Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Minecraft, I just don't get it.
  • Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

My son has just downloaded the game and he and his mates think its great..
    Shit graphics, no real point to the game.
    Am I missing something?

bruneep

Am I missing something?

Remember you are old, they are young.

br
    Free Member

Yes, but then you aren’t 15. 🙂

chvck
    Free Member

If you don’t get it then it probably just isn’t something you. I spent quite a few hours on building random stuff and just trying to build logic gates etc… That was until I discovered Kerbal Space Programme which is pretty much also covered also covered by “Shit graphics, no real point to the game”!

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Yes, you are. It is about the most creative computer game I’ve ever seen.
    Have a butcher’s on youtube for minecraft computer etc.

Making a computer (from blocks) that works as a computer within a computer game is pretty special imho.

Love it.

nuke

Son and all his friends love it…I can’t see the point. Still, keeps him happy and its better he likes that than GTA V

Works both ways…he didn’t get the point of Simcity 2000 😐

Drac

I’m not 15 and I get it.

It’s a like a world of Lego.

Good graphics do not make good gameplay.

eskay

My kids love it but I don’t get it.

my nephew (who has aspbergers) loves it. It is about the only thing that engages him.

chvck
    Free Member

Those of you who don’t get it, have you tried playing it?

GeForceJunky

It’s the most creative game out there, you can make it whatever you want it to be. I’m sure they could make a lego version with better graphics and it would be proper amazing, but the point is it doesn’t need to be. Be very happy he is being creative rather than picking up hookers on GTA!

Jamie
    Free Member

Don’t worry about it granddad…here’s a Werthers to take your mind off it:

….or just look at it like computer lego, which some people make some very impressive things out of it.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

Fair comments, I’ll have to give it a go.

PMK2060

My son has got it on xbox and it’s the only game he has played in the last few months. Tbh I don’t get it and hate the background music.

CountZero

I don’t get the obsession with playing games all the time, that doesn’t make me right, and all those who play them wrong. I’d rather read a book, is all.

Cougar
    chvck
    Free Member

It is possible to, and in fact i do, do both…

joolsburger
    Free Member

My 8 year old is completely engaged by it and it seems pretty creative as games go he’s built himself a load of stuff -What he’s built I’ve no idea but I expect 43 year old, technologically inept fathers are not the target demographic. Better that than the latest Freedom, Blow up the foreigners, Murica Rules 5 or what ever.

Klunk
    Free Member

Good graphics do not make good gameplay.

yes but try that line with the publishers !!!!

Jamie
    Free Member

My 8 year old is completely engaged by it and it seems pretty creative as games go he’s built himself a load of stuff -What he’s built I’ve no idea but I expect 43 year old, technologically inept fathers are not the target demographic. Better that than the latest Freedom, Blow up the foreigners, Murica Rules 5 or what ever.

…and there’s the rub. Minecraft is actually…or at least has the ability to be, and whisper it so the youth don’t hear, quite educational. In that it encourages problem solving/motor skills/programming etc etc

Obviously, how far people chose to develop these skills is totally up to them, but the blocky looking sky really is the limit. As people have been building programmable computers within the ‘game’ since 2010.

Something even Google has taken on board as they have released several mods, such as qCraft that:

…enable kids (and adults) to play around with blocks that exhibit behaviours like quantum entanglement, superposition and observer dependency.

…with the end game of being able to spot the geniuses of tomorrow.

So all in all, yes, Minecraft is probably better for a child to be pissing about with than Call Of Duty.

…maybe not GTA, though 😉

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

My 11 year old daughter’s response below:

minecraft is a really fun game for kids and teenagers, not really for adults but aldults do still play the game. Minecraft lets your kids learn how to be creative and have fun with your friends because there is a multiplayer version and it’s really fun to discover all the different minerals and creations with other people. There are also a lot of servers that people have made that you can play on, you can play games like hunger games, run from the beast and other amazing mini games! Another amazing thing about minecraft is that you can get amazing texture packs and epic mods which can make the game even more fun purely because it can make the mobs massive or very over powered, and it can also add a lot more things to be creative with. Finally about the graphics, the graphics aren’t the best but that doesn’t mean it’s a bad game, it doesn’t change the way you play; just don’t worry about the graphics, think about the gameplay and how fun it is! Try it again after reading this and maybe you will see a different prospective of minecraft!

robbo
    Free Member

There is a complete generation split with minecraft and all video games, different things entertain different peaple. Some people like arcade games like street fighter others like call of duty

CHB

Daughter 12: very much into it!

