• This topic has 37 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by krag.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • MK2 Golf GTi
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

so I’m gonna put this back on the road:

as the insurance is only £210 fully comp with breakdown, its all serviced, T&T’d I figure it could make a handy runabout for the odd biking day out to the land of dragons and dashes to the coast.

I’ve not driven it in anger or attempted to get the bike in, will it fit with the seats down or is it back to taking the wheels out? (I miss my old ovlov)

I heard you can expect to get around 30mpg, I’m guessing its gonna be more like 25mpg around town?

any one else got one?

5thElefant
    Free Member

The wife had one. Went better backwards than forwards.

MrNutt
    Free Member

mmm I was afraid of that, though my thoughts of “having some fun with it” have been a tad dampened by this thread on pistonheads:

ouch!

Raindog
    Free Member

Late 8V Gti should be good for 30 mpg or so. Getting on a bit now though, but I’d have another one if the circumstances were right. I must admit I’d prefer a 3 door 16V model though.

SaxonRider

Man, that bicycle must have been going at some speed!

tron
    Free Member

Got two of them.

That’s an 8V with the PB engine, so Digifant rather than K-Jet injection.

It’ll be good for 40-50mpg on a steady run, and so long as it’s set up properly. 35mpg would be a general razzing about figure I suppose. The timing often gets set incorrectly, and there are a fair few vacuum hoses which need to be in good nick for the car to run right, and that’s where I’d start if it seems down on power / using too much fuel.

My experience is that you’d need to really try to get a MK2 sideways. They’re more neutral to understeery.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I had a G reg one like that. I used to get 40mpg on a run no problem and mid 30s on shorter trips/commute – it took real thrashing to drive the mpg into the 20s.

Never loved my digifant one like the K Jetronic one I had before though 🙁 Some scrote nicked that one and it was recovered on the Blackbird Leys estate.

Fantastic cars of their day but pretty dated now.

amplebrew

That’s nice 8)

I used to have a black 8v 3 door a few years ago.

The mk 2 is best Golf IMHO

A nice set of G60 steelies would set that off a treat 8)

thepurist

Mrs P ran an 8V from new until it hit around 230K in 2008 – it averaged 40+ on the commute driven steadily. She was gutted about finally losing it & has to put up with a 2.0TT these days.

ART

No idea about mileage 40 ish going steady?, front wheel off will go in with seat down and boo hoo you are making me miss our old MK2GTi 🙁 which we only sold after 15 years of faithful service with nearly 200k on the clock, never missed a beat, little pocket rocket, loved it, loved it. 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

to be honest I was going to sell it but the fact that the insurance is so cheap I’d be a fool!

With the morris minor as the town car (tax exempt, £120 fully comp & runs on a cup of fuel a week), the golf only being used for milage and the faultless Orange Subzero I’m quite happy with my little fleet 🙂

hamishthecat
    Free Member

The second gearbox on mine finally killed the car with 236k on the clock. The only thing I’d had done to the engine was valve stem seals.

Was a Montego gearbox 😯 but I kept quiet about that.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Don’t be worried about the strength of them, I had the equivalent of a 90mph impact in my old Jetta which flung the other car over 30 foot in the air before it landed on my roof, it wasn’t bad at all considering.

Was that pic up there a motorbike or post impact?

K-jet valvers and small bumpers are the way forwards though.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Ye bugger… 😉

Anyhow, seats down and front wheel off the bike will fit no bother.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I had 2

A D plate (kjet)

and a G plate(digifant)

Always felt the older D plater was quicker than the later G plate.

Great cars

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I taught myself to drive in a Mk1 Golf. 🙂

It wasn’t mine though.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I always wanted one of these…

thejesmonddingo

I had a 16v Mk2,lovely car.
    Ian

dobo
    Free Member

i had mk2 16v small bumper kjet, great car, brings back good memories. sold it for silly money in the end.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Only problem is that while the old cars were great, new ones are so much better.

My wifes Suzuki Swift is waaaaaaaaay better and much more fun but rose tinted specs still make me want one again. But the Swift is better…

but I would still probably get one if the chance came up…

M6TTF
    Free Member

I always wanted one of these…

mmm. rallye G60 🙂 – so cool, mate had one for a good few years. I liked the G60 limited, far more ‘Q-car’

veedubs rock 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

I run a Mk2 8-valve and it’s ****’ ace. Does around high 30s to low 40’s to the gallon, more if you drive like a granny. It’s still passably quick cos it’s light, sorted suspension and bushes means it handles. I take both wheels off the bike, which takes, what, a massive, life-altering two minutes – and it’s fine. Economic, quite fast enough, good fun on twisty roads and has ‘thing’. Go kart.

