Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Mobile for your gran (or grandad)
  • z1ppy

Serious not a joke

Bad eye sight run in my partners family, anyways her gran is getting on a bit but would like a mobile for emergency's.
    Any one bought one of these or something similar?

clubber
    Free Member

LOL.

My grandparents each have mobiles but they keep them switched off when apart but agree a time to switch them on to call eachother (when say one of them is heading into London and wants to be picked up from the tube station). We've explained that the battery will last several days but they still do it and they're still pretty sharp for people in their 80s/90s…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Previous threads have discussed this – old nokias seem to get the vote.

My mum (82) is incapable of using hers (a modern basic nokia). She got an emergency callout necklace/pendant thing for at-home emergencies.

tron
    Free Member

Old people and mobiles is problematic in my experience. They turn them off except for when they want to make a call, they use them so irregularly that the PAYG sims are de-activated etc.

They often think things that we would regard as utterly bonkers – that recieving calls costs money for example.

In principle, I can see a phone like that working well, but the biggest problems are with the user, not the kit. I'd recommend sitting and having a serious conversation about how you use it, what everything costs etc.

PiknMix
    Free Member

We bought my granddad that exact one as he couldn't see the buttons on the other one he had. He loves it and it gives us peace of mind that if he needs us he can actually see the buttons to get through to us 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Great idea. To you and me it may seem huge etc but Our older generation are tuned differently anyway.

simon_g

The Register reviewed some not long ago:

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/05/04/grouptest_oap_phones/

z1ppy

I'm sure I had one that size 10 years ago… yeah can agree with all the comments about about the misconceptions of the older generation, as my own gran & my mum have normal mobiles that are never swithced on.

Pik n Mix, though cheers for the comment, I think my partners family want to go this way for piece of mind.

PiknMix
    Free Member

it really doesn't matter what anything looks like if they can use it and it could possibly save their life, hope it works out z1ppy 🙂

flippinheckler
    Free Member

amplicom m5000 or m5010 great for hard of hearing folks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Mobile for your gran (or grandad)’ is closed to new replies.