Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Mock the Week – SPOILER
  • tankslapper
    Free Member

For those numpties who want to watch it in two weeks time on i-player!

Funniest one yet IMO

clareymorris

Which episode?

tankslapper
    Free Member

9/13

Dara O'Briain looks back at another week's events with the help of Frankie Boyle, Hugh Dennis, Russell Howard, Andy Parsons, and guests Holly Walsh and Stewart Francis.

Skyliner
    Free Member

I agree, COMEDIC GENIUS!!

tankslapper
    Free Member

It was Frankie Boyle that got me – funny as

allyharp

Didn't think it was anything better than the rest of the series tbh.

Although I am at last warming to that Canadian guy.

cove123

opening the door!!! creak…

freddyg
    Free Member

It was Frankie Boyle that got me – funny as

Frankie Boyle is the highlight of the show… However, I saw him do stand up and didn't find him funny – it just seemed too scripted. Whereas on Mock The Week his off the cuff stuff is hilarious.

chakaping
    Free Member

He's very funny, that Boyle – was also the highlight of Charlie Brooker's You Have Been Watching.

The rest of Mock the Week leaves me a bit cold though.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I generally enjoy it, apart from Andy Parsons. Strange voice, and not that funny.

Skyliner
    Free Member

Boyle is what makes the show, I find Hugh Dennis is way out of his league.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Agree about Parsons – amusing but not hilarious; seems forced somehow.

Boyle's comments on Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi's and the creek creek close the door on Scottish racism were hilarious.

ourmaninthenorth

Only caught the end of it last night, so will have to re-watch.

I like Stewart Francis. As he goes on, he gets weirder. Better at one liners than Boyle (though not as ascerbic, of course).

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Did anyone see Frankie Boyle on live at the Apollo? I was a bit dissapointed to be honest, he seemed to be going out of his way to shock, and ultimately came across as unpleasant and a bit desperate. Dont get me wrong, I know he's not trying to be Peter Kay (God forbid), but I found the level of bile a bit high.

tankslapper
    Free Member

I like him on MTW but I was bought a video of him at Christmas doing a gig which could only be described as 'alright'. There's definitely something missing when it translates into a live stage show?

Flow? Humour? Deliver? Material? Perhaps the whole package….?

swoosh
    Free Member

Anyone else think that Holly Walsh did a pretty good job for her first time on the show?

I always think it must be hard for the people who dont do it a lot as there is quite a lot of palliness between the regulars. Lucy Porter always seems to try too hard, but Holly Walsh did a good job in my opinion.

Fairly nice to look at as well which never hurts.

higgo
    Free Member

I generally enjoy it, apart from Andy Parsons. Strange voice, and not that funny.

Completely agree – the weak link.

I find Hugh Dennis is way out of his league.

The more I watch it, the more I like him – I think there's a lot more behind his comedy than is immediately apparent.

Interesting to see more people who've found Boyle disappointing live (or on DVD). I've read a few similar comments elsewhere.

ourmaninthenorth

Anyone else think that Holly Walsh did a pretty good job for her first time on the show?

Only saw the last bit of standup. Her (repeated) joke was v clever. Liked it.

Fairly nice to look at as well which never hurts.

You'd be a braver man than me to say that out loud in a comedy club. 🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I like Parsons, he has his moments. Dennis is proper funny too.

I think you def have to be a certain kind of comic to be able to edge in on the Dennis/Boyle gag express train. Russel Howard does well due to his sheer insanity, but a lot of good comics come on once or twice, seem to sit their in their chair unable to edge in on Dennis and Boyle, and not come on again.

grumm
    Free Member

I don't mind Andy Parsons, not amazingly funny but entertaining enough. Howard looks too much like a kids TV presenter and is a bit cheesy but I don't mind him too much. Dennis is funny in an old skool kind of way. They are all just the support act for Frankie Boyle though imo. 😀

I was about to buy tickets to see Frankie Boyle but been slightly put off. I saw a DVD which was very funny but then you see a lot of the same material used on Mock the Week.

DickBarton

Not getting Frankie boyle now…the first series of MTW he was very very funny, but his patter seems to have remained the same – what can I say that will shock everyone and how far can I go? Not that funny anymore…I think MTW would be just as good without him, but I know a number of folk who watch it purely for him…the bald-headed chap on the other team seems to also be a one trick pony but the rest of the players are generally very good each episode…

I reckoned Boyle was very funny but now, I'm bored of him as I know what is coming (in terms of where he is trying to go with his 'jokes')…

thegreatape
    Free Member

It's the same with all comedy though isn't it, the more you see of it/them, the less funny they get. Micheal McIntyre, Peter Kay, Little Britain to name just a few. The Office is the only one that I can think of that stopped in time. All subjective though I suppose.

EDIT Although I exempt Billy Connolly from that generalisation.

rockitman

I thought last weeks was funnier:

"1/5" – "Is it the percentage of the Jackson 5 who won't be attending this years reunion?"

I nearly wee'd myself

chakaping
    Free Member

The Office is the only one that I can think of that stopped in time.

Shame you can't say the same thing about Ricky Gervais' shtick though.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

The Glaswegian on last week was pretty funny – Things you don't want to hear at work "Get off you're shit!"

I think some of them like the Canadian guy last night struggle to get in on the off the cuff banter, but when they have a chance to reel off some of their standup routine are actually very funny.

Am I the only one who finds Little Britain totally naff, unfunny and painful to watch?

I'm really looking forward to series two of Nathan Barley…

grievoustim
    Free Member

apparantly going to see "Mock the Week" live is quite a different experience – like all Panel shows they film a lot more material than they actually use – but the atmosphere between the comics is very competative to get the most screentime which can sometimes lead to a tense atmosphere. I think this is why some comics just get lost in the scrum

I do laugh at the show though – in fact I seem to watch all the comedy panel shows, a bit of a guilty pleasure as they are v samey really

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I like Andy Parsons, Saw him in a show at dorking and he was pretty good. It's all personal taste tho and i agree that Frankie Boyle is the highlight.

His live at the apollo bit was funny but did appear a bit too scripted (they are ALL scripted but his sounded like he was reading it).

When I first left school i tried a bit of stand up myself. Not as easy as it looks.

My first gig was at an old peoples home.

They didnt understand any of the jokes but they all pissed themselves anyway!

Coyote
    Free Member

Thought the Canadian guy came out with some great one-liners.

To be honest I'm starting to find Frankie Boyle a little tiresome. Relying on shock value demonstrates a shallowness of material. Now and again though he does press the right buttons.

Kit
    Free Member

Never Mind The Buzzcocks has been one of the most consistently funny comedy quiz shows. Never get tired of it.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

QI

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

waihiboy
    Free Member

[quoteFrankie Boyle is the highlight of the show… However, I saw him do stand up and didn't find him funny – it just seemed too scripted. Whereas on Mock The Week his off the cuff stuff is hilarious.[/quote]

i agree, i saw him live and his stand up routine is basically everything he says in mock the week..

still a funny guy though!

his delivery is very scripted, if you want madness check out 'ross noble' who is a genius!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Mock the Week – SPOILER’ is closed to new replies.