Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mobile phone headache.
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

Been a Nokia guy for years but…. with Ubuntu on all computers at home, should I go for HTC Desire HD or Nokia N8? Not many apps for the latter but do I really need them?

loddrik
    Free Member

The fact that nokia is throwing the towel in on symbian smartphones should tell you a lot. Htc all the way.

When nokia finally get a phone out running wp7 it should be cracker as you can’t fault nokia hardware, but symbian is a dead duck as a smartphone ecosystem.

CountZero

The last time I used a Symbian phone it wasn’t all it quacked up to be.

Coat, doorman…!

joemarshall
    Free Member

No point buying a smart phone without apps, that being the key difference between smart and not smart phones.

The n8 is based on a discontinued operating system that even the head of Nokia has just very publicly described as a pile of useless poo (that was roughly the gist of what he said) . Don’t expect there will be too many upgrades to fix the bugs on the n8 either.

It might change in a year or two, but right now I think it’s pretty much a choice between Android or iPhone if you’re wanting to spend fancy money on a phone.

Drac

Don’t even consider a W7 or Symbian phone makes it a pointless gesture getting a smartphone.

superfli
    Free Member

Depends on what you want from a smartphone. Still most important features for me are phoning, calendar, and camera, GPS+Sportstracking. Then comes internet use. Other apps are all very well, but I dont generally use them much. N8 fits my bill, and am very happy with it. Wife has an android phone which I setup for her, its good and keeps her very happy with lots of apps, but I’d choose my n8 everytime – camera is awesome, even video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUkCP5Swn74..
    But I am used to Symbian, people who havent used it before wouldnt be happy, very tough to setup how you like it and understand it. App support is no where near as extensive as Android market or Iphone. Yeah gutted that Nokia chief comes over from MS and then ditches Symbian for MS 🙄 publicly killing the N8. Still I have had 1 firmware update since and am expecting support for sometime still

bigsurfer
    Free Member

I have a N8 and am really happy with it, have a few apps but really I use it for the phone, camera, GPS, sportstracking and satnav all which work really well. Web browsing also works well and has flash but isn’t as fast as Iphone etc. Its horses for courses. I think for the list of features above the N8 is excellent. If you want lots of apps to waste your life with then better with one of the others.

loddrik
    Free Member

It’s funny how apps are only important when you don’t have access to them…

Drac

If you want lots of apps to waste your life with then better with one of the others.

Which Apps is that the numerous GPS, Sports and fitness, Satnav and Camera Apps or the 1000s of others?

Hairychested
    Free Member

I need the web, camera and sound in the phone. No longer do I run a business off one and Nokia seems natural to me. BTW I can have it for peanuts and it fits my pockets (HTC is huge to me). I’m also looking at the C7.

SamCooke
    Free Member

I had a phone with the Sybian operating system, generally useless, but the vibrate function!! 😯

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mobile phone headache.’ is closed to new replies.