Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Mobile Phone Insurance Cover – any recommendations
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

Junior has lost phones a couple of times on nights out and whilst he hasn’t done it for over a year he has a new iphone which I’d really like insured.

I have cover through my bank but there’s a £100 excess and I want to switch to a free account anyway as I don’t need the crap that I get by paying £12.50 a month.

Best I can find is gadgetinsurance.com at £70.

Any recommendations?

Cougar

Accidental damage / loss cover on your home insurance?

Gary_M
    Free Member

No as this would affect our no claims and excess is about £250 I think anyway – which is equivalent to about 4 years insurance cover,

CountZero

Didn’t the supplier of the phone offer insurance? They usually do in fact I only recently realised I was still paying £6.50/month cover on my three year old iP6+, which I’ve just cancelled.

deadkenny
    Free Member

How frequently would the phone be replaced normally? Just save the money for a new phone down the line. If it’s lost/damaged, buy new one, if not, time for a new one anyway.

If he’s losing expensive phones, get him crap cheap phones 😀 Or he buys the phone himself and maybe then looks after it 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How frequently would the phone be replaced normally? Just save the money for a new phone down the line. If it’s lost/damaged, buy new one, if not, time for a new one anyway.

I tried that.

Problem is that a 2yr old phone still costs considerably more than 2 years insurance premiums (assuming the phone get’s broken ~2 years).

irc

Problem is that a 2yr old phone still costs considerably more than 2 years insurance premiums

There’s your mistake right there. I’d be telling Junior that since he treats his phone as a disposable item then if he loses this one it’s replacement will be a disposable cheapo non smart PAYG.

Edit I feel your pain. When my daughter was a teenager with no mobile phone (albeit while back) we had to get a block on mobile numbers being called from our landline after a big bill despite previous warnings. A

After two replacements surely the ball is in his court now?

Gary_M
    Free Member

He’ll be paying for the insurance himself. At £70 a year and a phone costing £480 insurance makes sense for a couple of years anyway. He also bought the phone with his own money.

And 6.50 a month is more than 70 pa

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Premium bank account?

I pay 17 quid a month IIRC which includes mobile phone for all 3 of us, holiday insurance and breakdown cover for both of our cars. To be honest, I’d have binned it ages ago as I don’t want to like it, but looking at pricing all this individually it makes sense, I can’t get it cheaper.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m ditching the premium bank account. Exceed on mobile loss is £100, breakdown cover only tows the car 10 miles so I’m moving to a free account and buying better cover.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fair dos, my car recovery isn’t limited like that, excess wouldn’t bother me too much on a 600 quid phone.

manvstarmac

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/extras/gadget/ for £52/year, although you may have to have had a previous insurance with them. I can’t quite work out if that’s what the * is saying

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mobile Phone Insurance Cover – any recommendations’ is closed to new replies.