Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 154 total)
  • Middle lane hogs and tailgaiting
  • piemonster

Fines, good.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Nice idea, who’s going to enforce it?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I don’t do a lot of motorway driving anymore but when I do, what do I see? Middle lane hogs? Yup, lots. Tailgating? Yup, even more. Mobile phone use? Yes, though less on the motorway than around town I reckon. Polis to issue these tickets? Two fifths of bugger all.

Unless there’s another way they’re going to surveil the driving?

monkey_boy
    Free Member

good nwws but they should also add the lost art of INDICATING!!! (Unless they have)

piemonster

Ahhh, indicating. Yes that is a dying art.

You can tell what sort of state indicating is in by passing a lorry. Indicating to signal your intentions, then the lorry flashing you as you haven’t indicated after commencing the manoeuvre.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

as nobody ever got stopped or taken to court why will it change? Back in the 90’s I saw motorway cops all the time, when I left the UK last year I could go a week or 2 on the M6/60/62 and see none.

Edric64
    Free Member

If the middle lane hogs move over then there is no need to tailgate

obelix
    Free Member

Tailgating? A nice firm dab on the brakes usually gets them to drop back a few car lengths. Love the look on their faces when they eventually pass.

stumpy01

I like the idea in theory, but not sure how they will enforce it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I like the idea in theory, but not sure how they will enforce it.

It’ll go down well with the Top Gear demographic. Can’t see how it’ll be enforced either.

agent007
    Free Member

Sounds like a good plan and about time this happened. Hopefully there will be more police on the road to enforce things.

Nice to see at last that the emphasis of road policing is becoming less focused on the soft target that is ‘speeding’ and more focused on the actual safety and quality of peoples driving.

Let’s hope the police/council put as much effort in to catch these people as they have with their war on the speeding motorist.

retro83
    Free Member

obelix – Member
    Tailgating? A nice firm dab on the brakes usually gets them to drop back a few car lengths. Love the look on their faces when they eventually pass.

oh like this you mean? 😆
    NSFW!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5dL4DPm-DE

scaredypants

obelix – Member

Tailgating? A nice firm dab on the brakes usually gets them to drop back a few car lengths. Love the look on their faces when they eventually passobelix is AWESOME !!?

MSP

I think there is a case for fines without penalty points for this kind of minor offence.

Like for speeding, where in the UK, you get around 10mph leeway on speed cameras (in a 30), In Germany you get a smaller amount of leeway, then just a 20euro fine with no points, just to let you know you have been caught and to be more careful in future.

GrahamS

If the middle lane hogs move over then there is no need to tailgate

Lovely logic: “Hey you’re driving badly, so I’m going to drive really badly and dangerously to teach you a lesson”

zilog6128

Tailgating? A nice firm dab on the brakes usually gets them to drop back a few car lengths.

Counteract them driving like bell-ends by you driving like a bell-end? What happens when they’re not concentrating for a fraction of a second and plough into the back of you?

Back to OP: nice idea, I support it, but how can it be enforced when the police can’t even enforce the speed limit?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

retro, It’s better done when your not the only car on the m’way in the outside lane 😉

It’s perfectly reasonable to increase the gap between you and the car in front if you feel you need more room to slow down due to the impatient arse behind.

I tend to use the washers first as suggested by a defensive driving course to suggest you might be too close – also works on tailgaiting motorbikes.

For general reference the stopping distance in the highway code is about double what most people think by the look of the roads these days.

Tom83

retro83 – Member
    oh like this you mean?
    NSFW!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5dL4DPm-DE

Love it!

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Its good news and I hope it means more people move over left but I suspect it will largely remain the same.

Tailgating is largely due to either impatience OR the fact somebody hasnt moved left when they should. This pushes some drivers to undertake… which, if they have the space to do, then just shows the driver in front had the space to move left.

martinhutch

Trouble is, the legal definition of tailgating will probably cover about 50% of drivers on the M25/42/62 in daylight hours.

piemonster

I suspect any enforcement will be done in a similar fashion to speeding in the motorway. At the discretion of the Police based (hopefully) on just how much of an idiot the driver is being.

That guy in the red Toyota Corolla I see on the way to Edinburgh airport between Kelty and Rosyth will hopefully get sone attention.

Doubt it, admittedly.

chainslapp
    Free Member

I think there is a case for fines without penalty points for this kind of minor offence.

That depends on which offence you are referring to. Threatening someone with over a tons weight of a vehicle at 70mph by trying to move them out of the way through intimidation is not a minor offence IMO. Of course, if everyone moved over to the far left of the motorway, then there wouldn’t be any need for tail gating.

The Police don’t have enough presence on the roads either for this to be effective. I often witness drivers who are breaking the speed limit, slow down to a more acceptable speed when they can see a Police motorway patrol car up ahead.

This is only the tip of the iceberg in terms of sloppy driving and disregard for others on the road IMO.

garage-dweller

And they will use what resource to enforce this exactly?

I applaud the fact that they finally seem to have publically acknowledged speeding is not the only road safety issue but the police cant deal with that widely enough even with the assistance of all the cameras.

I have an idea how you could police this and mobile phone use quite easily.

