Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 172 total)
  • minimum 5 years for attack on the boys
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Underthesun.

You are the one talking cobblers. go read up a bit of developmental psychology, read up a bit about deviant behaviour.

Try to understand why in most of the world children of ten are not treated as criminals. Try to understand why the upbringing they had turned them into what they are.

No child of ten has a fully developed moral compass – thats why they are not treated as adults, they can't vote, buy alcohol etc.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Reminds me of child soldiers in Africa. They tend to get rehabilitated rather than locked up.

5thElefant
    Free Member

DOUBLE POST DELETED

GrahamS

graham s yes i am , or at least locked up til they are 16 and then hung

😯

Right. So despite the fact this was "only" an assault (a very brutal and sickening one) committed by very disturbed children, you would like to see the re-introduction of capital punishment specifically to deal with them?

Do you honestly think that would prevent any other kids being brought up in an environment like that and going on to commit such crimes? I can't see how it would have the slightest impact.

firestarter
    Free Member

out of interest why do people seem to think that children commiting these crimes should be treated in a different way to adults ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Local social services must take a huge share of the blame – with hindsight ( always 20 / 20) there were many opportunities to deal with these children and their clear issues but these opportunities were missed on numerous occasions. Thats probably the saddest part. all avoidable.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mi©k – Member

out of interest why do people seem to think that children commiting these crimes should be treated in a different way to adults ?

Because they are children. Why do we not allow children to vote, to join the army, to buy alcohol?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Local social services must take a huge share of the blame

No they don't. It's the parents. Simple as that. If anyone need locking up and / or shooting, it's them.

GrahamA
    Free Member

Rights and wrongs of the age of criminal consent aside what seems most worrying is that every report refers to their lack of remorse for their actions.

A psychiatrist told the judge who sentenced the boys that the younger brother had shown no remorse for what he did or empathy towards the boys he attacked.

This alone means that they have to be separated from the rest of society until they develop a sense of empathy/social responsibility/compassion for others.

Ultimately it is the down to their parents, the environment they were raised in and the failure of the state to protect them

firestarter
    Free Member

yes but if these kids can be sorted in five years why cant an adult . if these two hadnt have been caught for something til they were 16 they would have still been the same people just older so why couldnt the be sorted out in five years then ? bearing in mind them being 16 is not so far away.

AndyP
    Free Member

with hindsight ( always 20 / 20)
    20/20 is actually quite poor. I'd expect better visual acuity from hindsight.
    [/optometrical pedantry]

dickydutch

There didn't seem to be as many cases of evilness and calculated depravity in 'times gone by'. When kids knew from an early age what was right and wrong. I also cant help but feel that kids then knew what would happen is they acted in such a manner.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

They are a long way from 16. Tehre is a massive difference between a child of 10 and a near adult of 16.

The simple difference is that adults have or should have a moral compass – children of the age they are do not. I believe in rehabilitation for adult offenders as well – but with adults there is some point in deterrence and in punishment. With children there is not.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I nurse in a unit working with people with personality disorders, which sadly, the two kids who carried out the attack will inevitably be diagnosed with. People arent born with personality disorders, their upbringing and life experience creates it. Stop getting a hair across your collective arses about punishment – it makes no difference whatsoever, it just doesnt, doesnt work, save to create some form of satisfaction to say justice has been done. They need help just as much as the victims, if only to try and minimise the risk of reoffending.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

dickydutch – Member

There didn't seem to be as many cases of evilness and calculated depravity in 'times gone by'. When kids knew from an early age what was right and wrong. I also cant help but feel that kids then knew what would happen is they acted in such a manner.

Evidence? I think you will find the difference now is that these thngs get publicised.

Mary bell was in the 60s a very similar case.

go back further and you will find a lot more. Victorian times? fagin and Oliver twist?

AndyP
    Free Member

yes but if these kids can be sorted in five years why cant an adult . if these two hadnt have been caught for something til they were 16 they would have still been the same people just older so why couldnt the be sorted out in five years then ? bearing in mind them being 16 is not so far away

christ. In five years, my youngest will be at school and no longer in nappies. Things change. Is it so hard to believe that a child is different from an adult?

GrahamS

yes but if these kids can be sorted in five years why cant an adult .

Because at 10 they are very much still developing and learning.
    They have spent their entire lives in an extremely hostile environment and have learnt from their violent father

if these two hadnt have been caught for something til they were 16 they would have still been the same people just older so why couldnt the be sorted out in five years then ? bearing in mind them being 16 is not so far away.

