Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Mini (new bmw versions)
  • GNARGNAR
    Free Member

My sister is thinking of getting one. Being a woman she wants one because they look nice. I cant help but think it’s a bad idea for some reason. She’ll be buying used, engine and spec yet to be determined (though Im sure she knows what colour she wants.

Generally speaking, what are they like to run? Service and parts wise? Pros and cons etc much appreciated.

apologies if any women are offended by the second sentence, but it’s true

johnhoo
    Free Member

well personally I wouldn’t have one as I can’t get bike/drums into one.

However, if they’re anywhere near as well made as the proper BMWs then it’ll be fine. Might be worth looking for one with a service package if they extend to Minis.

I did have a ragtop mini as a courtesy car while my 320 was in for a service once, which was nice

djglover
    Free Member

most will have the tlc pack which is 5 years free servicing, so buy a 3 year old one and sell it at 5. Wife had one for 5 years from new and it was faultless, from aa reliability point of view 😉

mboy
    Free Member

ZERO practicality, but if that doesn’t bother your sister, then no problems! They’re damned good fun to drive, especially a Cooper S, relatively cheap to run (well for an expensive car anyway), good on fuel compared to their competition, the best residual prices of any car on the road, and generally they’re as reliable as any other BMW (which for the most part means pretty bloody reliable).

I’d never own one (unless I ever had enough money to have more than one car) just because of the practicality issue, but the couple I have driven, especially the day I had in an 08 plate Cooper S, have been great fun!

stufield
    Free Member

my clubman can 2+ 2 bikes in it no problem, a few niggle with build quality, but great fun to drive, very cheap to run apart from purchase price.

nickc

A few of my friends have them. They all love ’em.

Pieface

They have a tiny boot, however my Broter has just sold his Honda Accord as he never uses it and him and the wife and toddler will be using just the Mini. So much as they are tiny, you can live with them.

chewkw
    Free Member

Go for the Clubman if she insists as I think that is better in both practicality and looks.

Alternative is Suzuki Swift Sport.

😀

thefallguy
    Free Member

Well made, good residuals, low running costs, massive array of extras to be had from new so best to do homework to find what you want on yours – just try specing one on the mini website!. At least make sure they have the chilli pack. If you don’t need something the size of a golf then its a good choice.

chewkw
    Free Member

Clubman with supercharger that is.
    😀

loddrik
    Free Member

Clubman doesn’t come with supercharger, they are the older first ten engines, clubman based on new model so uses turbo. With better mpg as a result.

flamejob
    Free Member

These are mine (one of each)… well the S has gone now, but it was a great car, drove it to Spain and it can also 2+2 if you take a wheel off each bike. Super reliable and very fast for its type. The only minus is the fuel consumption when you start to hear that supercharger whine.
    [img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/32/47380283_db6dccec0b_m.jpg[/img]

rOcKeTdOg

they are good for attracting dinner

BoardinBob

I’ve had 2 Cooper S’ so far. The old supercharged version which was a scream and the newer turbocharged one which is a lot more civilised but still brutally quick.

Lots of fun, never had any reliability problems but completely impractical but no one buys if for practical reasons!

flamejob
    Free Member

PS: I refuse to call the BMW estate a ‘clubman’.

Just because they didn’t buy the traveler name doesn’t mean they can use a random name they own for a different purpose [/rant]

matt_outandabout

My sis in laws ‘S’ is parked outside at the moment.

She has done 60k in it herself, bought it at 20k/ 1 year old.

Its good fun, looks nice etc. She can get a couple of our kids in the back in car seats when needed, and has got her bike in as well (just!)

I find as a 6’er its not that comfy but she and my wife at 5′ find it great. Nippy, but you do seem to have to thrash the thing quite hard…

Its gone through a couple of wheel bearings, and has another on the way out. Its had a new radiator as the first one rusted(!) and had a couple of issues with really noisy brakes and its tracking kept going out so it ate tyres(fixed on warranty). Other than that, nowt.

aP
    Free Member

One word: Foxtons.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Other than the fact I detest them, I shall try to keep this as neutral as I can. Auto Express (who love them when they review them as new cars) once took a mini apart after 60k miles. There were some glaring failures to say the least. They did the same to a Honda Jazz a few weeks previously and it was like new apart from the boot catch, which had rusted!

The old petrol is an old Chevrolet engine I believe and that’s where you will have problems on older cars.

Mattoutandabout – is it not scary that you’ve had wheel bearings go? I’ve had a car for over 200k miles and haven’t had one go yet…

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve had a car for over 200k miles and haven’t had one go yet…

That’s pretty unusual I reckon. 60-100k is normal for wheel bearings I’d say.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

My missus has one, she loves it.
    A few comments above about lack of practicality I thought are a bit strange though, they might not be practical to us for throwing a bike in (although it is possible) but if your sister is anything like my missus then actually its incredibly practical.
    Small, efficent, easy to drive, reliable and dare I say, good looking.