Tailgaters are a pet hate as i often have my young kids in the car. More vulnerable than adults and first in line to get hit by some selfish **** who doesnt grasp the idea that the gap in front of me is there so i dont kill or maim someone AND to make traffic flow better. If you have to brake when a vehicle travelling at a similar speed to you pulls out you are more than likely too close to the car in front. The gap should be big enough that someone can pull out into it safely.

samuri
    Free Member

We should just give police guns. Then they can hammer down the motorway at a ton twenty to surprise people. if they see someone tailgating or middle lane hogging they can shoot a couple of windows out thus costing them the same as a fine and putting the squirts up chummy to the bargain. No delay in judgement and they can be back at the station in time for elevenses.

There is no way this suggestion can go wrong.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Lack of indicating probably winds me up most as it requires so little effort. In my car it means lifting your finger about 5 millimetre to indicate right, and dropping your finger about 5 millimetre to indicate left.

I do wonder how people who find that effort too much manage to muster enough energy to turn their steering wheels when required.

A while back I saw the inevitable, a car in the inside lane moving into the middle lane without indicating, whilst simultaneously a car in the outside lane also moved into the middle lane without indicating, lots of frantic swerving at the last minute was required to avoid a collision.

piemonster

Arm the police, why stop there

Although not having a naff design for the Lawmaster would be needed.

hels
    Free Member

I think there are way more serious offences to which the Police should be dedicating their time.

Failure to indicate on roundabouts would be on my list, but everything comes a poor second to the constant misuse of the possessive apostrophe I see all around me. If that was punishable by death people would soon learn !

br
    Free Member

Tailgating, hmm. And how are they actually going to define it?

What is too close and at what speed?

And that split-second when you come to overtake on an A-road, often you are very close – does that count?

My wife says I drive too close, but she’s the one who’s twice run into other cars, whereas I (in +30 years of driving) never have – so its less about distance and more about the driver.

piemonster

,’,:;-“‘,

hels
    Free Member

Sorry, I mean “roundabout’s”.

kimbers

yesterday I saw a car do a last minute no indicator turn off- crossing over the hashed box to do so at an mway on ramp that was backed up,
    when I saw a police car do exactly the same a few car lengths back I chuckled thinking the copper was gonna nab them, nope he just drove on, didnt wanna sit in traffic either

this will never be enforced

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What is too close and at what speed?

If you need to ask you probably shouldn’t be driving.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cameras on gantries. With a big flashing “AB63CDE You Are Tailgating/Middle Lane Hogging”.

Lots of folk just don’t realise they’re doing it.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I seldom drive on motorways in Scotland, maybe once a year I drive down to France and the standard of driving to get there is awful. Even late at night with almost nothing on the roads there are still twerps sitting in the middle lane.

Driving on French motorways is a pure pleasure. Speeds are a lot higher and with good lane discipline it’s a whole lot safer.

Fine and give them points, as it’s dangerous driving their insurance premiums should rise too.

There is a god after all. 👿

MSP

Lane hogging should have a clearly stated rule/law against it. That’s the first obvious step. It could be enforced by cameras in high accident areas.

It will take years to filter through peoples consciousness, but that doesn’t make it a wrong thing to do, it just means we won’t get an immediate benefit.

Sometimes it just takes time to change society’s behaviour, and this is certainly apparent on the roads. When I left school in the mid 80’s, drink driving seemed quite common in the older generation, now virtually everyone sees it as being quite abhorrent. That change didn’t happen overnight, it took 20 years to become significant.

Every time there is a driving/roads type thread, most seem to only consider what will change between today and tomorrow, not where will we be in a generations time (especially when discussing cycle lanes). It’s no wonder politicians are forced into short termism, when that’s all the voters are capable of.

retro83
    Free Member

mcmoonter – Member

I seldom drive on motorways in Scotland, maybe once a year I drive down to France and the standard of driving to get there is awful. Even late at night with almost nothing on the roads there are still twerps sitting in the middle lane.

Driving on French motorways is a pure pleasure. Speeds are a lot higher and with good lane discipline it’s a whole lot safer.

It’s really strange. You drive back through France towards the tunnel, everything is fine, people staying in the correct lane, overtaking, moving back. Then as soon as they’re back in Angleterre, it’s straight back in the middle lane where they then remain for the duration. MOVE OVER YOU HELMET

crazy-legs

Still not sure about the whole fines thing though, it just seems to indicate that you can buy your way out of shit driving.

Mobile phone use, I’d smash the phone at the side of the road, right in front of them. All their pictures, files, contacts, smashed into bits.
    If they’re caught again within a year, impound the car for a month.

The inconvenience of that is more effective than the loss of £100.

As above though, it’s going to take another 10 years to change the perception of mobile phone use and the whole process still relies on enforcement – actually having some police out there on the roads to deal with it.

DezB
    Free Member

It will take years to filter through peoples consciousness

Nah. It’ll NEVER get into the head of most of them. Because THEY DON’T KNOW THEY ARE DOING IT.

convert

Whilst middle lane hogging can be blatant (empty road, sat there for miles), there is also a grey area. If you are overtaking slower traffic in the left hand lane there can be that awkward distance between two vehicles that can be difficult to judge when you should indicate and move left or stay out to overtake the next vehicle. What that distance is comes from experience and takes into account the speed difference, the volume of traffic, if there is a junction coming up and so on and could be wrongly judged or indeed two people could have different interpretations. I hope this is enforced with some common sense – unlike speed which is evidence based this could be more subtle. Get a police bod in a bad mood…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘Middle lane hogs and tailgaiting’ is closed to new replies.