Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • mid life crisis car on a shoestring
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

Al, it doesn’t take a genius to work out that a mass produced Japanese car is going to cost less to run than a Lotus. You must know that ! You’ve just had a bad/rusty one.

johndoh
    Free Member

Barchetta

It’s only available LHD though isn’t it? Otherwise it’s a great call.

I also really like the Fiat Coupe – it’s a thing of beauty, especially with the matching-coloured interiors.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Cant believe nobody has suggested a Pagani Zonda yet. No imagination you lot.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Andy it is mostly Japanese!

Its not been spares that cost, mostly welding.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If its a fun 2nd car why not get something actually classic like an MG, Triumph, Austin etc. For one reason or another my Midgets barely done more than drive for its MOT the last 3 years, still a right giggle though. Depends if you resent spending money on it though, nothing will be cheaper than the mazda.

And unlike any cheap hot hatch people wont assume your hanging arround with Schoolgirls in mcDonalds car parks.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Can’t say I would want to move from a rwd to fwd, it’s going to feel dull in comparison.

I’d say repair, another MX5 or a Suzuki Cappuccino, a stunningly good car to drive.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Andy it is mostly Japanese!

the lotus ?

I never got past the fact the Esprit had the same door handles as my Mum’s Allegro

tthew

Lotus Elise?

edit – my bad, way outside the price range. The cheapest on Autotrader is R reg for eight grand! Can’t quite believe that.

sadexpunk

my mates selling a porsche but i dont know what type or age it is, i dont do cars 😀

if youre interested in finding out then mail me mate and ill find out some details. car is in lincs.

cheers

legend
    Free Member

sadexpunk – Member
    my mates selling a porsche but i dont know what type or age it is, i dont do cars

Probs one of these then, should be within budget:

markrh
    Free Member

Its not a mid life crisis car unless its a money pit. Rules is rules 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Seems logical , do all the welding then sell it….

Welding done right shouldnt need looking at for ages….

Had the same chat with mcmoonter when the disco was due for mot….he welded shit out of it last year , it failed on the other side this year , the original sides still solid. So he just fixed it up and it sailed through.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

GTV / Spyder. What could go wrong? 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

Good point TR.

Andy – yeah.

Quite like Cappuccinos bit they are known rusters?

TINAS tragically I like something that is considered naff – had many a flaming for the MX5

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Yes caps are know rusters. But it tends to be where you can see it ie arches. I had one for abt 3 years and wax oiled it myself. A lot of the panels are simply bolted on.

Engine is pretty bomb proof if the turbo hasn’t been boosted.

Only car I wish I still had. Go kart handling like nothing else, not much grip, incredible feel through the brakes, and 70mph feels like 150 in modern cars, and the noise it makes is really quite nice with a stainless exhaust

squirrelking
    Free Member

Read its the best FWD carever

Okay. Or a DC2 Integra Type-R. But good luck getting one of them on budget that isn’t a dog.

matt_outandabout

Not sure it counts as MLC car, but the more powerful one should be fun.

timber

The 944 has had some big bills in the last year but stuff that was routine and known to be needed when we bought it (belts changed and steering rack recon.) All parts are pricey. Otherwise just fuel. It drives brilliantly on all surfaces and finds traction well, not harsh, not rolly. Plenty of noise and torque, 3.0 S2, and all the valves really get moving at 4k and it urges on again.

Downside is you have to go so fast to get the feel of the ‘5 in the corners, but pulls out of them like the ‘5 never could.

Fuel wise it is marginally worse than the ‘5 and possibly better than the 1.8t 4×4 octavia shed.

epicyclo

cynic-al – Member

..I just want something fun, reliable and topless as well as the GF…

I have read through this thread carefully to see what car may be more fun than a reliable topless girlfriend.

timber

Ours was in your budget this time last year too.

andyl
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MK-Indy-kitcar-project-/181667139591?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a4c349007

Open top sports car – check

Project/moneypit that will sit in the garage for months/years before it’s finished – check

Gary_C

Hora, your expertese comes from….? Owning? Forum reading?

He’s an expert on cars don’tcha know. After all, he said this on a thread a while back:

hora – Member
    I don’t know much about cars

Oh, hang on… 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

No one mention an early 225 Audi TT Roadster yet ?

You confuse me..

boblo
    Free Member

Al I thought Pete was your welder of choice these days. OK so you might need to buy the odd pattern part and industrial quantities of Hob Nobs but that’s got to be cheaper than a Hethel special?

You secretly see yourself as the Saint or 007 in The Spy Who Loved Me, that’s it. We’ll if you’re taking your Elan underwater, best get it Waxoyled 🙂

jamesfts
    Free Member

I also really like the Fiat Coupe – it’s a thing of beauty, especially with the matching-coloured interiors.

