Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Mixing Components like slx and xt
  • mtb1992
    Free Member

Hi guys

Need some advice am i right in thinking i can mix components aslong as all components are made for 10 speed which is what im running and its hyper glide which all my other components are.
    reason i ask is i have a shimano slx 670 triple chainset 10 speed but i want to use 10 speed shimano xt cassette, derallier and shifters ?
    is this ok ?

thanks
    tom

sharkattack

Yeah go for it!

Northwind

Yeah no bother. Though my Saint-on-XTR-on-XT-on-SLX-on-KMC-with-Works-Expander-and-Oneup-Radcage almost caused the Shimano tech guys at EWS physical pain when they saw it.

mtb1992
    Free Member

haha classic i kinda did think it would be fine. just wanted to make sure before. what a good cassette to choose from shimano ? has to be 10 speed

tom

dirtydog
    Free Member

SLX

bigblackshed

Merlin have the SLX at £20-23 and XT at £27-33 depending on ratio.

legend
    Free Member

Would usually agree, but when XT is this price you’d be mad not to https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-xt-10-speed-cassette-49363.html

mtb1992
    Free Member

thats what i mean xt seems to be good value. so id rather use that than slx

Northwind

Yah, at those prices XT. A good chunk of the weight difference actually comes from the XT lightweight lockring mind but still. Also, XT converts better with wide-range cassette expander doobries if you decide to go down that route later.

ratherbeintobago

For some things there is no actual difference – wrote off an SLX front mech and the XT replacement was more or less exactly the same apart from having ‘XT’ stamped out of the metal. Big exception used to be cassettes as the XT was lighter and had an alloy carrier, IIRC.

Spend money on shifters.

dawson

What about XT versus SLX crankset?

eshershore
    Free Member

@dawson

there’s not much in it really?

I have XT because a customer wore out both chainrings and gave me the crankset as it was cheaper for her to buy a new chainset on-line than replace the rings!

previous to that, I’ve had several SLX cranksets and they were excellent in performance and value

RicB

XT cassette, SLX everything else. Saint shifter if you’re running 1×10

scaredypants

awww, when did xt start to be called deore xt again ?

jakd95
    Free Member

@scaredypants – always has been hasn’t it?

jakd95
    Free Member

I think the Slx cranks look better than XT and not much in it weight wise. Plus Slx have steel threaded inserts so a bit more robust.

scaredypants

jakd95 – Member

@scaredypants
    – always has been hasn’t it?

Maybe – I thought they dropped it and just went for “xt” a while back

I’ve been a plain deore lad for a while 😉

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Mixing Components like slx and xt’ is closed to new replies.