Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Mock railway crossing at Cannock!!!!!!!!!
  • badlydrawnbiker
    Free Member

Apologies if it's been done.
    Came across a full scale mock up of a level crossing in the middle of no-where yesterday at the Chase c/w rail track, fence, gates etc the real deal – further investigation on the labels revealed "mock up railway crossing in conjunction with Network Rail & Forestry Commission.

Now I'm aware of the ongoing issues with the real railway crossing on the Monkey Trail – but I fail to see what spending £10k on building another one is going to achieve? Perhaps someone in the know can enlighten us?

Perhaps you'll have to pass a test on this mock up before you can get a permit to ride the Monkey trail?

kinda666
    Free Member

I'm at work now BDB i'll ask the boss!

kinda666
    Free Member

Where abouts was it??

old_mtber
    Free Member

I saw this yesterday as well – its on the fire road that runs parallel to Marquis Drive and the middle sections of FTD.

neilb67
    Free Member
    badlydrawnbiker
    Free Member

I was thinking maybe some time space continuum whereby when you entered onto the real crossing you were somehow tranported here, where you could cross safely without risk of being run over, then when you came out the other side of the mock crossing you were transported back to the real one?
    I've seen that kind of thing on telly, but I'm not sure if its commercially available yet?

Jamie
    Free Member

I am off to Cannock on Tuesday hopefully. Will have to check it out….or just cross the regular crossing.

kinda666
    Free Member

Think I'll give it a miss, been looking at railway tracks for the last 9 1/2 hours! 😥

iain1775
    Free Member

could be something to do with the upcoming – AFP Exhibition (thats the same area it was held in last year) and unrelated to biking, Im sure the FC have a number of railway crossings on their land that heavy machinary has to cross
    http://www.apfexhibition.co.uk/

takisawa2

A 150m long, 30m high elevated boardwalk to span the railway & road, thats whats needed. Would put you nicely at the top of the switchbacks.

Blackhound

A bridge for cyclists only would be a lot cheaper than a full on level crossing for NR! (Vehicles and walkers could still use current crossing)

Why should NR suddenly pay, say £1m+, for a level crossing because a bunch of mountain bikers have suddenly started using it? Although who is going to pay for construction and maintenance of a bridge?

Jamie
    Free Member

takisawa2:
    A 150m long, 30m high elevated boardwalk to span the railway & road, thats whats needed. Would put you nicely at the top of the switchbacks.

Nah…this will do:

iain1775
    Free Member

Nah…this will do:

oh come on?!
    FFS look at the length of the 'stem' on that
    will never catch on, has to be 70mm or less these days

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Mock railway crossing at Cannock!!!!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.