We have a VW van too but on the occasions that she has that I’ve used the mini to take my bike/ surfboards / snowboards its not exactly overflowing with space but is totally do-able.

hora
    Free Member

If your sister isnt a biker I think she’d absolutely love it. Nimble, frugile, good steering/feel and cute. I wouldnt buy one from a mini cherished dealer though- they still think they can charge silly premiums even though the market has moved on since pre-2008. Supply is exceeding demand now.

Tell her to get one!

hora
    Free Member

Alternative is Suzuki Swift Sport. Actually steers ok, testdrove one but it needs stronger brakes IMO.

I passed my test in a Cooper and my first car was a Cooper 😀

-m-
    Free Member

Interesting small cars, but you’re paying quite a lot for the image. Don’t be fooled by the entry level pricing on new cars, as the ‘essential’ extras quickly add to the price. This also means that the published (good) residuals aren’t necessarily accurate.

The first generation BMW MINI had a lot of teething troubles, the second (current) generation has fewer, but there are a few known faults. Check out http://www.mini2.com for more info (look at the faults and fixes forums).

Having had 3 different first generation BMW MINIs, all with glaring problems (first was rejected after 6 weeks, second was a loan car I had for 4 months whilst waiting for the replacement, third was rejected after 2 months), I’m not sure I’d want to own one out of warranty…

It’s always alleged that the MINI project is loss making as a whole because you’re buying a lot of engineering for the money. This is good when it all works, but could be pricey once it goes wrong.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Some very good info – much appreciated. I personally dont think she’d be prepared for or able to afford BMW service costs if and when things go wrong. I reckon on her budget she’ll be looking at a high miler, maybe +60k which is inevitably when lots of things start to go wrong with cars.

loddrik
    Free Member

The wife has had two Cooper S’s, we nearly bought another but they are a little to ubiquitous these days so we got a Brabus Forfour instead, cheaper to run, quicker and nearly as good to drive, plus they have four doors 🙂

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

My wife has a 03 plate Cooper S. We only bought it as a mate was emigrating and offered it at a good price. We’ve had it a year now and probably covered approx 10k in it taking it up to 66k.

To date it’s had a new exhaust system approx £700 fitted at a BMW garage and 4 new tyres all round. (£535 fitted) I recommend you go for one with 15″ wheels rather than 16″ runflats as the bigger wheels and runflats upset the ride somewhat. The other downside to runflats is that some garages (quickfit) will only replace them with runflats which can limit choice.

Servicing at BMW can be expensive, as ours is now 5 years old I took it to my local reliable garage. The only problem to occur was that the oil filter case had seized and a new one had to be fitted. Apparently the oilfilter itself is biodegradable so look for one that has been regularly serviced otherwise you could get one with lots of gunk floatinmg around in the engine…

The only other issue we’ve had is the drivers doorlock is playing up. Other than that it is mental and corners like its on rails 🙂

BoardinBob

The “Sport” button on the new version is 8)

Just tightens everything up and the throttle response is outstanding

hora
    Free Member

OP if its a 60k+ example then phone round some after market warrant companies first for some quotes (before you buy) and what their warranties cover.

WipeOut
    Free Member

Successfully rejected a second generation Cooper S in 2007
    Unsuccessfully rejected a second generation Cooper D in 2008, ending up selling it at a loss as I’d enough of it going wrong.

I wouldn’t recommend them. BMW, I think not, more like British Leyland. Got an Alfa Romeo now, and it’s far more reliable! Strange but true.

hora
    Free Member

Wipeout, 147 diesel?

WipeOut
    Free Member

GT Cloverleaf Q2

hora
    Free Member

with the diff? Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WipeOut
    Free Member

Rossa Red as well. Have you got a 147?

hora
    Free Member

No but I’ve always wanted an Alfa. GF lusts after the old GTV spyder and doesnt get that the old GTV is a moneypit.

How long have you had it? The dash is the same as the 147’s isnt it?

WipeOut
    Free Member

Same dash as 147. Got it new in November. Brings a smile to my face every day I drive it.

hora
    Free Member

Where are you based? Can I come and stand outside your house stroking it? 😯

(Linking two threads here- WCA’s) but can I “Seagull” it as well? 🙄 😆

WipeOut
    Free Member

Just outside Wokingham. As long as it’s the car you want to stroke and nothing else you can. Bring a feather duster.

Not sure on Seagulling??

WipeOut
    Free Member

Hhmm, now I understand.

NO!

coffeeking
    Free Member

nuttysquirrel – wheel bearings generally go at about 100K on a lot of cars, I’ve done them at that point on toyotas, peugeots and renaults. 125k on a 5 series BM. They dont last forever you know 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Mini (new bmw versions)’ is closed to new replies.