Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Mixing Shimano 11sp shifter with 10sp derailleur … or something else.
  • vincienup
    Free Member

Evening, I was under the impression this didn’t work due to cable pull and geo of RD on cassette, but I’ve come across a couple of references recently that lead me think some people are doing this.

I have an M985RD with a OneUp cage and an 11sp XT cassette doing nothing right now and I’m thinking the cage will solve the geo. So, if I were to pair it with an M8000 shifter on an 11sp cassette would I be in happy click land or would it be the start of a painful and partly successful bodge?

I tend toward SRAM so haven’t been paying as much attention to Shimano the last couple of years, but I’m looking at an interim setup for a bike that I don’t really want to spend £250+ on drivetrain components for if I can avoid it. Another option with the bits I have to hand would be to use the M985RD with an XT 10sp shifter and buy a wide range cassette.

asbrooks

I use an slx 11spd shifter, 11-46 sunrace cassette 11spd and a 10spd deore RD with the Oneup cage and it works really well.

vincienup
    Free Member

No modification needed?

asbrooks

Apart from the Oneup cage, no modifications at all.

dantsw13

I use the reverse – a 10spd setup and a 11spd rear mech as it’s designed for wide range cassettes. Can’t see an issue with doing the reverse.

vincienup
    Free Member

Cool. I suspect this will be my interim build then 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Mixing Shimano 11sp shifter with 10sp derailleur … or something else.’ is closed to new replies.