As a dad who grew up craving better graphics, I share your thoughts on “it looks a bit rubbish”. However you and I are wrong.

The gameplay and creativity it allows are amazing.
    Moreover, the skills learnt incidentally by playing it are very useful. My daughter now understands servers and IP addresses. She also started developing skins for other minecraft users, so the creativity and use of software like Gimp is another skill that has come out of her minecraft usage.

Not a fan for dads (MW3!) but its one of the better bits of software for kids to learn without realising it!

Russell96

I quite enjoy it to while a few hours away in survival mode (big kid aged 47) got it on my Xbox, PC/Laptop and phone, PC version is the best. Another ace use of Dropbox for synching saves between PC & Laptop.

Jamie
    Free Member

CHB & Gilo’s posts lead me to my second, third?, point.

Minecraft is, unlike many games, not marketed solely at a male demographic. Which sometimes, unfortunately, leads to some games featuring rather large amounts of casual sexism and 1-dimensional portrayals of teh laydeez.

bokonon
    Free Member

I really enjoy it, I play it with all my kids (ages 4,7,9) iPad and Xbox versions, I can lose hours playing it on my own.

I think there is a traditional game in there somewhere – along the lines of sim city etc. – but there is more than that as well.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

My 8 year old lives his entire life thinking about minecraft.

I wasn’t impressed until I saw the mountain bike trail he had built me in the grounds of his castle.

rewski
    Free Member

My boys spend hours watching other people playing minecraft on youtube, I ain’t complaining because it means to ps3 is mine to play Nfs rivals.

eskay

rewski – Member

My boys spend hours watching other people playing minecraft on youtube,

not sure how old your lad is (or what your stance is) but there is a load of swearing on some of those Minecraft youtube videos. I stopped my kid’s watching them.

Drac

I ain’t complaining because it means to ps3 is mine to play Nfs rivals.

It’s on PS3 now too.

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s on PS3 now too.

I think he means the PS3 is free because the kids are watching videos on Youtube, maybe on a tablet or laptop, as opposed to playing it on the PS3.

aracer
    Free Member

Sorry I’ve not read all the thread, so this point might have been made, but is there any real point to any computer game?

Jamie
    Free Member

Sorry I’ve not read all the thread, so this point might have been made, but is there any real point to any computer game?

Define point.

…and I don’t mean that in a STW-esque point scoring fashion, more in what do you expect games to offer/achieve.

Drac

Entertainment, having a laugh with mates, improving hand eye co-ordination, improving computer skills, keeping the brain active.

aracer
    Free Member

So which of those don’t apply to minecraft?

…in case my last post gets misinterpreted I’ve nothing against computer games, play plenty of them and happy for my kids to play them. Jamie – I’m not suggesting there is anything wrong in not having a “point”.

Jamie
    Free Member

So which of those don’t apply to minecraft?

As mentioned above, Minecraft is like digital Lego. It can be used to piss away time, but you do run the risk of getting something constructive out of it.

Less so COD.

aracer
    Free Member

Sounds awful. <checks app store>

Cougar

Is there any point to watching films, reading books, going to the pub with your mates, talking bollocks on Internet forums?

Is there any point to riding your bike?

aracer
    Free Member

Exactly my point 😉

konabunny
    Free Member

“rewski – Member
    My boys spend hours watching other people playing minecraft on youtube,”

My nephew too. I’m bewildered.

rewski
    Free Member

not sure how old your lad is (or what your stance is) but there is a load of swearing on some of those Minecraft youtube videos. I stopped my kid’s watching them.

good point, usually in the same room, the guy they like is like a posh geek with a laugh like jimmy Carr, harmless I hope.

Yep we have the ps3 version, great value.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Minecraft, I just don't get it.’ is closed to new replies.