Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Miserable-itis virus hits the Chilterns
  • cinnamon_girl

What a gorgeous sunny day in the Chilterns today – bluebells were amazingly vivid together with that unique scent, red kites by the hundred and a herd of deer.

But … the other trail users … what a flippin’ miserable bunch 😯

I was on solo high-alert PR duty and greeted folk cheerily but was met with stony silence except for some horse riders whom I bumped into several times.

The Chilterns is the only area I have encountered where mountain bikers seem to be disliked, certainly one landowner I spoke with absolutely detested us.

Nevertheless I had a fantastic ride with dry trails and didn’t have to share them with any other mountain bikers 😀

nickc

Must admit, the only really serious encounter with walkers I’ve ever had has been in the Chilts, and that was on a Bridleway of all places. Most folk are OK though.

certainly one landowner I spoke with absolutely detested us.

Kimble Farm?

BluePalomino
    Free Member

Nevertheless I had a fantastic ride with dry trails and didn’t have to share them with any other mountain bikers [:D]

Any chance of some info on the whereabouts of these Chiltern trails? 🙂 or dont you want to share them?

cinnamon_girl

nick – I’ve ridden on my own a lot in the Chilterns and have even experienced groups of mtb’ers trying to push me out of the way on singletrack 😯

Yeah, Kimble Farm. That was about 18 months ago when I posted on here following a very unpleasant encounter there. There’s been some building work there but it looked a bit deserted. Is it not a livery yard any more?

Blue – no cheeky trails, honest! Couldn’t believe how quiet they were. It was the hard route from Singletrack mag around 18 months ago. Excellent route – bit of everything but lots of climbing.

nickc

Hmmmm, Kimble farm….I think the new? owners are trying to get the BW re-routed. Certainly they applied for a temporary relocation whilst they did some “building work”. I try to make it down there as often as I can in the name of maintaining “relationships…” 🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Next time, take a pair of pliers with you.

BluePalomino
    Free Member

Oh i know the area around Henley (i be local), but not sure if i’ve ever actually taken that bridleway past this infamous Kimble farm. Sounds like a must do next time – what exactly should i expect?
    CG – i must have missed the singletrack mag route. do you have more details?

cinnamon_girl

nick – now that is interesting. Couldn’t figure out why there were new gate posts plus security keypad thingy. How would folk get through? Good luck with fostering good relations!

Blue – the route is highly recommended. Basically start from Watlington, bearing right along The Ridgeway, bearing off to Dame Alice Farm, effectively climbing to the B481. At Cookley Green turn left onto Oxfordshire Way, through Nature Reserve and at Bix bottom take left bridleway to climb steeply. At top turn right Warmscombe Lane dropping down to B480. Turn right and at Middle Assendon turn left along Fawley Bottom Lane. Turn right and climb to Fawley. Take bridleway at Roundhouse Farm descending through Great Wood. At bottom turn left and climb to Upper Woodend Farm. At Kimble Farm turn right which brings you out to Dolesden Lane. Turn right towards Turville. Left at t junction towards village then after church take bridleway on left climbing into wood towards Turville Court. Stay on road til bridleway on right. Lovely gulley descent takes you onto Holloway Lane then steady 3 mile road climb to Xmas Common. Then descend Pyrton Hill.

There used to be an archived routes section but I guess this doesn’t happen now? If you check directions against OS map, it should be clear. Otherwise I could send you a gpx route if I can remember how to do it!

BluePalomino
    Free Member

thanks CG. Makes perfect sense. gpx thingy not necessary.

cinnamon_girl

You’re welcome 🙂

Sillyoldhector
    Free Member

This virus isnt endemic to the Chilterns, its spread as far as the Stiperstones and Long Mynd. There is the odd cheery rambler/horse rider that will at least acknowledge your existence and sometimes even open gates for you but the majority, including many MTB’ers are a right bunch of Les Miserables

cinnamon_girl

Stiperstones and Long Mynd – oooh, I’ve been to both but was a wee bit naughty on Stiperstones 😳 Accidentally rode a footpath in hailstones, blimey the weather was terrible that day.

