Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Mid Life Crisis
  • shooterman

Anyone been through one? Any tips for coping?

GaryLake
    Free Member

Dunno, I’m only 26 but trying to take up marathon racing feels like what I imagine a MLC to feel like – I’m just too young for it to actually be that 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Dunno – I’m only 50.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I’m 40 in 43 days, I’m not coping though I haven’t got a sports car or a harley yet

Mitch36
    Free Member

41 last week, i just gave up booze and dragged my old VT out the shed, i didn’t know i had got this fat, maybe i need HRT?

andyfla
    Free Member

I have decided to ride the whole of the tour de france next year, and I am 40 in August,

Coincidence, I think not.

Olly
    Free Member

why be ashamed about buying a sports car or a harley.
    i can wait for mine!

hopefully then ill have enough pounds scurried away to be able to buy a caterham (un built) and live in a house with a garage!

grasp it with two hands and buy frivolous things!

Trekster

and the symptoms are

I`m oldest so far

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

hopefully then ill have enough pounds scurried away to be able to buy a caterham (un built) and live in a house with a garage!

My father in law was in his 50s before he could do that (and he is the MD of a company).

After writing it off for a second time (on a track, damper blew) I think he is selling it (Westfield actually, but same chassis) and getting a classic and doing rallies (GT type leisurely ones, not Lombard RAC ones).

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I had one when I hit 30. 40 this year so time for another one 😀

Can’t do the sports car thing but am thinking about life-ambitions quite a bit.

jova54
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    Dunno – I’m only 50.

I’m only 54 and I haven’t had mine yet, but then age is only a state of mind.

zarquon
    Free Member

that is not what you have to look out for far worse aspects of growing old are

1.) your body falling apart. For the last two years have hardly been on the bike due to back injury, just about got this sorted and my knee has now gone – now allowed to do some “light cycling” grrrrr!

2.) You still have the same attraction to gorgeous examples of the opposite sex (or same depending on your proclivity I guess) but realise that you are even further away from being able to fulfill your desires

3.) You realise that you’re never going to write that novel, play in that band, start in that movie and that life is going to be that dull job until you get your pension and they shovel dirt on your face – hence the sports cars

p.s. yes, I did buy a sports car recently

p.p.s enjoy

iamsporticus
    Free Member

I had one last year

I already had a motorbike so bought a DH rig instead

GavinT
    Free Member

When’s it meant to start? I’m 41 soon. Fitter than I’ve ever been. Bit of grey – women seem to like that. Did the sports car thing in my 20s. Never owned a motor bike and never will. Far more confident and succesfull with the opposite sex than I ever was in my ‘Youth’ too.

I’ve either never had one or it’s just been one continuous crisis since I was about 18.
    ;o)

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

2.) You still have the same attraction to gorgeous examples of the opposite sex (or same depending on your proclivity I guess) but realise that you are even further away from being able to fulfill your desires

rubbish, there’s loads of gorgeous women in the late 30’s, 40’s and up! ok, so the older woman fantasy becomes a same age fantasy, but so what.

You realise that you’re never going to write that novel

why not?

zarquon
    Free Member

Gav: I am not being entirely serious… but I think you’ll have to admit that the locus of possibilities narrows. It’s highly likely that in your 40s you are less likely to be attractive to somebody in their 20s, but as you say there are plenty of people in 30s/40s who are attractive.

If you haven’t written the novel etc in over 40 years of existence on the planet it is less likely that you are going to do so now, but not impossible.

picking up injuries is awful though, I wouldn’t mind if I was a couch potato but I’m not

shooterman

Some pretty funny responses there.

I was actually asking from a more serious perspective. I’m going through a period at the moment of questioning my choices in life, looking at how I got here and wondering what the future is going to be like.

I’m 38 and panicking that I’m nowhere near where I wanted to be by 40!

izakimak
    Free Member

i’m planning mine at the moment, i think it’s goin to have one gear, rigid forks and maybe 29in wheel’s.

druidh
    Free Member

shooterman – Member

I’m 38 and panicking that I’m nowhere near where I wanted to be by 40!

I guess I never had any idea of “where I wanted to be”, so there was nothing to be disappointed about.

40mpg

I turned 40 two months ago. Two years ago I landed what I thought was my dream job, setting up a new construction company. Its going well, but working 80-100 hours a week, all the travelling etc is taking its toll on me, and more importantly the wife and kids.

So i’ve jacked it in, going back to a 50 hours a week job in an office, and looking forward to evenings/weekends again. Just hop I can deal with the monotony, but I can make up for it after work.

I want to learn to surf with the kids, take some holidays in cheap places, ride lots and have the energy to shag my missus as often as i can get away with.

I’m never going to be a millionaire now, but what the heck 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

I may be wrong but I don’t think they’re so common these days, with so many people dressing and acting like students well into their 30s.

How can you have a mid-life crisis at 40 if you don’t settle down and have kids until 35?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Mid Life Crisis’ is closed to new replies.