Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Minion DHR II
  • strawb3110
    Free Member

Read a few reviews, but was just wondering what these are like on the rear from real use experience, are they as draggy as I’ve been told? Currently running a 2.4 Mountain King on the back.

Northwind

I’ve been pretty impressed tbh. Wouldn’t say draggy but it’s definitely not fast- I can’t compare with the current MK but I reckon it’ll be a little slower but a fair bit grippier. I have a maxxpro I use as a rear and a 3C I sometimes use as a front.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Yup, it will definitely feel more draggy than a 2.4 MK2, which I used briefly before fitting the Minion, but then it offers more grip pretty much everywhere. What sort of riding do you do?

alishand

Due to tyre need and stock issues I’ve ended up running DHR2 3Cs front and rear on my bike.

I’m a big fan now – yes, they are a bit draggy but the trade off is superb amounts of grip on natural techy uphills, and the same again in the descents. You soon forget about any drag as you start compensating, and stop comparing to your old set up.

I have been running them for the past 8 months or so, and am only just considering swapping the rear out for an ardent now that things are properly drying up.

I would happily use it as an all year round set up (but I do live in Scotland, where its muddy natural trails for 11 months of the year).

makkag
    Free Member

Great Tyre my rear of choice – But sidewalls of cheese in 27.5 anyway, two consecutive weeks i have had deformation and tears on a 3 ride old and one ride old Tyre .. May just be bad luck but they aint as tough as they used to be .. Maxxis PR asked me to send back to Extra UK so they can look into

Hoping the DD versions are better (Not a DHR 2 yet though)

I have put my Grid 2bliss slaughter on for now ! have a look at that if you want fast and good corner grip

cultsdave
    Free Member

I just put a 2.3 DHR II MAXX Terra on the rear. It definitely seemed less draggy than my previous HANS DAMPF, cant compare to MK2 though.

strawb3110
    Free Member

Cheers all, pretty much ride anything from local woods, trail centres to a week or so in Les Arcs through the summer. What’s the traction/grip like on the Ardents ‘alishand’, we still encounter a fair bit of slop locally even in the ‘summer’!?

mboy
    Free Member

Really like the DHR2, it’s not as slow rolling as it looks but grip is awesome. It’s by no means fast, but it’s fairly quick rolling for the amount of grip on tap if that makes sense.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Another fan of the DHR II.

Given how much I hated the original DHR, I was skeptical but have so far been really impressed with the grip. It rolls well enough and doesn’t feel slower than the Trail King 2.2 BC compound it replaced. Sidewalls seem good enough – hold air well and no issues so far.

Currently running the Minion SS on the rear as the trails should be drier.

honourablegeorge

Find it rolls no worse, probably better than a Hans Dampf but grips better going up, down, and in the corners. Win win for me

milky1980
    Free Member

Love mine on the back (non-3C), was draggy initially but as soon as it had worn the block edges round slightly it sped up with no real loss of traction. Mine’s looking decidedly worn after 10 months and 600 miles on the back but it still grips like hell, it’s almost semi-slick now so hoping it’ll last until the autumn when I’ll fit another ready for the slop. On par with my old Trail King 2.2’s for drag but loads more grip in all conditions. Might try on on the front when the HRII wears out.

Great all-round tyre IMO.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Really impressed with my DHR II so far. Granted I’m only two rides in but the 3C EXO TR version is not at all draggy and offers plenty of grip.

I’ve been running Ardents front and rear on the steel hardtail for 4 years so the DHF and DHR II on the new bouncy bike are a revelation being seriously grippy and confidence inspiring in comparison.

I must admit though, as things continue to dry up on the trails I’d like to try the Aggressor although I can’t see them being available (in 29er format) anytime soon.

chakaping
    Free Member

As others have said it’s not that draggy really and I think it’d be really good for the kind of riding you describe. Can handle a bit of everything except real slop.

philstone

I’ve been running an Ardent on the rear for 2 months or so, only this week put the Minion SS on. Ardent is very very nice – lots more grip than expected and rolls really well – only slight slower rolling than the SS.

I’ve heard the aggressor doesn’t actually roll as well as expected – no experience mind, just what I’ve heard on t’web..

Re DHR2 – can’t comment on the rear, but I’ve got one on the front and don’t notice drag.. Very very grippy mind.

alishand

What’s the traction/grip like on the Ardents ‘alishand’, we still encounter a fair bit of slop locally even in the ‘summer’!?

Not good when compared to the DHR2 thats for sure. I found that on the back they lacked grip and predictability when it got even slightly damp, let alone muddy.

That’s the main reason I’ve stuck with the DHR2 for so long now – totally predictable.

Northwind

Ardent is decent but it’s exactly what you’d expect tbh- shallow, lacks edge grip and penetration. It does clear mud well though.