But surely there are less folk around the Stiperstones area? Long Mynd I can accept will be busy with one of the alleged top 10 singletrack descents in the country – Minton Batch.

Sillyoldhector
    Free Member

An equal scattering on both really. I was very naughty on Long Mynd, got severely reprimanded for riding along the glider take off strip, thought it was a wide track!!

Dont get Minton Batch as being that good, especially at the top, i think its ben a victim of its own popularity and is now deeply rutted during the top 1/4, lovely scenerey tho.

cinnamon_girl

Was quite interesting to watch the gliders though! Felt sorry for the poor sheep having to put up with that noise.

Very disappointed with Minton Batch, agree about the top bit being eroded.

soobalias
    Free Member

you needed to be five or ten miles east of there, its much more friendly.

cinnamon_girl

Where would that be then?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

IIRC we did an in depth analysis of the miserable virus spread on the old forum. I think the results were the further north you are, the further from the road you are and the worse the weather is the less likely you are to encounter it. The only place I usually encounter it is on sunny weekend days on the urban paths around here

RudeBoy
    Free Member

In many years of cycling in Epping Forest, I’ve only encountered one or two arsey people. Most people are friendly and courteous. Mountain Biking is permitted, but not everyone is aware of this. Still, to only have a couple of incidents, in years of riding, is pretty bloody good.

Speshly seeing as it’s in the miserable, moany unfriendly south…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Rudeboy – try smiling at folk on the bus or other public places down there – see how you get on. Its one thing I really noticed when I lived in London – smile at people they think you are a loony

RudeBoy
    Free Member

There’s certainly more competition for space, down here, which can make people feel a little more on edge, but I find that once you’ve got over the initial wariness, people can be fine.

I smiled at someone yesterday.

She din’t call the police. Bonus! 😀

cinnamon_girl

Actually, just thinking about this, it may have been my choice of clothing. My personal stylist was unavailable so I had to dress myself 🙁

I’m afraid that today I was wearing some purple patterned baggies 😳

Together with the usual stealth black 🙄

Blimey what a sight for sore eyes …

BluePalomino
    Free Member

stealth black is good – i find it tends to deter all the ‘smile at me’ loonies.

chillipepper
    Free Member

the miserable **** are in cornwall too, last weekend on my ‘cross bike, on a section of bridleway I was accosted by four green welly and padded bodywarmer types who waved a ****’ big stick in my face in a threatening manner and told me i had no right to be there… pointed out it was bridleway on the map and that i’d have ’em for assault if the stick touched me and rode on. w@nkers. i’d actually pulled over to let them past with a smile.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ok, so I’ve been for a lovely ride in Epping Forest today. Quite a few people out, enjoying the nice weather. all very pleasant.

So, I thought I’d try saying hello to everyone I passed, to see if Southerners really are all that miserable. Everyone, bar 3 sullen-looking floppy haired youths at Butlers Retreat, replied cheerily and with happy smiles. Passed a fair few mtbers, and every one of them greeted me. Even a couple of right grumpy looking gits nodded in acknowledgment. Right at the end of the ride, I passed a little girl out with her dad. I pinged my bell, and thanked them, as they stood to one side for a moment, to let me pass. The little girl surprised both me and her dad, with an extremely polite and friendly ‘your welcome’.

Maybe it’s the sun. Maybe it’s affected people and made them all a bit funny.

I doubt I would get quite such a positive response, on the Northern Line come 8.30 on Tuesday morning…

Trekster

miserable, no manners, need fixes now etc, etc, is it only mtbers?

I used to work in the motor trade and came across all sorts, with all sorts of income and status(real or imagined).

We were just discussing this the other day and it seems to be still the same as 30odd yrs ago in that people seem to think everything should stop to help them just because they are having a bit of a panic/bad day/broke something/on holiday and need to get out again.

What would the 10th person in a queue of 10 people think if when they got to the front of the queue only to be told there was no more hrs in the day/no more spares and it was lunch time and the last bit of cake was taken by the 9th person in the queue?

