Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Minimum lights for night riding?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

What’s the minimum (practical) light setup for night riding and where is my money best spent on getting started? Thanks

RealMan
    Free Member

Depends what you’re riding and how fast you’re riding, as well as other stuff – if it’s urban with street lights here and there, and there’s snow everywhere, you could probably get away without anything.

I’ve ridden off road in the Alps at night with just a joystick, so I’d say the minimum is a helmet light of some description.

nickjb
    Free Member

For around £30 the P7 from ebay or DX gives out plenty of light and enough run time for a good ride. You can get away with less or go a bit faster with more but for me it’s about right.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

I think most people agree its “Whatever the people around you are using”. If the person behind you has 1000 lumens and you only have 500 lumens then you get horrible shadows. Even matched lights will create shadows but they are bearable. On your own..probably 300 lumens aka a joystick like realman says. I personally prefer a super bright handlebar light to a headlight. Although both are best of course!

To get started look at dealextreme handlebar lights or the uk magicshine ( i think ) equivalent which can be had for £50 or under and gives awesome light although somewhat clumsy with the separate battery pack.

scaled
    Free Member

Depends on the number of lumens the bloke behind you is packing 😀

iainc

if you are on your own, not much. the problem comes if you are ina group, where brighter lights drown out less bright ones, so you are riding in shadows

soma_rich
    Free Member

£17, took 2-3 weeks to turn up but silly bright and more than enough for night riding IMO
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170876182742?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

glupton1976
    Free Member

Petzl head torch is what most folk started with.

jam-bo

Petzl head torch is what most folk started with.

Pfffft.

andrewh
    Free Member

I run a Hope Vision-1 for road riding, on,low, and two of the on high are more than adequate for blasting around Sherwood, but that’s not very techy. I like them because they take AA batteries so are easy to keep going on longer rides, none of this ‘range anxiety’ nonsense. About £60 new off fleabay, cheaper used.
    For racing bigger is better, how fast you can go is really determined by how well you can see rather than how fit you are. I like the Full-Beam X-12, 4,500 lumens on full whack (about 3x as bright as a typical car headlight) and reasonable battery life, two batteries get me through a 24hr race (might need more for the ‘Puffer!) Not cheap at all though.
    [EDIT] Jambo, I had some of those! THey were truely dire, even when new.

ross980
    Free Member

Depends what the other people have. If your lights are under powered then you’ll have to ride at the back or you won’t see a thing (apart from your own shadow).
    You can’t go far wrong with a £30 P7 or T6 light IMHO. The addition of a helmet light makes a massive difference on the twisty stuff, even if it’s only 100-200 lumen torch.

Bike lights/lumen have become a bit of an arms race. My first proper off road lights were a 10w + 5w halogen set up which are pathetic compared to modern LEDs, you’ll be fine with anything (just try to be comparable with people you ride with)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

<£50 Get a DX Magicshine P7 light

I upgraded to a lumenator from smudge, it’s not nececery, but as othjers get brighter lights there is a need to keep pace to avoid shadows.

On the other hand if the groups big enough and riding close enough there’s enough light to get away with nothing, I regulalry forget to switch mine on after stopping.

gribble
    Free Member

I bought a 220 lumen cheapo ebay aa batt powered effort. Bright enough, but then it lasted about 20 mins. Ended up buying an Exposure light for 4 times the price to replace it.

I think the lights online from the likes of Deal Extreme are excellent value now, worth checking out the mag reviews from late last year which have reviews on them as they tend to do every winter.

stevied
    Free Member

I started with a couple of DX torches with about 200 lumens each. Then all my riding buddies started a ‘lumen war’ and shadows were a nightmare in a group.

I’m currently winning the war BTW as I build my own lights now…8k on the bars in one light and 2hr runtime on full and 1200 on the helmet B-)

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

As others have said a 1000 lumen “Chinese” light is perfect for the money, they are available for under 20 quid delivered here…..

http://www.evomtb.co.uk/1200-lumen-bike-light-iamoutdoor

Worth getting one for the bars and one for the helmet at that price.

trout
    Free Member

Not worth having if its dimmer than this

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

😀 @ trout your just showing off now arn’t you

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Depends on how skillful you are, more lights and lumens are for the “Pussy” riders 😛

br
    Free Member

Depends on how skillful you are, more lights and lumens are for the “Pussy” riders

Or riding somewhere you’ve never ridden before.

Bar and helmet combo is best, start with those ebay P7’s and go from there. Get extra batteries too.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

18650 XML torches – about £10 each, £5 for a charger, cells are £2.50 each (or free if you can get old laptop batteries) and mounts are £1.50 or so. Start with one on your lid and one one your bars – so £40 or so with spare cells. Another £10 gives you an extra light on your bars for some ‘boost’ when you need it. Sorted!

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Depends on how skillful you are, more lights and lumens are for the “Pussy” riders

Or riding somewhere you’ve never ridden before.

Where’s your spirit of adventure ?

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

That is very bright!!!!! Bet it’s not 20 quid though lol

kristoff
    Free Member

@ trout what light is that?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Minimum lights for night riding?’ is closed to new replies.