Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Migraines why?!
  • stumpyjon

Not quite sure whether I get proper migranes or not (I know for some people it really is very serious but it's very difficult to judge your pain against someone else's). Dehydration and lack of sleep tend to trigger what I think of as headaches as well as stress (I'm definitely a stress head, often find myself clenching muscles when I stop and think about it). I find them pretty debilitating and usually end up trying to sleep them off.

They used to be worse when I was younger and usually involved a lot of vomiting. I think I've got better at spotting the symptoms which is maybe why they don't seem as bad. Usually ibropfren taken early enough can calm them (or me) down, leave it too late and they have no effect. Sometimes find exercise clears them, quite often a ride will get them out of my system, but again only if caught early enough. SOmetimes though the exercise can make them a lot worse, ended up bailing from a Gisburn dig day a couple of weeks ago, tried to work through it but it just got worse despite ibroprofen and loads of water, very embarrasing.

My wife definitely gets migraines and has Imigran prescribed. I've nicked a couple on odd occaisions and can't say I've noticed any side affects (although this may be because I try and sleep if it's that bad) she says they often clear the pain can leave her feeling a bit spaced out.

tyger
    Free Member

Thanks chaps

bumley
    Free Member

I also started getting migraines after suffering whiplash from a nasty car crash.

Imigran is the only thing that works for me, my migraines used to last 2-3 days now down to 30 mins with imigran. The only unpleasant side effect I get is a tight feeling in my chest.

I go to sleep around midnight weeknights and 1-2 at weekends. So around 6 hours per night.

I always know when a migraine is coming because my neck gets stiff and the migraine starts at the base of my skull. When I get a normal headache it starts more around my temples and forehead.

thepurist

There's also a potential link between a Patent Foramen Ovale (a form of hole in the heart) and migraine with aura. PFO's can cause decompression sickness in divers but many are relatively easily treated, and there was a strong link between divers suffering the bends with a PFO and migraine with aura. Furthermore it seems that after closure a lot of the migraine sufferers didn't have any further attacks.

If you're a repeat sufferer of migraine with aura it might be worth checking up on the research into PFOs, waving it under your GPs nose and getting a referral to be checked out.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Migraines why?!’ is closed to new replies.