Bit OT and probably not making any sense but I know what I mean………

cinnamon_girl

Phew! I am relieved to report that this virus hasn’t reached Wiltshire – had a really good ride there today and people were very friendly and smiling 😀

watly_biker
    Free Member

I rode around watlington all the time and bikers do seem very unpopular – I have had horse riders asking what am I doing in a bridleway and dog owners letting their dogs chase me.
    Long Mynd is generally better although I to got in trouble riding down Ashes Valley when I was a teenager – shame as its was a cracking ride.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Its one thing I really noticed when I lived in London – smile at people they think you are a loony

Looks like the Laaadaners have got you sussed there, TJ!

😉

johnny

Have had two rides around the Chilts in the past week, and I have been full of smiles and courtesy for all. I find the response is either smiles back, or they get even more irritated! 🙂

Amusingly though- The other day a pal of mime was loitering at the bottom of Grimms ditch on the ridgeway, which is of course footpath, with the intention to push up a bit and take some photos. (very bluebelly!) As there are plenty of “No Cycling” signs there, he thought he’d wait until a group of greying ramblers were well clear before wandering up.

As said group passed, one old boy enthusiastically said “You really should go up there, the bluebells are magnificent!” 😆

zbonty

Top of Grimms ditch is too much fun not to ride, quickly, mid week and alone (so someone told me) 😉

EvoStick
    Free Member

I grew up in the Chilterns near Watlington.

There are a lot of people who have retired from London to live there. The secret is to act like you own the place – then you will not be challenged.

Once this has been established a polite ‘Hello’ will be courteously received.

If not, let me know their names and I’ll have them horsewhipped! 😈

symes
    Free Member

Out in the Chilterns Monday and all the nice people were out. Weather wasn’t so good tho.

Moses

Cheery MTB bloke spotted on Saturday over Hergest Ridge & again on Sunday a.m. by Hay Bluff. (We were in rambler mode at the time)

bigyinn
    Free Member

Evostick, im curious, how do you act like you own the place?
    Shoot everyone on sight?

brassneck

Phew! I am relieved to report that this virus hasn’t reached Wiltshire – had a really good ride there today and people were very friendly and smiling

That wasn’t Marlborough then 😀

nickc

Yep, out on Monday as well, niceness was in full effect, despite the slightly drizzly weather.

C-G we ought to hook up, I’ll so you mine* if you’ll show me yours

*Routes, that is… 😀

cinnamon_girl

Um, Grimms Ditch, there’s an idea 😉

Well, there seems to be a mixture then of moods in the Chilterns – the girls meet the grumps and the boys meet the smileys 😀

nick – sounds good but I am very slow, you have been warned!

r6ymy
    Free Member

Hi C-G, I ride the Chilterns fairly regularly and there’s definitely a high quota of grumpiness, seems to affect everyone, walkers, roadies, other mountain bikers. Strangely the horse riders we encounter there are usually very pleasant.
    Fantastic trails around there though, which more than makes up for it. We usually start early on a Sunday morning to be finished by lunch time to miss most of the grumpies on their way to the pub.

DeanoT
    Free Member

The trails to seem to be rather nice at the moment – that sweet spot just before the nettles turn rampant while the bluebells are still out.

Nick – must meet up again soon, it’s been too long again.

Will take the ‘cross bike out tomorrow before and after work; Princes Risborough/High Wycombe/Amersham trails and a bit of road. Really looking forward to it. Intending to include a scamper around the Lott’s Wood course to help settle it in.

ononeorange

Ride the Chilterns as much as possible (I live there having moved up for the riding a couple of years back from London) and have generally found people friendly and pleasant – of course you get the grumpy few, but largely a pleasant experience. I found the Surrey Hills to be more sullen when I rode down there.

I do think the grumpy virus does get incubated somewhat though by the sun. Other trail users seem more friendly in thre wet and cold. Odd.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Miserable-itis virus hits the Chilterns’ is closed to new replies.