Conversely what if they'd done it six years earlier? Would you be advocating that four year olds should be executed for assault?

dickydutch

What surer way to minimise the risk of reoffending than to lock them up forever?
    It's hardly a trivial offence is it. One strike (in this case, one hell of a strike), you're out.

firestarter
    Free Member

andyp of course not i just wonder why all this do gooding stops as soon as they reach what the law considers adulthood? they would still be the same evil bastards they just may have not have been caught as early ?

underthesun
    Free Member

Examples have to be made of these critters.

If not other children will find it acceptable to behave in such a way.

Lets not forget also that they will be serving their sentence in nice comfy rooms probably with a games room, nice snap, sky TV etc etc. All of the psychiatric b*llsh*t and counselling they need costing the tax payer huge amounts of cash.

Hardly a punishment anyway is it.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

"What surer way to minimise the risk of reoffending than to lock them up forever?"
    Because life sentences in this country only rarely mean life. If you look back at my other posts on here, I'm sure you'll see that I'm not saying they shouldnt have recieved a custodial sentence, but should be given adequate and appropriate help whilst serving that sentence – I agree that what they did was vile, evil even, but the bottom line is that they are children.

underthesun
    Free Member

This 'do gooding' applies right through our criminal justice system any way. 'Oh he battered a 90 year old granny because he was on drugs'. 'Oh he murdered two little girls because he had a personality disorder'. Excuse after excuse. There is no law anymore in this country. Just jumped psychologists making up b*llsh*t excuses to lessen the sentence.

AndyP
    Free Member

There is no law anymore in this country. Just jumped psychologists making up b*llsh*t excuses to lessen the sentence.

Daily Mail post of the day.

surfer
    Free Member

Daily Mail post of the day.

And thats saying something!!

Seldom have I read such ill informed and vengeful bull***t.

crikey
    Free Member

Ooh yes, lock them up forever, and hang them, and flog them, and put their heads on spikes…

Or try to learn about them, try to unravel the complex causes, stop turning your backs, stop pretending that families like this don't exist, and try to see how we can prevent this happening again. See if we can change them, see if we can unmake these damaged people.

This would unfortunately involve you putting down your pitchforks and burning torches, and thinking instead of howling at the moon…

firestarter
    Free Member

i saw plenty of children during my 3 tours of bosnia that had been brought up with/subjected to some terrible treatment torture/rape/murder of family and no doubt worse yet these didnt seem to go around murdering other kids out of want for something to do ;-(

mt
    Free Member

In 5 years the victims of this crime will be 16, will they have had the same amount of time and attention spent on them as the perps?

As an aside perhaps parents should be made to be criminally responsible for their off spring until they are old enough to be guided by thier "moral compass".

AndyP
    Free Member

i saw plenty of children during my 3 tours of bosnia that had been brought up with/subjected to some terrible treatment torture/rape/murder of family and no doubt worse yet these didnt seem to go around murdering other kids out of want for something to do ;-(

how about going on holiday somewhere more cheerful?

Coyote
    Free Member

You haven't got children mick, have you? If you did you would know that there is a world of difference between 11 and 16. Or as an analogy; an adult is pretty much the production model, a child is still very much under development.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

underthesun – Member

Examples have to be made of these critters.

If not other children will find it acceptable to behave in such a way.

This is the most laughable post on here. Do you really think children think can be deterred like that – children of 10 yrs old? No – they might be deterred by "your dad will be angry" but the prospect of a jail sentence? Were these boys deterred by the harsh treatment of Venables and Thompson? That really was a good deterrent wasn't it.

Well put crikey!

firestarter
    Free Member

andyp strangely it wasnt much of a holiday unless you like mass graves and ethnic cleansing

zaskar
    Free Member

We don't know the full info of the case!

Bit like that that guy attacking the burgler and getting locked up?!

AndyP
    Free Member

andyp strangely it wasnt much of a holiday unless you like mass graves and ethnic cleansing
    hence my suggestion.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Underthesun – the people that I look after usually spend longer in custody (due to various sections of the mental health act) than they would if given a prison sentence. I'll obviously never be able to physically show you what my working life entails, but I would suggest you refrain from passing insults on people that are trying to make a difference without having a bloody clue what youre talking about.

firestarter
    Free Member

coyote yes ive got four as it happens. my point was not so much that a 10 year old is the same as a 16 year old but why cant a 16 year old be treated and turned around if the ten year old can. or why dont they really seem to attempt to at least try ?

firestarter
    Free Member

andyp i think the three tours bit kinda implied it was work related rather than fun in the sun 😉

AndyP
    Free Member

andyp i think the three tours bit kinda implied it was work related rather than fun in the sun
    You're a coach driver or holiday rep?

underthesun
    Free Member

The parents should be punished.

The children should be punished.

Im out of here.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Dont let the door hit you in the arse on the way out.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

underthesun – and punishing them would achieve what?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 172 total)

The topic ‘minimum 5 years for attack on the boys’ is closed to new replies.