Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Mixing Sram GX / NX / XT components
  • matteggleton
    Free Member

Hi
    Ive just boight a complete new drivetrain and have a horrible feeling I’ve made a school boy error…. can anyone confirm if I’ve dropped a ball?

I’ve bought the following 11 speed items:
    Sram GX rear mech
    Sram GX rear shifter
    Sram XX1 chain

I was going to order either an XT or Sram NX rear cassette to go with it as I don’t have an xd freehub on my rear hub. But as the Sram GX cassette uses an XD freehub does this mean that the indexing on the GX shifeter and mech will be out of sync with the NX or XT cassette?? I can’t find any info on compatabillity between NX and GX anywhere.

Can anyone help please?

swanny853

There are people using shimano mech/shifter setups with xd cassettes so you should be fine.

Pretty sure the xd standard puts the cassette in the same place anyway

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I’m running a Sram XG1150 cassette (XD freehub) with a XT M8000 shifter and mech and KMC chain.

Runs spot on.

matteggleton
    Free Member

Dp

matteggleton
    Free Member

Ah thanks that sets my mind at rest if the reverse is being used it will work this way round too, it sounds good to me!

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

I’m running gx rear mech, x1 shifter and xt 11spd cassette & chain – shifts with perfection. No issues setting up, just worked

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Can you get the xd driver for your hub? Very much a fan of the lighter weight bigger range gx cassette. Outlasted the shimano ones locally too.

andyl
    Free Member

Have you seen the weight of the NX cassette?

Shimano XT or Sunrace MX8 11-46 would be my choice.

matteggleton
    Free Member

I can get the xd driver for sure, running mavic crossmax enduros its £60, a difference of £100 over all for a 40 / 50 gram weight difference over the XT but the 10 tooth lower gear is very tempting for sure.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah you will only buy the xd once too.

matteggleton
    Free Member

I think I might just just give in and bite the bullet, go for the xd driver and GX cassette then it’s job done

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yeah closing on on 3000km of hassle free riding on the GX so far. Simple thing seems to be keep a bit on top of the chain swaps but I let the first one go a bit far and it’s still working fine.

jamj1974

You will be fine with a shimano cassette but the SRAM GX and upwards models are lighter.

andyl
    Free Member

11-46 shimano/sunrace might be heavier but the advantage over Sram is if you have normal 104 bcd spider cranks you can run a larger chainring to clear the spider without sacrificing low gear. Especially useful if you want an oval ring.

matteggleton
    Free Member

Well I went gx throughout in the end, very happy with it, nice improvement over the x7 / x9 2×10 mix I had, the only slightly disappointing thing was that the old components were actually lighter overall!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Mixing Sram GX / NX / XT components’ is closed to new replies.