• This topic has 70 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by lunge.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Michel Roux Jr
  • mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Disappointing and disbelief spring to mind. He comes across as a real good guy on the TV, very eloquent and well mannered.
    Greed ruins even the best them I guess.
    Sad.
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/dec/15/michel-roux-jr-restaurant-staff-no-share-service-charge-le-gavroche

mikeyp

I’ll never eat in the gavroche ever again.
    Seriously though, what a cretin.

Merak

Thats reprehensible. To pay below living wage is bad enough but to keep the tips that’s particularly snide.

RustySpanner

+1.
    No excuse.

leffeboy

but to keep the tips that’s particularly snide.

Not just that but to imply say that they were actually going to staff – high **** value

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I have reverted to leaving cash tips recently – avoids this issue, I hope.

chewkw
    Free Member

mitsumonkey – Member
    Disappointing and disbelief spring to mind. He comes across as a real good guy on the TV, very eloquent and well mannered.
    Greed ruins even the best them I guess.
    Sad.

Roux said this week he was “embarrassed and sorry” after the Guardian revealed he was paying chefs as little as £5.50 per hour when they were working 68 hours per week.

£5.50 per hour! Wow! Is that for real? 😯

Greed is the beginning of all evil.

Yes, you want more, more, more … 😈

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Very poor indeed and as said above he’s always struck me as really decent bloke.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The “French” way is not to tip on the basis the staff are paid a decent salary so as to not require tips as a top up. I suspect the front of house staff and qualified chefs are well paid. I also suspect the staff on below living wage are not staff who would get tips anyway. I also suspect Gavroche uses the service charge to calculate it’s total revenue and hence calculate salaries.

Last time I ate at Roux Brothers (Michell senior) restaurant we left no tip as it’s not expected.

As the piece says from Jan 2017 it will be service compris anyway

tomhoward

The article seems to suggest that there is a little confusion in the wording too. That A ‘service charge’ (which is subject to taxation) is different to a tip (which isn’t), so customers didn’t think they had to tip as they thought they were one and the same. All he’s doing to recify that is taking the ‘service charge included’ off the menu so people will leave a tip. No doubt not reducing the cost of the set menu. (Doesn’t mention the ala carte, maybe that’s different). Did it mention what happened to any cash tips?

Met him at gavroche 18 months ago, one of the nicest, seemingly genuine, approachable restauranteurs ive ever met. All the staff seemed incredibly proud to work there too, oddly, if that was going on.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

What a total branleur

theotherjonv

Can’t really add to what tomhoward said; I ate there once about 3 years ago with the same experience.

Very disappointed.

mikey74
    Free Member

It works the same in architecture: One of our architects used to work for Foster & Partners and the hours they were expected to work there meant their hourly rate worked out close to the minimum wage. They relied on people wanting that name on their CV. He said people would regularly work to 3am, and be in at 7 the next morning.

It’s despicable that companies get away with this kind of exploitation, just on the basis of reputation alone. However, I do think hourly rate is a bit of a misnomer as it ultimately depends on your take-home pay: If that is adequate, then your hourly rate is somewhat irrelevant.

In the case above, the take home pay was meagre by comparison to others in the same profession, which is where the exploitation comes in. How does the basic pay, not the hourly rate, compare to other restaurants?

Rorschach
    Free Member

TBF the set menu is only £212 (plus another £27.56) a head.He’s got to make money some how,the poor urchin.

CheesybeanZ

Thats royally taking the piss .

teamhurtmore
    Free Member
    chakaping
    Free Member

And none of the coverage reveals how much his waiting staff earn, does it?

Same as the kitchen staff or more?

jambalaya
    Free Member

TBF the set menu is only £212 (plus another £27.56) a head.He’s got to make money some how,the poor urchin.

Including wines. That’s probably 8 courses using the finest ingredients prepared and served by the best staff plus sky high London property rental and business rates.

Personally I’d rather eat and drink there once every 3 months and skip all other meals out.

mikey74
    Free Member

And none of the coverage reveals how much his waiting staff earn, does it?

That link posted by THM suggests £19K across the board.

zippykona

They also do a very nice £50 lunch.

chewkw
    Free Member

Ya, I must admit I don’t know how much rent he is paying in paradise London … 😛

Which means he might be justified to pay that sort of wage to survive … 😀

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

That link doesn’t mention the waiting staff’s wages, we can only make assumptions on that, I’ll wager minimum wage. Also what the hell is a service charge? The restaurant charge you extra for bringing your dinner to The table?! Or do they share that with the staff?
    I’m with mikey74 on this one, it’s exploitation of their reputation.

totalshell

standard fare in your posh eateries.. i ve worked in 3 michelin star places the Maitre takes all the cash tips and shared as he/she felt appropriate.. which depending on close it was to paying his rent usually stayed in his/her pocket.. tips paid by card were kept by the business..

only way us rascals in the kitchen got a look in was playing cards after service with him/her

