Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Mid East Wales routes recommendations? with some altitude.
  • jekkyl

I’m planning a full days riding in east wales, border country. I live in stoke and would prefer not to drive more than an hour and a half. That puts me around wrexham/oswestry/Llangollen area. I would like some decent elevation or as much as there is possible in the area. I really like the ‘out-there’ wild feel that you get in the middle of nowhere on rides and like decent views.
    Found these 2 rides:
    the-beast-of-llangollen
    Vs
    cadair-berwyn-loop
    The beast route does seem to offer all I want but I do quite fancy a proper mountain. That Cadair berwyn actually loops around Cadair Berwyn without actually going up and over it, it appears there is a bridleway over the top so I could just amend the route if I wanted but then I’ve no guarantee that I wouldn’t be throwing away potentially several good descents just for the summit (which might be shit after all) So I’m after some advice from people who might have ridden it or can recommend anyother route in the area. Thanks

montgomery
    Free Member

The Berwyn summit tracks are long-ish sections of stepped & chicken-wired boardwalks where the ground gets very boggy. The intervening bits are rideable so long as it’s not too wet. The drop north off the summit ridge to meet the Wayfarer’s track is agreeable enough. The second of your two linked routes would be good, taking in the tracks I’d do, in the directions I’d do them.

tthew

Did that Beast routes, (well most of it) a couple of weeks ago. It’s not badly named, and I nearly had a mutiny on my hands!. It definitely does what you describe as several good descents, but the climbing is brutal, there’s no flat, you are either slogging you way up some serious climb or screaming back down to immediately start the next.

We dipped out at the 20.5km mark and went for a pub lunch in Glyn Ceriog then the final climb back to Llangollen and still did 4300ft climbing in 25 miles. Here’s the Strava.

jekkyl

Thats great Monty. How long would you reckon that route might take at an easy pace? 5/6hrs?
    thanks tthew too!

montgomery
    Free Member

Berwyn ridge, this time last year. Long, tough haul up from above Pistyll Rhaedr with camping gear on the bike. I was on a through trip – for a day ride I’d do the linked route rather than the ridge.

I steer clear of estimating times for others. Lots of daylight this time of year, you’ll be alright.

jekkyl

Looks cracking monty, cheers. I’ll take your advice and do the loop as planned.

plecostomus
    Free Member

Get in touch with Andy at north wales trails superb guiding services and he’s local to that area

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Mid East Wales routes recommendations? with some altitude.’ is closed to new replies.