Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • milage vs car age.
  • maxray
    Free Member

Which is the best ratio when buying second hand? E.g. a 56 plate with 20k or a 58 with 35k? Kind of thinking the newer car will be better from a technological stand point despite having done more miles. Am talking vag diesel engines if that makes a difference.

Cheers.

PePPeR

Neithers that much mileage, it’s less than one service interval between the two!

What are the price differences? If the 58 with 35k is the same price as the older car with less miles go for the one with more miles.

If you run them like I do until their over ten years old then it makes a difference as at the ten year point things start getting more expensive like breakdown insurance for the car, if you buy a 58 plate you’ll have two years longer!

Besides which how often do you see a 58 plate? Pretty rare, as it was when the car market crashed and everyone was waiting for the Gov’t to bring in the tax incentives. there aren’t many 58 plates available 😉

maxray
    Free Member

Interesting, yeah we run our cars on till the gritty end 🙂 our polo estate is just about to hit 180k miles (51 reg ) it has a few issues which will be more cost to sort than the value of the car.

jond
    Free Member

For the extra 15k on that mileage for a diesel I’d probably go for the younger one if the bodywork’s the same (tho’ more motorway miles might mean more stone chips). FWIW our ’02 A4 Avant’s just passed the 180k mark and is running fine (touch wood) – it was the GF’s company car and did ~120 mostly motorway miles daily up to 145k – we bought it when she was made redundant. So far: servicing, a recent cambelt change, as few corrosion related issues re number plate/fog lights, and some bushings. All at the ‘consumables’ level I guess.

If it was nearer the 60k mark that might be more of an issue, since that’d be due a cambelt…depends on how much mileage you expect to do in the nearish future I guess.

5lab

as with the above, unless you’re doing moon mileage yourself, get the higher miled one. The diesel mondeo outside has done 182k without mechanical issue, its rusty, dented, slow and the central locking doesn’t work, but it keeps on truckin..

mc
    Free Member

Newer with more miles will of likely done more motorway/distance work and suffered less stress/wear, than older with less mileage, which will of more likely done shorter journeys and suffered more stress/wear.

Cletus

+1 MC

A few years ago I was looking at a 6 year old BMW 3 series that had only done 23k. Thought I was getting a bargain util I saw it. The owner had just used it for driving round that London so very tired compared to a motorway cruiser with twice as many miles.

Matt24k
    Free Member

In this case it sounds like the later car with the higher mileage is the way to go. You need to look at both and make you decision remembering it is easier to give a car a “hair cut” with a laptop than it was in the old days with a screw driver.
    Check out the documentation to try and verify the mileage and if possible speak to previous owners on log book or dealers that have stamped the service book. Servicing dealers will keep records of work done and recorded mileage. It is too easy to buy a blank service book on ebay and get a stamp made. See http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SERVICE-BOOK-VW-/250868529396?pt=UK_CarParts_Vehicles_Manuals_Litterature_ET&hash=item3a68edf8f4

momo

Personally I’d go for the newer car, 35k is nothing on a modern deisel engine. A five year old car with 20k averages out to 4k a year which suggests lots of short journeys ie someone driving to an office and back, lots of short journeys will kill an engine quicker than motorway miles.

chiefgrooveguru

Old cars and low mileage equals short journeys or infrequent use, both of which are harder on cars than racking up lots of motorway miles is.

maxray
    Free Member

Great cheers all. 🙂 I do love the stw hive mind!

joemarshall
    Free Member

Old cars and low mileage equals short journeys or infrequent use,

Or doctored mileage. As I’m currently experiencing, dodgy second hand car dealers will do anything to get rid of a car (up to and including tampering with safety critical parts to diguise a dangerous vehicle).

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru – Member

Old cars and low mileage equals short journeys or infrequent use, both of which are harder on cars than racking up lots of motorway miles is.

Exactly that. A 56 plate with 20k miles is only 4k miles per year so probably all short distance stop/start town driving which knackers the engine very quickly. If it’s a 58 plate VAG you can extend the manufacturer warranty for another year for complete peace of mind

xcstu
    Free Member

Did of a duff question IMO it all boils down to what condition the car is in?? you could have the 58plate that has been abused and the 56plate in mint condition..

bought a car a few months ago and went to see the newer one first.. battered! went to see the older car and had been loved with every itch of its life 🙂

Condition/cost of the car first for me then worry about the mileage maybe??

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘milage vs car age.’ is closed to new replies.