Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Mobile confusion! help please
  • emsz
    Free Member

Do I need 1gb data download per month? I come on here a couple of times a day maybe. Does that download include emails and stuff? And when I’m using my home wifi will it count then as well?

All this stuff does my head in

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I was always told that if I got lost..

A)I should stand still, not keep wondering about.
    B)Ask a responsible adult in a posititon of authority for help.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Unlikely by the sounds of it/yes/no.

Cletus

Any data including web browsing, apps that connect to the Internet to use data, instant messaging and emails will come out of your data allowance.

If you are at home and connected to wifi that will not count against your mobile allowance.

1GB is enough for most typical users but if you look at lots of videos or similar then you may use more.

I would try to find an unlimited data tariff so you do not have to worry about it.

emsz
    Free Member

Thanks cynical. That’s what I thought. Cletus I can’t afford those sorts of contracts!!

Yeti sound advice

So when I’m on a wifi network at home or college it doesn’t count right?

glenh
    Free Member

So when I’m on a wifi network at home or college it doesn’t count right?

How can it? You are connected to the wifi network, not the phone network.

Anyway, most smartphone users only use about 200MB a month, so unless you are planning on doing a lot of file downloading, music streaming etc, any standard 500MB/1GB type deal will be fine.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

500GB is fine for most people. Only if you start streaming videos/music/radio, etc, are you likely to go over it, and then IIRC all they do is slow down your network connection speed.

molgrips
    Free Member

1Gb is a lot of mobile surfing. You are unlikely to need it if you are just surfing. If you listen to online radio or watch online video then perhaps.

It probably does include emails (but maybe not) but you aren’t going to be downloading big attachments on a phone, are you?

And if you set it up to choose your home wifi as preference then that will not affect your 1Gb from your mobile company, as you will not be going via them.

Basically text is nothing compared to images, banner ads, videos, music and that stuff. So emails will not be a big drain, nor will mobile specific sites 🙂

Cougar

500GB is fine for most people.

500Mb.

I’m a geek and I don’t use 500Mb / month.

WiFi does not equal “data” in those terms.

emsz
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Just spoke to sales idiot again. All sorted. :mrgreen:

Cletus

You can get a HTC Wildfire with unlimited* Internet on T-Mobile for 15.32 a month.

*They do limit file transfers and streaming to 500MB but surfing and email should be unlimited.

ArcticBeast
    Free Member

if your are looking for a completely unlimited data package have a look at the 3’s the one plan £25 a month, someone tried to see how much data they could download and I think in a month they managed 14Gb.

I know from personal experience using orange that if you do go over your limit they do charge you, I got lumped with over £300 bill one month after they forgot to tell me my data package had finished.

Oh and if its an android phone, they do seem to use a shed load of data, so keep an eye on that.

bakey

This new site is pretty good for comparison purposes:

http://www.billmonitor.com/

stumpy01

I know on T-Mobile that if you go over your allowance, they will still allow you general surfing stuff/picking up e-mail but you won’t be able to use things like YouTube/iPlayer etc.

Your wi-fi will use whatever data agreement you have with your broadband provider as that is where you will be getting the data from.

Just as a guide, I recently moved and had no internet for 6 weeks. I set-up my phone as a wi-fi hotspot so we could use the laptop through the phone connection. Even doing that and using it for quite a lot of web surfing we didn’t get up to 1gb of data usage/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Mobile confusion! help please’ is closed to new replies.