Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Mixing 'Superstition' – Brilliant article (with isolated tracks!)
  • Lifer
    Free Member

Not just for the musos on here*… I got linked to this today as I was after some help with adapting the song for a three-piece and the mixing came up in conversation. The isolated horns are incredible and it’s great being able to hear how the different clav parts build up. Also great to hear vocals which are pretty much raw compared to most of the over-processed pop production we suffer today.

Mixing Superstition

It’s incredible how, despite the ‘limitations’ of 16 tracks (8 of which are clav!) the song sounds so big.

The full track list is:

3 Drum channels – Kick, Overheads hard panned L&R
    Synth Bass
    8 Clav – Various effects/panning
    2 Vocal – Doubled with some variation
    2 Horns – Hard panned L&R

Enjoy*

*I hope!

justinbieber

Thanks for that – that’s brilliant

Lifer
    Free Member

No worries, just passing it on!

birky
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yotPg4js2BI[/video]

jamj1974

Brilliant! Thanks for passing it along!

jamj1974

Brilliant! Thanks for passing it along!

edhornby

what is really astounding is that it’s recorded with no click track! the start point was stevie sitting at the clavinet with a mic and playing the whole song and singing the lead vocal with no other accompaniment

much of the ‘guide vocals’ were then used on the final mix with only some sections being tidied up by dropping in, and most of this was to fit around the horn parts that he was scatting on the guide vocal… awesome

Lifer
    Free Member

Not really, not a lot recorded with a click track in the good old days. Wasn’t until MIDI came in that it got ‘standard’

Fantasia is cited as the first recording using a click track (1940s I think) because they had to record each panned part separately.

shifter
    Free Member

That is really rather good. Thank you internet.

Lifer
    Free Member

Just realised how brusque my reply to you looks, ed. Didn’t mean it like that was just being quick!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Mixing 'Superstition' – Brilliant article (with isolated tracks!)’ is closed to new replies.