Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Mobi vs Dirtworker – anyone used both?
  • Special_ized_Jamie

Need to get a mobile washer as I live in flat and am 'not allowed to wash it in the bath anymore'

These I think are the main two options and seem pretty similar in price but anyone spotted problems with either?

stumpy01

I've got a Dirtworker & a mate has got the Mobi one. They seem quite similar in terms of performace, although I think the Mobi stores more water.
    His power cord has gone faulty in the cigarette lighter connector and he's only used it a handful of times, but that's probably just an unfortunate occurrence & not something to base your purchase on.

You can get the Mobi (I think) with a rechargable pack, but I don't know if that's loads more cash – I assume it is.

I think the Mobi has a valve on the cap, rather than a load of holes in (like the Dirtworker) to let air in as you use the water. With my Dirtworker you can get a very small quantity of water sloshing out if it's brimmed full, but I seem to remember reading that dirtworker had swapped the holes for a similar valve. My dirtworker is about 2 yrs old now, so it's probably had a few updates since then.

z1ppy

I have a dirtworker and a m8 has the Mobi V17 (battery), he say my DW is extremely similar to his mobi in terms of output pressure, though he say you don't get the pulsing on the jet (which most ppl maintain helps break up/off dirt).
    If youre looking at the battery pack versions, note that Dirtworker also sell the Nomad now.

Customer service from DW is 2nd to none from posts on here, & I've just had to replace my nozzle and they were extremely prompt and very helpful.

spacecadett
    Free Member

Mrs Spacecadett bought me a Mobi for Christmas as she was fed up of me messing up the car & cleaning my bike in the bath (I also live in a flat).

I have the standard 15 litre model, it's brill! I have never found the need for the additional battery pack and its water capacity is enough for 2 bikes.

A mate has a Dirtworker and I don't think it is as good (but mine is newer).

guitarhero
    Free Member

I hate my Mobi. The connection between the hose and the tank is pants and water pisses out. At the weekend water started pissing out where the hose meets the trigger.

timmys

I've always loved my Dirtworker and it seems people have had great service from the company.

You obviously have to take it with a pinch of salt, but the dirtworker website goes to some effort to demonstrate that their competitors (unnamed but you have to assume Mobi) are some what liberal with the truth in their claims that their products are more powerful, have more capacity and are quieter etc, than the dirt worker:
    http://www.dirtworker.co.uk/products/performance-tests.html

timmys

To add to what I wrote above, posting in this thread reminded me that I needed to contact dirtworker about a replacement o-ring that I had damaged – filled in the form on their website asking what size it would be so I could source a replacement. Less than two minutes later I got an email asking for my address so they could send me some free of charge! So I can now personally vouch for the customer service being rather quick to respond (to put it mildy) and very generous!

Special_ized_Jamie

I'm a big fan of good customer service so think the Dirtworker might have just edged it.

Guessing there are no deals around on these at the moment????

MartinGT
    Free Member

Ive got the Mobi and its the NUTS. Plenty of cable for the connection to the lighter thing. Plenty of capcity for two bikes.

Good fish!

Mark

We have both.. Head2Head test coming soon 🙂

rotary
    Free Member

WASHER i got one of these, handy coz you dont have to fill the washer its self, you just take seperate containers with water. picked mine up new for £60.

Special_ized_Jamie

New for £60?

Halfords?

Seem to be around £85 everywhere at the mo. Few have popped up on eBay which have gone for around the £60 mark.

squin
    Free Member

I have a dirtworker and would strongly recommend them. After 5 years of being battered. I had an internal hose spring a leak. I emailed customer servive and they couldn't be more helpful, I received a pack of spares FOC within 2 days.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Go for the dirtworker, you cant go wrong I love mine.. 8) Second the customer service point they are alway super helpful..

hora
    Free Member

Say you have 40 dirty rides a year and its £90?

I see it as faff. Sorry.

stumpy01

How so a faff?
    It's far easier to clean the bike straight after a ride than doing it once all the mud has dried on hard.
    It takes 5mins max to get dirtworker out, clean bike, lube chain etc, and put the dirtworker away. I cleaned my bike on Monday after riding it on Sat and it took the best part of an hour to do.

You could argue it is expensive for what it is (although I don't agree), but there is no way it is a faff…..

hora
    Free Member

Stumpy it depends how clean you like your bikes. For me, chain off, concentrate on rear cassette, rings, wipe stanchions and thats it.

Especially if I'm riding twice in a weekend. Otherwise its once a month full strip down at home with all the bits individually cleaned and relubed.

uplink
    Free Member

Say you have 40 dirty rides a year and its £90?

You're right Hora
    £90 – what's that? 30 full English breakfasts? 20 Fish & chip meals?
    so about 6 weeks supply for you

Think of the weight you'd lose if you bought one 😀

stumpy01

Fair enough – but you can do what you describe with the dirtworker too – I hardly ever have to remove the chain as giving it a blast while spinning the pedals & relube straight after riding keeps it pretty clean, same for the cassette & the chainrings.
    In fact, the chainrings/crank/bb/front mech area is one of the best bits about using some kind of jet wash thing – it cleans it without you having to poke around with different brushes while taking the skin off your knuckles on the chain rings, and it'll get the dirt out from the gaps between the 'rings with no bother.
    And it's not just about how clean you like your bike – it helps keep my car clean as well.

I keep a couple of microfibre cloths with my riding bits (~£1.50 from Tesco) to dry down bits like the stanchions before I give them a lube up.

It was one of those things I ummmmmed and aaaahed about getting for ages, as I did think it was expensive. But the first time i used it, it became clear that it was a worthwhile buy.

hora
    Free Member

£90 – what's that? 30 full English breakfasts? 20 Fish & chip meals?

Mongo WANT

benman
    Free Member

I've had both, I had the mobi for a few weeks, before it started leaking water from the bottom (must have been coming from the pump). I thought the pressure was good on the mobi, but the hose connections were rubbish.

The dirtworker I've got now doesn't seem to be quite as powerful, but seems to be better made. The hose connections are far better too.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Had both. Mobi wins hands down.

Holds more, capable of more pressure which makes it better at cleaning sticky mud.
    Mains connector is a real bonus as well.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

yes used both .

dirtworker is better built.quality on the mobi is really poor.
    returned mine for a dw.it kept not starting after releasing trigger,you had to wait at least 5 minutes every time you released the trigger.

prefered the power & the spray of the mobi & the fact you could 240v or 12v.

if i was buying again i would buy a cable free battery dw.

anyone suggests a garden sprayer must ride where only pixie dust blows gently on your painwork as ive seen/used/borrowed several & they are useless.

andrewh
    Free Member

I've had both. Mobi gave up after around a year, dirtworker apears much better put together but is only a weeks old so can't comment on longetivity yet. Both have plenty of oomph for shifting wet mud, although Mobi does hold more water. Would choose the DW if I were you.

Actually, best I've seen wasn't either, nor a garden sprayer. Saw someone at a cross race with a fire extinguisher, excellent. But you do need the recharge kit to re-presurise…

[EDIT] Mobi available for spares/repair if anyone interested? Something wrong with the pump but I'm useless with electrics so don't know what.

Special_ized_Jamie

Smaller resevoir doesn't concern me too much as there is always somewhere to refil it or can carry a few extra litres.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Mobi vs Dirtworker – anyone used both?’ is closed to new replies.