BoardinBob

Not quite in the same league as Michel Roux Jr but we had a fairly large gathering at Bill’s recently. When the bill came someone asked the waiter what happened to the service charge or tip. The waiter explained the staff do not get tips. What they do get is an additional 20p an hour on their hourly rate. So for a 6 hour shift they’d get a measly £1.20 which could be liable for tax and NI (not sure of the thresholds at the wages they’re earning)

either way it’s unacceptable. Our bill automatically had the “discretionary service charge” added as our group was over a certain size. I’m more than happy to tip well if it goes to the staff, but automatic service charges that are retained by the owners are basically robbery or false advertising and keeping tips at all and not sharing them among the staff is a 100% shitty thing to do

bruneep

But he also recalled his own training in Paris in 1976, saying he slept on his grandmother’s couch and washed in the kitchen sink. “Did I look at my payslip?” he said. “Not once.”

thats ok them

BoardinBob

Aye given his parentage and upbringing I’m sure he was never short of money

scaredypants

so, as above, WTF actually is a servce charge and why would it be a percentage of the value of the meal? – and if that is justifiable (and non-discretionary any longer), they ought to just build it in to the prices

tomhoward

TBH, the more I think about this, the less outraged I am (I wasn’t particularly before but hey ho)

£5.50 an hour is only such because they put so many hours in for a fixed (£19k a year) salary. They get the same regardless of how many hours they do, crap in busy periods, better when it’s not as busy. Swings and roundabouts. Appreciate that the 3 month waiting list suggests the quiet periods are few and far between though. If t’were me, I’d record all my hours, and if my hourly rate over the year was less than min wage, I’d be wanting to have a chat about rectifying it

Given the clientele, I imagine that the number of cash tips will still be of a decent value, compared to a mainstream chain restaurant. I also imagine a lot of other restaurant use the ‘it’s a service charge, not a tip’ mantra. The problem is punters are wrong to assume they are the same, or that the tax laws are different, restaurant is playing by the rules.

I’ll happily go back to check this is what happens, obvs…

Rorschach
    Free Member

Including wines. That’s probably 8 courses using the finest ingredients prepared and served by the best staff

that you’ll poop out yer butt 5 hours later.

mikey74
    Free Member

£5.50 an hour is only such because they put so many hours in for a fixed (£19k a year) salary. They get the same regardless of how many hours they do, crap in busy periods, better when it’s not as busy.

Hence why I said that hourly rate is a misnomer. I also get the same regardless of whether I do a 50 hour or standard 38 hour week. Unfortunately, it’s a symptom of being a “professional”.

bearnecessities

that you’ll poop out yer butt 5 hours later.

..I should be so lucky

mark d
    Free Member

So the spokeswomen lied until the issue was pushed a little.

chewkw
    Free Member

mark d – Member
    So the spokeswomen lied until the issue was pushed a little.

If she is the PR person I think she might be in a bit of poo poo if this escalates further … 😆

spectraken
    Free Member

personally I think a restaurant bill should be a total of your food and drinks, without any service charge etc. That way, a customer can tip if they feel the service was good. I really dislike places where it’s added on automatically.

I know the government were consulting the public and restaurant industry about it but don’t think anything has come of it yet.

chakaping
    Free Member

That restaurant is not going to have quieter periods, the 65-hour weeks are standard practice.

project
    Free Member

AND PEOPLE ARE LIVING ON THE STREET, OTHERS ARE DEPENDING ON FOOD BANKS, AND FINALLY RESIDENTS ARE DIEING IN CARE HOMES THROUGH MALNUTRITION,

WHAT a self centred idiot.

tom200

Hence why I said that hourly rate is a misnomer. I also get the same regardless of whether I do a 50 hour or standard 38 hour week. Unfortunately, it’s a symptom of being a “professional

This ^^^^

I would imagine a stint at a his restaurant is like a training contract, therefore when you leave (which you will for that money), you reap the rewards elsewhere.

I can’t stand a fixed service charge though. The whole point of a service charge is that you decide how good the service is and tip accordingly.

monde
    Free Member

The problem you have with all this is “celebrity” kitchens are aware they are career stepping stones both for chef and waiting staff.
    Its not unusual for the hourly paid Kitchen porter to earn more than the commis chefs as their roles are seen as an unofficial apprenticeship’s and are hard fought over.
    Some kitchens use and abuse this system while others really train their staff well and open up doors later on. M Roux’s kitchens are a good place to learn the craft from chefs I know who have worked for him.

The service tip on the other hand is a con and gives everyone in the hospitality industry a bad name. The problem he will have is the tax man reopening his books and seeing how he has declared this. Surprised he is doing it as bad press like this is hard to shift.

Cougar

Can’t help but wonder whether this 60+ hour working week is voluntary or compulsory. Makes a big difference.

mikey74
    Free Member

Can’t help but wonder whether this 60+ hour working week is voluntary or compulsory. Makes a big difference.

I’d venture, neither: it’s on the same basis as all “professional” jobs, i.e. you stay until the job is done, regardless of whether that takes 10 hours or 60 hours. Either way, you get the same money.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Michel Roux Jr’ is closed to new replies.