Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 145 total)
  • Middle lane drivers – an observation
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Why do all middle lane drivers seem to have their seats really far forward and drive whilst hunched over their steering wheel?

GrahamS

Not all. I keep my seat almost as far back as it goes.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Because they are squinting, whilst trying to get your plate as you cut them up making a last minute dash for the slip road in your Audi TT

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tiger_roach
    Free Member

Not noticed that but my Gran recently told me she drove in the middle lane which I told her was wrong – she then said she doesn't drive on those roads any more anyway – she's 90 you know…. To be fair I don't think they had 3 lane roads when she learnt to drive and took her test.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Im a middle lane cruiser. I drive with my seat slammed back and just chill, maybe with a bit of Roots Manuva on the stereo. Might even have a cigarette aswell. Im in no rush and changing lanes is a real effort man.

tron
    Free Member

Because they're idiots who don't know how to drive properly.

crazy-legs

Jamie
    Free Member

My seat is so far back i'm in the boot.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

We have no motorways in Cornwall. What's a middle lane?

mrsgrips
    Free Member

Motorway drivers in Britain are utterly annoying no matter what lane they're in… or trying to get in.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

We have no motorways in Cornwall. What's a middle lane?

The knobbily bit on a Cornish Pasty

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Because they are squinting, whilst trying to get your plate as you cut them up making a last minute dash for the slip road in your Audi TT

I was a passenger in my wife's Mazda 3 when I made this observation.

;-P

ski
    Free Member

Its so they can reach the Werther's Original off the dash…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

UK drivers are utterly brilliant compared to Italians.

Try driving in/near Milan – you WILL almost die at least three times per hour.

richmtb

I was driving recently in France, lane discipline there is strictly adhered to. Mind you they also tailgate like crazy. So maybe in balance middle lane drivers aren't that bad.

But yes you are right a lot of middle lane drivers seem to be trying to lick there windscreen!

tron
    Free Member

Mind you they also tailgate like crazy.

As far as I can tell, tailgating in France means "I want to go faster than you". So you move over, and they do.

In the UK, it fairly often means "I don't know what a stopping distance are".

brassneck

My colleague gave me a lift to the hotel from the office.

10 minutes, 10 times I saw the big bright light coming for me, it was like being in a Bourne movie.

To cap it all, I walked the next evening and it was quicker!

zokes
    Free Member

Motorway drivers in Britain are utterly annoying no matter what lane they're in… or trying to get in.

Christ, you lot should try observing drivers down here in South Australia – they make the worst 90 yearold 40mph-everywhere driver seem alert, competent and conciencious…

I think the opposite extreme (Italy) is actually easier to deal with…

molgrips
    Free Member

Lack of skill and awareness leading to lack of confidence?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah that is probably the correct answer Molgrips – funny to read the other comments though 🙂

Every time I use a motorway I really am stunned by the stupidity of some drivers though…

br
    Free Member

Same in all countries that have roads with more than 2 lanes, and restrict undertaking.

tron
    Free Member

Lack of skill and awareness leading to lack of confidence?

I reckon that sitting too close to the steering wheel is a sure sign that someone's a shit driver. You just can't steer properly when you're that close!

molgrips
    Free Member

I'm not stunned. A lot of people are really thick, and those people do drive. So doesn't surprise me at all when I meet them 🙂

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I sit close to the wheel if it's hot and I don't want to sweat in to my shirt. My driving is AWESOME though

vinnyeh

Cruise control at 65, seat reclined and feet up on the dash here. 🙂

fadda

I've seen the damage an airbag can do when it goes off if you sit too close to it, as well. Not nice.

Although it also bugs me when people are so laid back that they can't possibly exert proper leverage on the wheel. One of my very good mates is an example – he can't reach the top of the wheel without leaning forward but claims it's "more comfortable" for him that way…

Luckily, I'm absolutely perfect and so I'm entitled to make all these judgements… 😉

tamworthcrowd
    Free Member

I principally undertake middle-lane drivers whenever possible. I consider it an educational measure.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

What i don't get is that all these AWESOME drivers, suddenly get confused and distracted when they have to deal with someone cruising at near the speed limit in the middle lane. I drive in the middle lane a lot, and sometimes i overtake people in other lanes. It's really easy, those who find it a problem should be forced to take another test.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Every time I use a motorway I really am stunned by the stupidity of some drivers though…

Everytime I read one of your threads I'm stunned by the banality and arrogance of some of your posts ……

See what I did there 😛

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

UK drivers are utterly brilliant compared to Italians.

