• This topic has 28 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by drlex.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Mobile Data Jamming Equipment
  • Coyote
    Free Member

Can’t go into too many details but one of my clients has indicated that they would like to look at the options for jamming mobile data signals on their premises. I must admit that this is the first time I’ve been asked for this although I’m sure that the tech exists.

Does anyone on here have experience of this? A quick google indicates that they could actually be illegal.

wombat

IME it is actually illegal to install or use (or possibly even possess) jamming equipment.

I was asked a similar question by a client in relation to a new build office building about 18 months ago, took legal advice and was told it’s covered in the (IIRC) wireless and telegraphy act.

For some reason quite a lot of steelwork was used in the final design, including a fair bit of foil backed plasterboard….can’t think why.

willard

My understanding is that this would be illegal.

However, lining things with a lot of metal/foil/mesh would go a long way to stopping people using mobile phones. Or, you could just move to near me. I can’t get a phone signal…

aracer
    Free Member

Agreed, it’s illegal, and you can’t even use something which “isn’t intended” to jam mobile signals, as there are regulations on what rf signals you’re allowed to emit (I’ve been involved in evaluation and discussions of regulation of emissions due to ADSL and powerline internet transmissions – thankfully the latter never took off, as it would have been horrible). Though as everybody else mentions, there are no regulations about passive measures – if you know what you’re doing it’s possible to make a building into a Faraday cage.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes, jamming is illegal because it’s basically a transmitter – I looked at this briefly WRT a mobile phone range booster, also illegal.

Shielding is the way to go – not sure if chicken wire is the right gauge for the mobile wavelength, might want to go foil-backed, and earth it of course.

wombat

Edit,

question already answered 😆

jimdubleyou

If it’s specifically mobile data signals you want to block and you want to allow voice that’s going to be hard.

3G & GSM use a similar band IIRC.

jam-bo

I’ve worked in a place where all mobile phone had to be kept in signal blocking pouches or handed in at reception. To not do so was gross misconduct.

allthepies
    Free Member

As above, places where mobiles aren’t to be used don’t block the signals but require everyone to lock the phones away or hand them in. If you don’t then deep doo-doo.

If the outfit decide to start blocking signals and get found out then very deep doo-doo.

scrumfled
    Free Member

Blocking is illegal. Your options are either policy, or making the building a faraday cage. Ones cheap and easy, the other isnt 🙂

Coyote
    Free Member

Thanks very much for the info!!!

footflaps

If it’s specifically mobile data signals you want to block and you want to allow voice that’s going to be hard.

Standard way, which is often used by security services to sniff traffic, is to install a local Node B and spoof the ID of the network (eg O2), then people’s handsets register with your local BS and you just pass the traffic on transparently, but can sniff it all. You could tweak the NodeB to throttle or bar data but let voice through.

All illegal though as the NodeB is a transmitter…

pondo

But how else do you stop people cheating at pub quizzes? 🙁

jimdubleyou

Standard way, which is often used by security services to sniff traffic, is to install a local Node B and spoof the ID of the network (eg O2), then people’s handsets register with your local BS and you just pass the traffic on transparently, but can sniff it all. You could tweak the NodeB to throttle or bar data but let voice through.

All illegal though as the NodeB is a transmitter…

I was more thinking about mesh design / size in a faraday cage, but this is much more sneaky.

footflaps

I was more thinking about mesh design / size in a faraday cage

That would block everything….

Although many years ago I worked somewhere that did real Secret Squirrel stuff and we had Faraday cage rooms with huge earth meshes on all the windows etc so no signals could get in or out, mainly to stop someone outside sniffing the EM from the CRT computer monitors. Triple glazed, dampened windows to stop laser micorphones picking up conversations etc. There were rumours the walls had a 10k Volt mesh inside them to stop anyone drilling through to plant a microphone – never did find out if that was real.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

It’s illegal to jam or interfere with radio signals. Doesn’t stop the big mobile operators from crapping all over our network because theirs is newer than ours.

jimdubleyou

That would block everything….

If I remember my degree correctly, you need to design your cage with the right mesh for the frequency you want to block. Something about 1/10th of the wavelength?

In my defence, it was about 20 years ago and that space in my brain has long been used up by newer useless trivia.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve operated a micro cell, so it’s clearly not totally illegal to do, though I presume it’s not that straightforward to get authorisation.

zippykona

We back onto a park and sometimes have a problem with noise from RC cars.
    They could walk for 5 minutes more and not annoy anyone.
    My neighbour works for a not so secret employer in Vauxhall. He has some sort of gubbins that interferes with the remote control. No more noise!

rob
    Free Member

Posted from a metal box with wire mesh on the inside walls

footflaps

I’ve operated a micro cell, so it’s clearly not totally illegal to do, though I presume it’s not that straightforward to get authorisation.

AIUI without permission of the spectrum license holder it would be an offence (unless it operated in unlicensed spectrum).

As an aside, US laws are very different, you own the spectrum in your house / property so can do as you please at home, hence repeaters / jammers are widely available and used there.

mps711
    Free Member

You need a wave bubble, I found this a few years ago when they were talking about putting things in cars to track your speed, location etc.

Apparently it was designed as part of someones thesis to create a personal ‘bubble’ around you to block phones etc. for use in restaurants and cinemas.

Totally illegal obviously, but quite an interesting read.

http://www.ladyada.net/make/wavebubble/index.html

takisawa2

Just sign all the employees up to O2. 🙂

Coyote
    Free Member

😆 😆 😆

Yeah, that’d work too!

footflaps

Apparently it was designed as part of someones thesis to create a personal ‘bubble’ around you to block phones etc. for use in restaurants and cinemas.

Nothing new, car cigarette socket powered jammers are widespread – mainly used to stop tracking of stolen vehicles / illicit use of company vehicles.

Been a few surveys counting their use from motorway bridges, seeing how many cars / vans are using them.

http://www.techworld.com/news/security/gps-jamming-caused-by-moonlighting-truck-drivers-research-suggests-3425947/

antigee

“mps711 – Member
    You need a wave bubble, I found this a few years ago when they were talking about putting things in cars to track your speed, location etc”

i used to think was losing gps signal in city centre because of high buildings but more likely taxis with gps jammers

http://acma.gov.au/Citizen/Consumer-info/All-about-spectrum/High-risk-devices/taxi-driver-convicted

lerk
    Free Member

“Bob Cockshott” 😀 you’d change it wouldn’t you?!

jimmy

You can *apparently* buy signal jammer from China on eBay. A friend (honest) had one a few years back and it was so funny watching all mobile users in the vicinity get annoyed at their phones when he switched it on. I tried to get one but couldn’t find them.

drlex
    Free Member

They are amusing and useful – allegedly. Great to make those who make loud and seemingly endless calls on trains get up and find better reception – apparently. Best $30 I never spent, officer.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Mobile Data Jamming Equipment’ is closed to new replies.