Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Mobile Speed Camera's – How long before you were notified?
  • kenkyujo
    Free Member

Last Friday I think that I may have passed a mobile speed camera, not a problem normally, but on this occasion I was definitely exceeding the limit, through a set of roadworks where the limit had been reduced to 30 mph from 50 mph.

I am now waiting for the dreaded letter to fall through the letter box. As it’s the first time I may have fallen foul of this, how long does it normally take before I am put out of my misery?

Do these mobile cameras normally operate in roadworks in the evening, it was around 7 pm?

toys19
    Free Member

NIP is 14 days to registred keeper. After that it is invalid.

MartynS

as above.. 14 days to the RK. If its your car, you haven’t moved very recently, or just bought the car.

You might be in line for a speed awareness course instead of points, but at 20mph over the limit I doubt it.

If it arrives have a wander over to pepipoo for better advice

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Muke
    Free Member

Mmmm

I think I may of been doing 58 ish in a 50 today as I came around a bend to see a speed camera van at the side of the road. If I get a ticket fair enough, its the waiting that does my head in.

Cougar

An indicated 58 is probably about 53; I’d hazard it’s unlikely that you’ll get a friendly letter.

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

Got mine in seven days.

To qualify for a speed awareness course localy to me, it’s, 10 percent plus 6mph hour. Over that it’s visit to the courts.

MartynS

these things have a range of 1km. By the time you’ve seen it they’ve already pinged you. however as said an indicated 58 shouldn’t be more than 55. Depending on the force depends on whether that’s an issue.
    10% and 2mph is the ACPO GUIDELINES on the speeds over which to prosecute, but they are just guidelines.

gingerss
    Free Member

Remember that your speedo’s are all out by up to 10%, and almost always showing a higher speed than you’re actually going.

DezB
    Free Member

Just turn yourself in. Give up your license.
    I followed STW advice and it’s worked for me.

steveh

They have 14 days to issue a notice that is all. If it’s a lease car, or you’ve moved etc then it’s however long it takes to find you after that.

aracer
    Free Member

Do these mobile cameras normally operate in roadworks in the evening, it was around 7 pm?

If it was a standard spot check mobile van then AFAIK they only work in daylight, as they use standard visual spectrum cameras with no flash, which would be unable to pick up an unlit plate on the front of a vehicle in the dark. So you’re probably OK. But I do wonder in that case what they were doing there at 7pm?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Claiming overtime?

rickmeister

If you were travelling towards the camera and triggered one of the usual grey boxes you can sleep easily.

kenkyujo
    Free Member

Thanks guys for your opinions.
    I’m not sure what speed I might have been doing at the time, it was in a temporary 30 zone through some overnight roadworks, on a road that is normally 50. I feel like a bit of a knob as I might have been over the 50 and endangering anybody that could have been working there. I’ve lost several hours of sleep and worried about the potential consequences, not only if I had caused an accident but also if lost license what it could mean for my employment. Driving license is not essential but it would not have gone down very well with my employers, particuarly as the stretch of roadworks is right outside me offices!
    The Mrs was following me home along the same route that night (but within the limit) and it wasn’t until she got home and asked ‘…….if I had seen the camera?’ that I really started to brick myself. I hope that she was mistaken.
    I have also seen another comment that suggests that they will not issue points on a license if within a temporary speed restriction area (unless on a motorway) but there will be a fine.
    Only a few more days to wait for the NIP!
    Drive carefully!

MartynS

I have also seen another comment that suggests that they will not issue points on a license if within a temporary speed restriction area (unless on a motorway) but there will be a fine.

not true.. points as well.

The only way you are going to loose your license is if anything happens with this and it takes you over 12 points. Do you have any points on your license?

Actually you say its the first time you’ve fallen foul of this.. you are not loosing your license.

toys19
    Free Member

If it arrives have a wander over to pepipoo for better advice

This ^^^

I know a bloke he got away with his speeding in a temp roadworks as it was not signed properly, he had to put some effort in to fight it but evntually they gave up. Go back and take pics now, just in case you might want to try and dispute it.