I'm not so sure of that. Yes, agreed, they do seem dangerous in Italy and you WILL fear for your life, but I don't think they're BAD drivers as such: They can control a car, that's for sure, and they drive fast and loose. It's a skill IMO, just a skill they should ease up on now and again. I've ridden a motorbike round Milan, down to Bologne, then to Florece. It was brilliant, but you need to ride FLAT OUT everywhere!
    You can't drive flat out all your life and not crash, basically. 🙂

I'd toatally agree with this though –

Christ, you lot should try observing drivers down here in South Australia – they make the worst 90 yearold 40mph-everywhere driver seem alert, competent and conciencious…

I think the opposite extreme (Italy) is actually easier to deal with…

I have driven in a fair few countries and Australia has BY FAR AND AWAY the worst drivers I've ever experienced. They simply CANNOT contol a car. They wander all over the place, can't keep a constant speed, take a corner properly and seemingly have no idea what to do with any of the controls of their vehicle basically.
    I wasn't bothered because I was in a borrowed V8 Tuareg, on a British license they can't put points on, so I just tooled about like there was no tomorrow, picking off overtakes with ease.
    I bought an Oz motorbike mag whilst I was there and the editorial was about just this: The guy had been on a bike relese in Germany and said he felt much safer there, basically, and they give a license to anyone with poor training, then try and stop accidents and such with silly low speed limits, double points over Christmas time and speed traps in remote locations.
    I really was shocked at how bad they were.

mrchrispy

wasn't there a scientific study that found if middle lane hoggers pulled over when they were supposed to they stopped being ****?

zokes
    Free Member

Well, despite their V8 Holden UTEs, our little Hyundi Getz is a performance car when driver reactions and skill are taken into consideration.

I know that sound more than a little big-headed, so I'll clarify: That's imagining it being driven by my 80 year old gran, who has never had a license…

Shockingly appalling at everything they do when it comes to driving. The cops are as bad. As PP says – if they want to improve road safety, they should try teaching people to drive at some point before giving them a license. They're much less aggressive than UK drivers mind you, but I guess that stems from most of them being half asleep…

DezB
    Free Member

I drive in the middle lane a lot, and sometimes i overtake people in other lanes. It's really easy…

Just about sums up the standard middle lane driver attitude. "It's easy. I don't have to change lanes or indicate or think or consider anyone else at all"

mrchrispy

dont feed the troll 🙂

damion
    Free Member

Sorry, but I have to sit with the seat all the way forward 'cause my arms are too short, and its the only way my feet touch the pedals.

Wozza
    Free Member

I really don't see what the big deal is.

I'd much rather be a middle lane driver regularly passing trucks and slower vehicles, rather than some prick constantly cutting the motorway up with their pathological desire to get back into the inside lane, usually driving a white "1.9 diesel with the sports pack innit".

Another way to think of this is that middle lane drivers are considerate… considerate of the people they've just past, rather than idiots driving far too fast racing each other.

It's a road not a racetrack.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

" i overtake people in other lanes"

That is a problem. We do not expect "undertaking" because it is prohibited, so "undertaking" is dangerous. I don't mind changing to the inside lane to pass centre lane hoggers but it is awkward to plan when it is busy in that lane.

I just don't understand how they feel safe trundling along in the centre lane – do they not notice juggernauts bearing down on them in their mirrors?

RealMan
    Free Member

Another way to think of this is that middle lane drivers are considerate

crazy-legs

I just don't understand how they feel safe trundling along in the centre lane – do they not notice juggernauts bearing down on them in their mirrors?

I overtook (in the correct lane!) a middle lane driver who'd been holding up miles of traffic by sitting there, completely oblivious to people flashing their lights, overtaking and cutting sharply back in, trucks hooting, people undertaking. Nothing fazed this driver, he was in his own little bubble at 55mph in the middle lane, just didn't have a clue.

Cougar

I drive in the middle lane a lot, and sometimes i overtake people in other lanes.

So do I. However, I also do the same in the other two lanes as well. I'd recommend it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 145 total)

The topic ‘Middle lane drivers – an observation’ is closed to new replies.