If you’re in a tyre size that has a fat Specialized Captain, that’s an awesome fast tyre choice. Gutted there’s no 2.3 Control 29 🙁

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’m running a Minion DHR II Hinten 26×2.30″ TR EXO Dual coupled with a HR2 on the front. I’ve come from Conti RQ’s.

Personally, not getting on with it that well. Feels very draggy on the back and rather unpredictable – maybe it needs a different style or pressure or different terrain (so far it’s been Surrey Hills, Cwm Carn and Eastridge so a bit of variety). I’m finding the back slides out more than I’d expect/was used to

gelert
    Free Member

OP I’d stick with your MK2!

I’m a huge fan of the DHR2 TR EXO 3C on the rear – fantastic all winter out back. Not a slow tyre by any means at all. Faster rolling and a lot less cloggy in mud than a Hans Dampf for instance but the HD is outright gripper (in TrailStar anyway).

However the DHR2 let me down at a race and a small hole just leaked sealant and wouldn’t seal during the race day at all. An in-tread puncture. It kept unsealing as soon as it went over the next rock again even having been left for an hour to seal at lunchtime. Novice mistake there… I should have just fitted a new tyre.

So on recommendation from a friend I’ve moved to the Conti MK2 2.4 Black Chilly ProTection and it’s been brilliant out back so far. I’m racing on it this weekend. It’s much faster than the DHR2 or HD out back and I’ve not found it gripping any less even on wet roots and through boggy mud. It is sensitive to tyre pressure though. I’m super impressed by the grip so far. In the dry it’s super fast.

Before settling on the MK2 I also tried a Super Gravity Hans Dampf tyre which punctured in the tread too… so not much point in carrying that around. Never had a problem with standard Hans Dampf in the past so a bit annoying to puncture the “protected” version. It did seal very quickly and held… I just didn’t like the fact it punctured so easily being so darn heavy.

I’m looking out for the DHR2 in DoubleDown when it comes out. Maxxis are making it in 26 too 🙂

All this sidewall protection is fine and all but I haven’t sliced sidewalls (despite the rocky trails I ride)… it’s tread punctures that have been my issue and barely anyone puts enough protection under the tread.

Fingers crossed no tyre issues at the race this weekend. I just want a clean result.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I had MK’s on for a while and thought they were OK, the sidewalls in mine (protection versions) were really porous though. It took a fair amount of sealing to get them sorted tubeless. The TK’s were an improvement though and I generally quite liked them apart from putting a small (repairable) hole in the sidewall just above the bead. The sidewalls on the Maxxis do seem like an improvement.

I prefer both to HD’s which are bit draggy but the bigger issue I found was that once the tread started tearing, the performance really dropped off. My Magic Mary was the same.

funkweasel
    Free Member

I do love my DHR2, but as said, the side walls are super super flimsy. :/ That’s the 3C Exo TR version .

gelert
    Free Member

Quick update. MK2 on the rear did survive the race with a Magic Mary Trail up front. Got a top 3rd result in my age group.

Since then I’ve tested having two MK2s (PT BC 2.4s) on the bike and in the dry it was fine. I then tried an X King (PT BC 2.4) out back with the MK2 out front and again in the dry it was awesome fast.

However… this is the UK and the rain came back. OMG. The MK2 out front is lethal in the wet.

So before I return to a Magic Mary up front I’m trying out a new DHR2 3C TR EXO up front and I tested it with the X King out back in the wet and the same place that was lethal on the MK2 out front was completely fine on the DHR2. Exact same trail, exact same conditions but 4 minutes faster up a 15 minute technical rooty / rocky climb due to not being on the floor most of the time with just a front tyre change difference.

I can handle the Continental MK2 and X King out back but I certainly won’t be riding one of them up front ever again unless it’s bone dry.

I’ve paired an MK2 out back with a Nobby Nic 2016 out front on one bike and a DHR2 out front with the X King out back and an option to put an MK2 on if needed on the other.

For uplift days I’ll be sticking with Magic Mary / Hans Dampf in Super Gravity format. That’s an inspiring set of tyres. I’m going to pedal them around the valley for the next two months as a training aid. They’ll either break me or make me stronger. 13 uplifts (1 day) at Antur Stiniog on them and not a worn or cracked knob in sight. Both Trail Star SGs. Awesome.

tom.nash

Run a DHR2 TR EXO 3C on the rear pretty much all year round and swap the front between a Shorty or a WTB Vigilante. Love it.

gavstorie
    Free Member

I run a DHR2 TR EXO 3Cmaxterra on the rear.. Have one for around a year now. After trying various different rear tyres this is the best all rounder I have found.

It rolls pretty well, doesnt feel overly dragy but the grip levels are fantastic.

mactheknife

Currently i am loving an aggressor on the rear with a Minion DHF 3C up front. The aggressor is pretty fast rolling and i have not noticed any lack of grip. DHR2 will be back on when things get sloppy though. Finally found my tyre nirvana 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Minion DHR II’ is closed to new replies.