Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Midge death!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Bejesssus how many of them out in the woods tonight!!!

Pook

loads on Monday too. I parked my car near the woods and driving home there were some hitchhikers. Thousands of the sods!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Oh and not the ultravox man.

senorj

The satanic Epping horseflies are back – my left calf was not a pretty site on Monday ! still sore. 🙁

zippykona

And where the eff did mosquitos come from?
    When I was a kid you would get gnats by a river and that was it.
    Last nights little fecker was so gorged on my blood he couldn’t even move as I subjected him to a slow death. If the spiders were around he would have gone in the web.

mtbfix

Midges are pure evil. At least mozzies and horseflies have the decency to be big enough to be seen when they land on you.

Trimix
    Free Member

Its interesting, 10, 20 years ago I dont remember any at all. Whats happend, have their natural predators died off, is it the environment, is it magic ??

wrightyson
    Free Member

Last night in a dappled sunlight spot I swear I rode thro a cloud of them that was 5 or 6 m long!

Northwind

I went to Fort William twice in the last fortnight and barely saw a midge. Sign of the end times, that. I guess they’re all on holiday.

globalti
    Free Member

Wetter summers and more wetland habitats, more damp shady vegetation under trees (look at an old photo of your area to see how trees have grown) and bracken is not being scythed as it was. Result: happy midges.

16stonepig
    Free Member

I got absolutely destroyed by them at Afan last weekend, stopping to change a puncture. My legs look like the Polka Dot Jersey.

wwaswas

Sometimes living in the South East of England has it’s attractions!

Only flying thing I saw last night was the barn owl that flew beside me for about 40 metres 🙂

timidwheeler

I got bitten by a horsefly at the weekend. Between Wendover and Chequers in the Chilterns.

bencooper
    Free Member

I got bitten in the Chilterns once.

retro83
    Free Member

timidwheeler – Member

I got bitten by a horsefly at the weekend. Between Wendover and Chequers in the Chilterns.

bencooper – Member

I got bitten in the Chilterns once.

We’ve all been there chaps, the worst bit is that you can’t scratch it in public 🙁

timidwheeler

😀 the annoying thing is, I really thought about the best way to phrase it without leaving that joke available.

bigbadbob
    Free Member

Up the Pentlands there were loads of them, all near the various water bits. My Skin so Soft did the job last night, forget it last week and was bitten to hell.

stevied
    Free Member

is it the environment, is it magic ??

Neither:
    It’s either the Tories or Global warming.

Northwind

Jungle Formula: If you can still feel your lips, you haven’t used enough.

stevied
    Free Member

+1 for JF. Used it extensively when working in the woods as a gamekeepers apprentice

kcal

Jungle Juice. handy for dissolving sunglasses or nylon clothing, as well.

Smidge seem quite effective, without reducing plastics to Dali inspired portraits.

Northwind

Repellant DEET stuff etc is also totally compatible with skin so soft if you want to double bag it. (I got a tiny wee carriable bottle of skin so soft from the cafe at coed y brenin, I’ve never seen that elsewhere- usually I buy it by the hogshead)

vickypea
    Free Member

I was polka-dotted by midges last night while we were riding near Buxton.

scotroutes

Smidge is still working well for me, and I say that as a previously dyed-in-the-wool Skin so Soft man.

epicyclo

Weight weenies rejoice!

Ride and get lighter at the same time!

Stop and get even lighter.

What’s not to like?

Ain’t Scotland wunnerful?

neninja
    Free Member

Got eaten alive at Hamsterley last week. Everyone we saw was keeping moving constantly – if anyone dropped back they were on their own. It was horrible – if you stopped for even a moment you were covered in midges. That was using Deet and another repellant.

It never used to be that bad – I think they’re leaving Scotland and heading South.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Midge death!’ is closed to new replies.