Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Milk. Buy local
  • njee20
    Free Member

Similar experience to wobbliscott was why we cancelled a few years back. They weren’t coming until 9 or so, we phoned and explained that was utterly useless, they said ‘we can get there for 8, probably’. Delivery cancelled. If they won’t help themselves…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ditto, organic veg. Disappointing delivery/state of food killed the nice idea for us.

br
    Free Member

Why prop up dairy farmers rsther than coal miners?

While we do have milk delivered (usually before 6am), because we use a lot and like the convenience, the above still applies.

Why are they a special case, although since somebody thought it’d be a good idea to subsidise new cars to the tune of £5k a pop – I’m sure there are other special cases that we should get rid of too.

https://www.gov.uk/plug-in-car-van-grants/overview

jambourgie
    Free Member

Eeeeh, when we were kids and used to visit our gran in the country, she’d give us a big plastic jug and we’d walk round to the farm next door and fill it up from the big vat in the milking shed… them were the days*

*The 80’s

Rio

Milk. Buy local

I do, it comes from this monstrosity which was built on what used to be a field of fresians:

I like the quaint image of the dairy industry as poor farmers with a few cows that they probably know by name being beaten up by the supermarkets but in reality it’s an industrial process in which only the biggest players will survive. The milk processors have been consolidating into a few big players with a series of mergers and takeovers and the creation of giant processing plants like the one above and the dairy farms will probably end up as a smaller number of giant indoor cowsheds based on those in the US. Farmers can to some extent shop around amongst the processors but the small farmer with a few cows doesn’t stand a chance. Progress innit.

anagallis_arvensis

do, it comes from this monstrosity which was built on what used to be a field of fresians:

Probably not much difference in wildlife value. Organic milk is better for wildlife but still not great.

squirrelking
    Free Member
    Cougar

T with milk?

br
    Free Member

Rio – Aylesbury?

but the small farmer with a few cows doesn’t stand a chance.

But he never did, without volume you can’t compete – no different to a corner shop.

Spin
    Free Member

This is a great wee film if you want an insight into the world of the small dairy farmer.

Rio

Rio – Aylesbury?

Yes, textbook example of how to manipulate a weak planning department.

manvstarmac

but the small farmer with a few cows doesn’t stand a chance.

But he never did, without volume you can’t compete – no different to a corner shop.

Unless you offer better service or more convenience which seems difficult for many local dairy farmers nowadays.

allfankledup

We were getting milk from one of our local farms – they would promise milk from cow to door in 24hrs – the milk was pasteurised, but not homogenised. Great product, good price.

The farm gave up producing milk and delivering it after the price paid by the large dairies didn’t cover cost of production – and other local milk delivery companies were stealing the milk delivered (so the farm derived milk service appeared unreliable)

Real pity, was really happy to use a locally sourced product – great to drive past the farm and tell the kids “That IS where your milk comes from”

Clover

I always buy Yeo Valley organic milk – they seem to have organised smaller organic farms into one brand for which I’m prepared to pay more. With really cheap milk I can’t believe that corners aren’t being cut and I just don’t want to drink it.

In a similar vein Able and Cole veg boxes seem to be really well organised, but also organic and supplied by smaller producers. So far they’ve worked for me – I used to use a local one but it couldn’t get its act together and folded. So far the Able and Cole version has worked better and offers more stuff I want to buy and their website is really easy to use).

bearnecessities

Yeo Valley organic milk

I’d like to know what witchcraft they use on their bio-yog; it tastes way too good for something that usually tastes like rancid gerbil sperm.

geoffj

Problem solved

cinnamon_girl

When I drank ‘normal’ milk I would frequently buy Duchy Originals Organic on account of their ethos. Now I only drink lactose-free (non-soya) milk for which there is only one supplier who are part of a cooperative. It doesn’t fill me with confidence at all. 🙁

The thought of having those enormous warehouse type structures filled with animals 24/7 is cruelty. 😐

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

rancid gerbil sperm

Proper LOL at that! Is it like, ‘Fosters = Weasel piss?

goldfish24

I thought ‘MilkMore’ was Dairy Crest, in which case they’re one of the worst for driving down prices, which is why I stopped using them.

If I can get local delivery from farmers being paid fair prices I’d be happy to pay extra for it.
    Yeah, I was slightly concerned that I just got sucked in to a sales spin once I ended up on the milkmore website, the salesman pleading at my door made me think I was supporting local farmers. I agree with your last point though; I live in west Sussex, it’s full of beautiful old farmland, I’d like to keep it that way and support local producers/workers/manufacturers and I can more than afford paying a fair price for the milk in my macchiato. just tell me where to sign up.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Milk. Buy local’ is closed to new replies.