Wookster

Was about three weeks for me (sorry) company car took the owners a about a week to notify me the driver agree the police told them. Got the course…… Was good actually still speed on the a roads and motorways, it’s the 30 mph roads that I won’t speed on now.

jaylaz73

I really do not understand the whole speed camera method. Surely if we wanted to keep the speed within the limits then speed cameras would be totally hidden from drivers and placed in regular random locations. It seems to me that people see the camera, slow down and then speed up again and when no camera exceed the limit. If no one knew where the cameras were surely most people wouldn’t speed would they? Those that did would quickly lose their licence and the roads would be a much safer place, free from many idiots. I drive many miles a year and drive within the limits. I really hate the fact that other people endanger other peoples safety.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Of course jaylaz73 clearly doesnt drive hence the above. If you did you would realise what mince you talk.

daveh
    Free Member

If it does arrive then keep the envelope, you need it for pepipoo. Also request a photo, at least that way you’ve got something to show for your money.

jaylaz73

Go on then Steve, explain what you mean, what is your opinion?

Muke
    Free Member

the roads would be a much safer place, free from many idiots. I drive many miles a year and drive within the limits. I really hate the fact that other people endanger other peoples safety.

Well if only we were all like you I’m sure the world would be a better place.

However, as you point out, there are plenty of idiots like me out there who are endangering other peoples safety so on behalf of myself I apologise for any offence I may have caused. 🙄

daveh
    Free Member

You know, I’d agree with speed enforcement if the limits were set correctly. Its easy enough to do, collect the data from the road itself, I bet you’d have a roughly normal distribution, so go with the mean. The sample would take account of all vehicle types; all drivers – young/old, experienced/not; weekly commute/sunday tootle etc. When I see stats that 80% of drivers exceed the limit on a particular road, the only thing that tells me is that the limit is wrong.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Country roads that have changed from nsl to 50 are my biggest grievance!!

kaesae
    Free Member

All of us have to rush about far too much these days,

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zuhxfrXocw[/video]

Yeehaa!!!

Basil

What’s the routine for Germany?
    On Wednesday was flashed at night on the A2 (Red flash was like a flare going off. epic distraction. May have been considerably over the limit)Company car.
    What and how long before it arrives?

jaylaz73

Don’t apologise Muke, just drive safely within the limits. It’s funny how sensitive people get about their driving skills. Come on stevewhyte, what are your thoughts on this?

aracer
    Free Member

just drive safely within the limits

Is it OK if I drive safely over the limits (as opposed to those who drive unsafely within the limits)?

jaylaz73

Don’t see how you can judge that one really, are you saying you can drive as safe over the speed limit as under it? I realise there are situations when speed does indeed help, but generally?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

If you drove you would understand just how easy it is to stray over the limit at times and having arbitory enforcment is not really a good way to police bad driving. After all its bad drivers we want off the road and thats not necessarily people who on occasion speed.

Who mentioned driving skills? Statments like yours just sound nieve.

Probably start will compulsory 80bhp limit for the first 5 years for young drivers and make the test significantly more difficult to pass. Also link insurace using a tracker. And if anyone get caught without insurance then they get their cars take off then and a 5 year ban. All insurace should have automatic renewal to prevent people getting caught out with no insurance.

Happy now jaylaz73

druidh
    Free Member

stevewhyte – Member
    If you drove you would understand just how easy it is to stray over the limit at times

It’s an upper limit, not a target speed.

scaredypants

Hi Sharon

did you get that cheque I posted, only the heroin hasn’t arrived yet

nedrapier

Back to the OP, the 14 days to the name on the V5 is the only time bracket.

If it’s a company car, they’ve got 14 days to send it to your company, the company says “it’s him you’re after, he lives here”; then they can take their sweet time telling you about it.

Month and a half for me, I think.

And speedo’s overreading by 10% – less than that on my 9 year old mondeo. Then the GPS says 70, speedo reads 72.

andytherocketeer

Back to the OP

was 11 months ago. wonder what the outcomes were for the flashings above?

martinhutch

Is that 14 days from date of offence to doormat, regardless of Christmas post?

(I may have been ever so slightly over when I saw the van on the dual carriageway past Stirling on the weekend before last…)

druidh
    Free Member

Glitchybump

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Mobile Speed Camera's – How long before you were notified?’ is closed to new replies.