• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by gazc.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • mini dh race advice
  • JimSu
    Free Member

Want to replace my Nobby Nick front tyre with something bigger for first mini DH race which I’m riding on 26″ full suss x/c bike. Suggestions? Advice?
    Thanks. Ruth

mikewsmith
    Free Member

2.5″ Super Tacky Minions, great 90$ of the time.

If it’s miserable and boggy the Swamp Things/Wet Screams

scottfitz
    Free Member

2.5″ Super Tacky Minions

+1

Duane…
    Free Member

What track? If you’re talking about the Steel City DH, I’d stick with something fast rolling, unless it rains solidly between now and the race..

JimSu
    Free Member

Yes Duane – Steel City DH. Fast rolling – such as?

Duane…
    Free Member

Not sure to be honest, my knowledge on tyres isn’t great, but something inbetween a 2.5 Minion and a Nobby Nic I’d say, something 2.2-3ish, Hans Dampf (I know, not very quick rolling, but it’s for the front).

I’d be happy with a Nobby Nic on the back (I’m actually thinking of replacing my rear Highroller with one)

dashed
    Free Member

Minions are pretty big in 2.5″ so you might want to consider 2.35″ depending on your size. Great fast rolling tyre. You can get supertacky in both but I think you can only get dual ply in 2.5″. Doubt you’ll need dualply for steel city though??

cx_monkey

Dual ply is available in the 2.35 too…

matt007
    Free Member

I’m doing the steel city DH and was also wondering about tyre choice. Been a few years since I last rode DH up at Warncliffe etc.

Ive just built up a bike with 2.25 Racing Ralph rear, 2.25 Nobby Nic front, both tubeless with snakeskin sidewalls. They are a lot lighter than I’m used to, but roll fast as a combo.

Does anyone know how rocky the track is for this year? worried those tyres will be on the fragile side.

If its wet on the day it will be specialized storm controls for me.

Tracey

Abigale rode it on Saturday using Specialized Enduro Pro 2.3 tyres with no problems

ridesheffield
    Free Member

Conditions are currently good and as long as the weather is kind it should stay that way. With it being dry it does feel a bit rougher, but a 2.5 might be a bit overkill for this track and a bit slow.
    Minion on the front 2.35 then either something high roller esque or something faster if you dare!

dantsw13

How about the Chunky Monkey from On-One? They go up tubeless really well, no leaks at all, and were lovely on a rocky Hebden Bridge last week. £17 as well!!

gazc
    Free Member

2.4 nobby nic? assuming you have a smaller one now btw. stick with what you know and all that. i have one and i’m not dead

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘mini dh race advice’ is closed to new replies.