The NAs are actually quite sensible in terms of running costs, FIAT actually did a good job of galvanising them so rust isn’t a problem. Add a turbo into the mix though and they can get very expensive very quickly – ideal mid life crisis car if they weren’t fwd.

To be honest I can’t think of much cheaper to run than an MX5, what is costing the money? 182 would be up there as a cheap, fun car but hardly mid life crisis worthy.

epicyclo

I had one of these. Great fun.

This one is on eBay right now.

jimjam
    Free Member

It might be possible to sum this up – fast/fun reliable cheap choose two.

BadlyWiredDog

Its not a mid life crisis car unless its a money pit. Rules is rules

On that basis, I can thoroughly recommend a Corrado VR6. On the face of it a mass-produced VW, in reality put together by Karmann from a mix of VW production and heinously expensive limited production run parts, which are starting to disappear from the world. Good fun, does almost 150mph, but a bit like running a stealth Porsche…

I sometimes think I could have bought a 911 instead and saved some money… 😉

beej

Read its the best FWD carever
    Okay. Or a DC2 Integra Type-R. But good luck getting one of them on budget that isn’t a dog.

I owned both (M100 Elan and DC2 Type-R) at the same time!

Both were great handling but very different. Elan was much softer but lower (hence didn’t roll much), car felt more solid than you might imagine. Type-R was pretty stiff, felt very light and delicate to drive. Steering feedback was brilliant.

I’d happily have either again as a second car. My Elan had been tweaked by the previous owner – more boost, sports exhaust – and made some lovely noises.

jimjam
    Free Member
    legend
    Free Member

182 would be up there as a cheap, fun car but hardly mid life crisis worthy.

Get a turbo/supercharged/ITB’d one – should drop it neatly into the money pit category then

DavidB
    Free Member

RX8? I used to be able to get my bike in the boot of mine.

trail_rat
    Free Member

cheap RX8s make me shudder. brits as a whole seem to be scared of engine work.

its all voodoo isnt it (it isnt really – its not rocket science )

seeing how folk on here regard timing belts (the concensus seems to be a “cant see it from the drivers seat and the car still drives on cheap motors) – represents how normal folks see the seals on the rotary engines in bottom of the market rx8s where the OP is looking to shop.

TheFlyingOx

Quite right. If it’s done right it’s a 60,000 mile job, and if you shop around won’t be much more than your average timing belt/pulley/water pump replacement. Plus, you could buy at the bottom, save £1500 for a fresh engine when the time comes and still have cash left from your £3k to pay for insurance and first tank of fuel. Even the running costs aren’t that bad. Roughly 22mpg, compared to 29-30mpg for the mk1 MX5s. I’d take a punt on that any day of the week.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks all, plenty more good suggestions.

I would re iterate:
    It does NOT need to be fast, just fun.
    It is NOT to be a money pit.
    It does 1-2000 miles pa.

Any thoughts on a mk 1 TT hardtop? Massive payload! My guess is the cabrio will be a bit soft, and neither cheap to run.

conkerman
    Free Member

Some options.

Remember, any car can be a money pit.

I would avoid the Lotus, unless it came with lots and lots of bills to support all the common jobs being done (suspension refresh etc.) Have you priced up a replacement hood?

– Properly sort the MX5. Better the devil and all that.
    – Mk3 MR2.
    – TVR S. Robust mechanicals, Check chassis for rust.
    – Find a rust free MX-5 if you like it.
    – MG TF.

Personally I would go for a 2003 ish MR2.

Underhill
    Free Member

Just to add support to another contender, +1 for the MG TF. For 3k you could get a to spec 160hp VVC. Ideally look at a 2002/3 model for the best specification.

Surprisingly spacious for a 2 seater and capable of taking a bike on a boot mounted rack or with the wheels off, on the passenger side. Room in the boot for a weeks luggage.

High revving engine on the VVC which really works well with being thrashed, but doesn’t need to go fast to be fun. Shines on B roads & can put many an Audi or BMW to shame through the corners.

Budget for a head gasket at some time, but if you can do it yourself it’s not expensive, and if you treat the car right, you may not even need it.

stumpy01

Not fast, but fun…..

Ford Puma.

Or, thinking about it…..the SportKa or StreetKa (if you want a convertible)

pictonroad

What about a 2.8 Z3? I’ve driven one a bit, good noise and that’s half the appeal of that sort of motor.

Del

TVR s is a bad idea. chassis would be suspect unless it’s been rebodied, and if it’s been rebodied i’d expect it to be over budget. much as my chimeara was awesome, i would not recommend a tvr to anyone on a shoestring.

TT would be neither fun nor cheap.

Z3 is like driving sitting on an orange crate IME.

unfortunately OP you appear to own the budget mid-life crisis car already.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘mid life crisis car on a shoestring’ is closed to new replies.