You have to remember that STW is a strange, parallel universe where a Spanish-made, VAG turbo diesel estate is regarded as a high performance, massively desirable vehicle…

Proper car 😉

[the one I had before had a TSR-tuned motor in and was very entertaining, but as standard, economical and practical]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My first car was a F plater….

Best car ever, IMO.

Big enough to be big, but neither too massive nor tiny
    Classy enough to fit in anywhere, but not too showy
    Fast enough for fun, but not silly

I loves the MkII

marvincooper

I had one and it was great, got 40mpg no problem and it was fun to drive. Had a couple of other Mk2’s as well (not GTis though) and a VR6. Enjoyed them all in different ways.. Miss the GTi a bit, brother in law had it for a couple of years then it died. Now got a Mk1 cabby, if only the sun would come out….

Mugboo

I’ve had a Mk1 Gti, Mk2 Gti 8v and Mk4 Gti.

I now drive a T4 van.

I loved my Mk2 the most.

What i’d really like is a Mk2, big bumper with 150bhp Tdi engine….

Pigface
    Free Member

I am running a H plate 4 door 8 valver. Its got a full service history and I am the 3rd owner. I love it.

WTF
    Free Member

My 16v ,30 -35mpg running about hard.Had a 16v for the last ten or so years and they help you remind what driving used to be like.
    Love it….

ART

Please stop now, or I’m going to find myself scanning the classifieds… 😉

Del

likewise!
    had the coupe myself ( two of ’em ). only way you’d get a golf backwards is if you were being silly or the brake balancing front/back was out, which is quite possible.
    nice motors above.

retro83
    Free Member

Nice cars, shame there are so few unmolested ones about these days. Bloody dubbers! <shakes fist>

M6TTF
    Free Member

Haha – praise the lowered! Must admit I love the show cars, especially the subtle ones, but I’ve reached the age where I have no interest in owning a car that catches every discarded lollipop stick lol

monkey_boy
    Free Member

i’d get your priorites right and give the house a new coat of paint first! 😉

hamishthecat
    Free Member

My 16v ,30 -35mpg running about hard.

Mmmm that’s nice – 16 valve 3 door in Oak Green – I lusted after those back in the day. Is that the ‘Campaign’ model?

juiced
    Free Member

i’ve got a car that age. They are very mostly great but can be a pain from time to time ( although mines french!) Nothing a decent mechanic ( not me) can sort though. I’d advise this – If there’s rust treat it with some POR15 from a Frosts. It is worth cleaning the inside of the alloys from brake dust from time to time. After it’s been used on snowy road spray all the the arches / underneath / behind plastic trim – with a hose to remove salt. It’s it worth throughly waxoiling the car too, (or using a similar product)

All the best – looks lovely 😀

WTF
    Free Member

hamishthecat – Member

My 16v ,30 -35mpg running about hard.

Mmmm that’s nice – 16 valve 3 door in Oak Green – I lusted after those back in the day. Is that the ‘Campaign’ model?

H reg ,not campaign.
    G60 brakes ,engine fully rebuilt by myself from my previous 1984 16v ,Mk3 Golf Recaro interior ,leather doorcards and steering wheel from a G60,Chromalux tinted rear windows from a Golf Rallye ,wider Castallet Alloys from a Corrado G60 ,Porsche tinted indicators and a full Sebring stainless exhaust system.
    Apart from that it is standard 🙂

M6TTF – Member
    Haha – praise the lowered! Must admit I love the show cars, especially the subtle ones, but I’ve reached the age where I have no interest in owning a car that catches every discarded lollipop stick lol

P.S. it is sitting on standard suspension setup.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

I just moved my MK1 cabby out of it’s hibernation hole today, (really needed to tidy the garage!)
    25 years old and it fired up first turn. Treating it to a tune up this year and think it may end up with a new roof too.
    I got it from my wife for my birthday last year as her holidays put pay to my Boxster (looking back it was maybe for the best) I wanted to have it as standard spec’ as possible but struggled to find the bits at a reasonable price (if at all) so ended up with this interior (matching door cards fitted too) for less than the equivalent of a couple of tanks of fuel!
    Still have all the original kit to return it to standard if/when I feel the need.

billysugger
    Free Member

Had an 8v, same colour, original wheels, 3 door, big bumpered 1989. It was a minter after a couple of head gasket changes. Absolutely loved it. Solid car.

No power steering is a good workout.

Sold it a friend and he wrote it off.

krag
    Free Member

Nutt stop being a fanny, it’s a golf GTI don’t worry about the mpg just razz it around Swindon like you stole it 🙂

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘MK2 Golf GTi’ is closed to new replies.