Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Minion SS – crazy narrow
  • honourablegeorge

Just had one arrive in 27.5 – is it me, or is it TINY, even by Maxxis 2.3 standards?

Tempted to return it straight away

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

I posted the same thing a couple of months ago, it measures just below 2.2 on my WTB freq 23.
    But on the back its worth a go as its mentally fast has surprising climbing grip in the peaks.
    You do have to remember to think about your breaking a little more as it does not won’t to stop !!

Gotama
    Free Member

If you’re looking for an alternative in 29 flavour I can measure my Spec Slaughter later if its any use? By eye it looks pretty true to size (2.3).

stevied
    Free Member

Mine came up at 58mm (2.28″) on DT EX471’s.

carlphillips
    Free Member

mine doesnt seem that narrow…I love it.

chiefgrooveguru

Shorty 27.5 x 2.3: carcass 54mm, knobs 58mm
    Minion DHR2 27.5 x 2.3: carcass 56mm, knobs 58mm
    Minion SS 27.5 x 2.3: carcass 57mm, knobs 58mm

All on Flow EX rims at ~25psi. So somewhere between 2.2 and 2.3 which I’d say is pretty accurate sizing.

My old Boardman HT Pro, now toddler transporter, has Bontrager XR3 26 x 2.2: carcass 52mm, knobs 53mm; and I’m sure they were described as relatively large volume when reviewed a few years back!

Be honest with us – have you been riding some kind of weird plus tyres recently? 😉

Northwind

I haven’t actually measured mine but it certainly looks narrow- could be an optical illusion, it does happen. But it’s still grippier than my slaughter so I’m not too fussed in this case. I just wish tyre companies had some understanding of fact and fiction though.

br
    Free Member

I’ve one on the back of my 29er.

The sidewall feels quite stiff so it means you can run it with quite low pressures, getting the grip back plus lots of rim protection.

Pairs surprisingly well with a Shorty in slippery conditions – as it was yesterday at the Golfie, both on 30mm internal width rims.

honourablegeorge

chiefgrooveguru – Member

Be honest with us – have you been riding some kind of weird plus tyres recently?

It could be that 🙂

Although I did mount it up on a rim just now, and it seems noticeably narrower than a 2.3″ 26″ DHR2.

honourablegeorge

b r – Member

on 30mm internal width rims.

Oh good, was wondering how it’d cope on 29mm internal, that’s that question answered

mindmap3
    Free Member

Mine seems pretty chunky mounted up on an ARC30 rim.

It is bllody quick though – I really like it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Minion SS – crazy narrow’ is closed to new replies.