Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Mineral oil on brakes.
  • Chrisitan
    Free Member

I messed up big time and i desperately need help!

I was bleeding my breaks and i accidently kicked my bottle of mineral oil splashing oil all over my front break.

I've tried grinding the pads with sandpaper and degreasing the roter with 90+ spirit but so far i have absolutely no stoppingpower in what used to be a pretty strong break.

Does anyone know of a solution that can save my breaks? Or am i forced to buy new once? – and roter?

glenncampbell

Suggest that you clean the rotors with meths or brake cleaner, clean the brakes up but bin the pads – they're kaput. Get new pads, fit to your nice clean brakes and you're away!

obirobkeno
    Free Member

Christian – As glanncampbell said. Sounds liek you'r panicking… don't. Had it been DOT, possibly more worry to worry about. New pads, clean the rotor and caliper and you're off…

bigyinn
    Free Member

You could try baking the pads in the oven after giving them a good soaking in IPA or Meths (let them dry out FIRST) or dousing them in petrol and setting them alight, but theres a good chance the pads are toast. Everything else a good clean and wipedown and then final clean with meths / IPA and they'll be fine.

qwerty
    Free Member

ha – whenever i bleed a brake i get the oil fekkin everywhere – all up the kitchen wall, cooker and floor at last attempt – and some in the hose!!! – frustratingly satisfying when it works though 😛

Seamus
    Free Member

As Bigyinn says, I have recovered contaminated sintered pads by dousing in meths and setting alight followed by rubbing braking surface down with sandpaper. I'd take the rotor off and soak it in IPA/meths to ensure all the holes get degreased.

nickc

Bin the pads, give the callipers and rotor a good scrub.

Chrisitan
    Free Member

Thanks guys!

I'll try soaking and heating. If it doesn't work i'll go for new pads.

I'm new to the game so yes there were hint og panic 🙂

Anyway i really appriciate your help.

glenncampbell

Good stuff – we've all done it before! Now the first thing I do when cleaning the brakes is take the pads out first!!! Have a good one!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Mineral oil on brakes.’ is closed to new replies.