Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Mineral Oil in Dot 5.1 brakes
  • Monkey
    Free Member

My mate bled his rear avid juicy with Mineral oil(they should be dot 5.1). The bike has been stood for a while and now the brake is very spongy. He is not sure whether the seals have gone or he didn’t bleed it right. ny advice on whether mineral fluid wrecks non mineral seals? Thanks

PJM1974
    Free Member

New seals there I’m afraid… 🙁

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Every single seal thoughout the brake will be completely shot. It will need a full strip, clean and rebuild with replacement seals and the correct fluid.

Northwind

Brake fluid is cheap- I’d open it up, examine the seals, and if it doesn’t look fubbered I’d clean it thoroughly and try it with the correct fluid. What’s the worst that can happen?

(answer: brakes fail, mate rides off cliff)

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

No, the seals will be knackered and swollen.

coatesy
    Free Member

Scienceofficer+1, unless you can do the work yourself you may as well write the brake off, never saw a dot seal that survived even a brief contact with mineral fluid.EDIT-leave them too long and they’ll turn to a chewing gum consistency which is virtually impossible to remove.

Northwind

coatesy – Member

never saw a dot seal that survived even a brief contact with mineral fluid

See, I have- an Elixir that’d been filled with Shimano DOT, and wasn’t emptied out for about 2 months. That brake’s still going strong after a thorough clean and rebuild. It might be the exception o’course.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Put the correct fluid in, put them in the classified with photos of someone elses brakes and describe them as in perfect condition. Then we have all have a laugh when the row breaks out 😉

Monkey
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice I’ll break the bad news to him….Cheers

rightrightright
    Free Member

Thanks monkey

DickBarton

Northwind – are you sure about that? As far as I know, Shimano has always been Mineral and NEVER Dot…

Superficial
    Free Member

DOT is a range of standards. Mineral Oil can still conform to certain DOT standards (I think DOT 5 is Mineral).

coatesy
    Free Member

DOT5 is silicone based.

Northwind

DickBarton – Member

Northwind – are you sure about that? As far as I know, Shimano has always been Mineral and NEVER Dot…

Right enough, slip of the fingers there- should have said mineral.

rightrightright
    Free Member

seals all changed brakes back working all for a £10 thanks for all your help. I will not be doing that again lol.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Mineral Oil in Dot 5.1 brakes’ is closed to new replies.