Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Missing I tunes artwork
  • bedwasboy
    Free Member

Hi all,

A real technophobe here! I recently dragged myself screaming and kicking into modern times and purchased an I Pod Touch. I then set up an I Tunes account and copied my 500+ CD collection onto my computer. However I have now noticed that some of the album artwork is missing. I tried all the Apple support fixes still there are some missing, I googled missing artwork and tried some of the downloads suggested there but still no luck. Any one out there know a way to get the artwork for my missing CD’s…?

Seasons Greetings

Vortexracing

go on google images, type in the album, copy the artwork onto your PC.

Then in I tunes multi slect all the track, right click to ‘get info’ and click in the artwork box, go to the downloaded piccie and hey presto.

davedodd
    Free Member

If you have iTunes and the Internet open at the same time you can drag and drop images straight over.

Vortexracing

now that i didn’t know. 😳

CountZero

This is a problem that’s been there from the beginning. It’s not iTunes fault, it relies on Gracenote for track info, and generally Amazon for cover art. Amazon don’t always match the cover art properly, and Gracenote don’t always get the track info right either. There is software available, called Coverscout, that aims to get all the right cover art, but I’ve never used it, so I don’t know how effective it is.
    As said its easy to sort, just select the top track for the album, shift click on the last track to select them all, then drag the largest image file you find into the artwork window at the bottom.
    I forgot to check the ‘find artwork’ button when I got my new Mac Mini, so I’ve got a couple of dozen albums lent by a mate that I had to find the cover art for. PITA!
    My fault, though. And I still find albums that have incorrect artwork on, out of 8-900 in iTunes.
    I might see about getting Coverscout myself, if I can find some reviews.

bedwasboy
    Free Member

Cheers all, I managed to recover some album artwork however I still have alot more to do..Thanks again

Sandwich

If you use a Mac there’s neat applescript app called Export Artwork which finds 95% of the album covers from all Amazon sites and resizes it for you. It relies on the album name and artist names being right and matching the Amazon listing which can lead to some interesting wrong finds!

CountZero

Sandwich, that backs up my experiences. I’ve had some interesting interpretations of what the album a/w should be on occasion.

GrahamS

Use Tune Up!

http://www.tuneupmedia.com/

It’s a (3rd party) add-on for iTunes that scans your collection, automatically identifies the music and finds cover art – it also fixes dodgy track data and other stuff.

[video]http://vimeo.com/17008069[/video]

CountZero

Cheers Graham, that looks nifty, I’ll try that out.

doh
    Free Member

sony use gracenote for their software but never had a prob with missing artwork like itunes. wonder where sony get the pics from?

CountZero

Gracenote only gives track info, and that relies on the info being correct in the first place. If there’s a flaw in Gracenote’s info, that can cause the art search on Amazon to be skewed. It’s not often iTunes gets the artwork wrong, I’ve had maybe ten or so out of getting on for 1000 albums. There are other artwork sources, iTunes is set up to use Amazon alone. And Amazon often relies on artwork being correctly sourced in the first place. Gracenote often doesn’t get band names correct, I’ve had it come up with Arcade Fire, and The Arcade Fire, Delays and The Delays.
    Nothin’s perfect.

GrahamS

One nice thing about Tune Up is that it recognises some albums have multiple different versions so it shows you all the album covers and lets you choose the right one.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Missing I tunes artwork’ is closed to new replies.