• This topic has 17 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by wl.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Mint new UK frame brand worth looking out for…
  • wl
    Free Member

Anyone looking for a seriously smart frame might want to check these out…

http://www.facebook.com/SwarfCycles

I’ve had a quick ride on one and it felt mint – very chuckable, very plush and spot on in terms of angles, numbers and weight. The designer/builder behind it was guiding with Bike Verbier this season and he was absolutely flying on the frame he’d built up with Van 36s – bombproof too, by all accounts. Rumour has it there’s a nice slack hardtail in the making, and if the full-sus is anything to go by, it will be perfect for anything steep, technical or fast and rocky. There’s a shorter travel full-sus coming too, apparently. Definitely a brand to watch out for.

weeksy

Nah, they’re rubbish.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Awesome! That must be Adrian whom I met at Bike Verbier last year (although he was not guiding with them then. He’s an engineer and built the first bike in his shed so I guess he’s made a career change for the better!)

His bike was featured on the Dirt website a while bike. It is a fantastic machine; steel front, carbon swing arm with a high pivot and idler.

The designer/builder behind it was guiding with Bike Verbier this season and he was absolutely flying on the frame

Yep – he’s the quickest person I’ve ever tried to follow and very very smooth with it.

Great to see that thanks for sharing.

messiah
    Free Member

Interesting… worth a like just so see what else they get up too… and I need a new hardtail after killing my Troof 😛

bigmountainscotland
    Free Member

Awesome news… really like the design on this… the engineer in me is drooling at:

rearward axle path
    low and central shock mounting
    slack n low geometry
    steel construction

but in traditional engineering fashion decides he knows better and suggests shorter chainstays, and would like to know more about the leverage curve.

wl
    Free Member

geetee – that’s the lad. His bike was one of those very rare ones that feels spot on as soon as you sit on it – great design, and it must have been just the right size and set-up for me. I think that particular frame’s clocked up around a thousand hours’ riding time without a single issue, and it went like a rocket on every type of terrain Verbier had to offer, as you’ve obviously seen for yourself. This designer knows what he’s doing – I’ll be after one of his hardtails for starters.

geetee1972
    Free Member

He’s a nice guy as well isn’t he.

When I was there last year he’d just got engaged to his GF. Was she with him? I was in touch with him for a few months after getting back and seriously thought about buying a bike from him but one thing leads to another and I’ve not been in touch so it’s great to see.

He wasn’t especially happy with corporate life either; was he working for BV? Would be awesome if he’s made such a big change in life.

wl
    Free Member

He’s totally sound. He was doing a season with BV before heading back to the UK to focus on his frame building. I reckon he’ll do well – he knows his stuff and he’s onto something special with that frame.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Yep – he’s the quickest person I’ve ever tried to follow and very very smooth with it.

+1. Out there this June where he had just started as a guide with BV after walking away from corporate life, he was still waiting for his missus to move out there. Top bloke really personable, and depressingly quick and smooth (never seemed to have the wheels in line).

When I saw the thread title I thought it was some dodgy astroturfing like some ‘high end components’ thread recently, but best of luck to Adrian and could be a nice cottage industry. Company name a nod to the mess he made of his house…

wl
    Free Member

Very smooth rider, and that bike always seemed silent – like a magic carpet.

weeksy

When I saw the thread title I thought it was some dodgy astroturfing like some ‘high end components’ thread recently, but best of luck to Adrian and could be a nice cottage industry. Company name a nod to the mess he made of his house

Screams of blatent advertising though doesn’t it ?

wl
    Free Member

More of a PSA really. There’s nothing in it for me and I knew a few folk would be interested.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Screams of blatent advertising though doesn’t it ?

Not at all. He’s not selling anything yet. Besides even if it were ‘advertising’ (which it’s not, it’s part of marketing but it’s not advertising) what’s so wrong with that?

messiah
    Free Member

If wl hadn’t posted that I wouldn’t have known about it… so thanks wl for posting it as I like knowing about it :mrgreen:

wl
    Free Member

Spot on and nice distinction, geetee – do you happen to work in marketing/advertising by any chance?
    No worries, Messiah. Glad you enjoyed the link – here’s another you might enjoy (at the risk of being accused of advertising)…

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/homemade-bikes.html

geetee1972
    Free Member

do you happen to work in marketing/advertising by any chance

Not really but I did a post grad business degree and marketing was a part of it. I guess that social media marketing is what people would have traditionally called ‘though the line’ but don’t quote me on that.

boltonjon

Like a lot – good man who sounds like a real character

wl
    Free Member

He’s a character alright, good man too.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Mint new UK frame brand worth looking out for…’ is closed to new replies.