Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Mixing and matching new Shimano lever with old calipers
  • jimc101
    Free Member

Hi All

I have an old LX M585 caliper unused, does anyone know it this is compatible with the new style levers, say an M666 SLX

TIA

Northwind

As long as the bores are comparable it’ll work (my M775 XTs ended up with an old XTR caliper on frinstance). If there’s differences in the piston bore then you’ll get variations in performance, which can be pretty hard to predict.

walleater

Yes.

shaxi
    Free Member

which can be pretty hard to predict

😯

i like this reply , it is always right ( joking ,sorry if offend )
    🙂

toys19
    Free Member

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that the older stuff isn’t compatible.

PJay
    Free Member

I’ve got old M585 levers working with newer M595 calipers. I was under the impression that the M595 is the same caliper as the even newer M596 caliper which, as a fully bled system, comes with narrower bore hose, and that I could add newer levers and hose if I wanted. I’d assumed that most Shimano levers and calipers were compatible. I could be wrong of course.

toys19
    Free Member

Any lever and caliper combo will work together in some way as long as the fluids they use are compatible and/or they don’t have fluid specific seals. As northwind points out different sized bores will have an effect. The force at the caliper is proportional to the ratio between the lever piston area and the caliper piston area. Most of the levers I have seen have similar-ish bores and I have seen plenty of combo’s and haven’t heard of one not working as yet. Goodridge sell all the fittings so you can easily get over the connectivity issue.

As an ex MC dispatch rider we would always mix and match brake systems – whatever was cheap and available.

Good link here to explain piston area’s and the relationship they have to piston force

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Mixing and matching new Shimano lever with old calipers’ is closed to new replies.