• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hh45.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Moab
  • dunmail
    Free Member

I’m thinking about a trip to Moab and nearby areas next year and have a few questions.

Is it better to fly to Denver or Salt Lake City? Not much difference in price but some of the transfer times to SLC are long. It’s about an hour further from Denver to Moab. Any airlines to avoid – I know most of the American carriers don’t have a good reputation even among Americans.

Take our own bikes or hire? I’ve not checked what the costs /weight allowances for bikes are on transatlantic flights. If we take our own, what’s the deal with tyre pressures and tubeless on flights

Should we hire an RV or just a car and use motels? If an RV, what are the typical RV parking charges? Within reason, cost isn’t an issue.

Finally the important bit! Which trails to ride and areas to visit?

kcr
    Free Member

I’ve used both destinations, but preferred Denver, because I was able to drive to Moab over a few days, stopping off at some of the Colorado trails on the way. I would just hire a car; I think an RV would just be unnecessary hassle and expense.

metalheart
    Free Member

Well, the main problem if you take your own bikes is how long will they take to arrive after you do… Flown into Denver twice. First time the bikes took 4 days, second they delivered at 1am. Best to fly direct (stop overs can complicate matters, see 1st time).

Don’t know about SLC but Boulder is a cool place to hang out.

As per kcr Denver to Moab you can take in quite a few places en route (Crested Butte, Leadville, Durango, etc) which is what I’ve done personally.

I’m not a great fan of Moab (although Porcupine Rim was my second favourite day ever on a bike) I’d rather go back to CB and Monarchs Crest looks brilliant.

So whichever way gives you fewest stopovers and which route can take in the best places on the way. To me, that’d be Denver.

Oh both times two bikes and a hired car were fine. Just make sure you hire a big enough car. Don’t forget you need to state out of state use if you land in CO. And don’t forget the extra insurance that ‘mericans have by use of their c.cards.

Have fun whatever though :mrgreen:

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Virgin to Las Vegas is another option, and the bikes go free. The drive from LV to Moab is spectacular.

Last time we did this our bikes arrived with us, but came back to the UK one day after…. Make sure you check in early I reckon.

Moab has too many trails to mention, so do some research. But don’t miss Whole Enchilada and Captain Ahab. Pipedream, which starts on the edge of town is a fun challenge too, and short.

If you go in October you can catch the Outerbike festival.

Have fun!

lapierrelady

We flew to Denver in October (no problems with bikes) then drove. Do do do stop in Fruita/Grand Junction. Drop into OTE sports in Fruita for a guidebook and enjoy the sweet technical singletrack in the surrounding hills.
    http://otesports.com/
    Check out the Hot Tomato Pizza place if you’re stopping over.

More info on Moab here: http://chilebikes.com/site/

ninfan
    Free Member

As mentioned, Denver allows you to do Fruita on the way back.

Could be tempted by doing Vegas though, I’ll bet car hire etc. can be got a lot cheaper there too?

ampthill

I did this in the 1990s so bear this in mind. Oh nd i was in the US based out of Boulder for 3 months and a further 6 months other adventures

In that trip I thought Moab was a high spot. Some of the riding is and scenic. Some is scenic. But I suspect that as the riding has moved on and other destinations made MTB specific trails its not the best riding venue. Hmm i think I mean your their for the location

Driving form Denver its scenic and as described here gives good stop over options. But it is a long way

Back then our flights included 2 bags each upto 72 lbs. The boxed bike was one of these

The RV Parks in Moab looked a bit sterile to me and I saw some cool Hotels. So I’d for hotels. own transport is really useful but bikes in the car seem fine

Depending on what you want from your holiday consider

being guided round the “White rim trail”. To be honest its not the best cycling but its unbelievably scenic and you camp in really cool places. I still rate as good as any trip ever.

Buy a good route guide before you go and a map. he planning will add to the fun

Go for as long as you go as it took us a while to get use to riding at altitude

markgraylish
    Free Member

I’m off to Moab for about the 8th time in October, but I’m driving down from Vancouver.
    I’ve also flown into both LV and SLC on prior occasions, though never Denver.

LV to Moab is about 7hrs drive, SLC to Moab about 5hrs. Not sure about Denver…

Anyway, it depends on whether your priority is to get to Moab asap or whether you want to ride elsewhere on the way there or back.

If you fly into LV, Gooseberry Mesa is well worth a ride (just outside Zion National Park). From SLC, you could also ride in Park City

Personally, I find southern Utah much more interesting visually than the Rockies (ie via Denver) so it’s a more scenic drive.

If you do fly in via Denver, stop off in Grand Junction and make sure you ride “The Ribbon” <though in reality, both Fruita and Grand Junction can be done as day trips from Moab>

(Of course, the other thing to consider is flying into one airport and out of the other – best of both worlds, though check your rental car conditions before opting for this)

hh45
    Free Member

We did October half term and weather was sunny but quite cold. If that matters.

We flew BA direct Terminal 5 – Denver and was a v good service. as others say, less chance to lose bikes and if BA not on strike service is good and T5 is a joy. (if you’re a southerner).

Fruita is well worth a day or maybe 2.

Its good – Go!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Moab’ is closed to new replies.