow cheese, a ton of Coleslaw that was more mayo than veg, a ton of potato salad more mayo than veg, a piece of quiche, two boiled eggs, a slice of ham with the fat on, some crisps, some eggsalad more mayo than egg but still plenty of egg, pasta salad more mayo than pasta, some pickled beetroot to turn it all pink, crunchy bacon bitz, crutons (ie, fried bread), half a tomato and a couple of straggles of cress as a garnish, oh and a side portion of… mayo!!!.

collinstiffee
    Free Member

Got a really sketchy salad last year in Skye. Not as bad as the cheese fest above. that just sounds a bit wrong. Possibly they had heard about salads but not in detail.

konabunny
    Free Member

the “who can I sue” brigade are out in force!

It’s PC gone mad!! We’re going to hell in a handbasket!!! You couldn’t make it up!!!!

this isn’t a moral question but a legal one.

If I was ill following a restaurant trip, my claim (if there was one, which I doubt) would be against the restaurant. Whether it’s the fault of the farmer, the importer, or little green men from Venus is of no concern of mine; my contract is with the restaurant, it’s down to them to compensate me and down to them to subsequently try and recover whatever losses they incur from whoever for whatever reason.

Similarly at home; your contract is always with the retailer.
    Yeah, great. Loved the little green man joke. But you don’t have to sue in contract for personal injury from product contamination. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donoghue_v_Stevenson

epicyclo

I think the moral of this story is:

If you’re going to put your vegetables places where you shouldn’t, don’t eat them.

And don’t serve them up to your friends either.

🙂

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Modern moral dilema for the salad eaters.’ is closed to new replies.