• This topic has 15 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by poah.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Metric shocks
  • daviek

I keep looking at the Aeris 145 and would probably do a self build instead of one of the complete build options if I ever had the nerve to buy another bike. When looking at components I’m really struggling to find any metric shocks as an alternative to the rockshox ones that Bird themselves offer. Is the 230×65 shock for the Aeris just a really oddball size or are my google skills just rubbish?

Not saying I wouldn’t want one of the rockshox ones but I do like to see what else is on offer

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

This is why I’m not bothering buying a new frame until Fox bring out after market Metric options.

Rock Shox shocks have a real tendency to shit themselves – and I can’t bring myself to going back to having no high speed rebound control.

benpinnick

Fox & CC are making 230*65 shocks but I don’t know what the UK availability is like at the moment I am afraid.

chakaping
    Free Member

Well, you’ve got it from the horse’s mouth already, but I’d just reiterate that it’s early days for alternatives already and there is sure to be a good choice in future.

If I were buying a new bike now I’d be keen to “go metric”. The Super Deluxe-equipped Trek Slash that I demo-ed was very impressive compared to a Monarch.

Speeder

What on earth has driven the introduction of the Metric shock sizes? More planned obsolescence in the cycle industry – again?

cultsdave
    Free Member

Read this article that I linked above, it tells you everything you need to know. This new “standard” seems to make sense to me.

Posted by Bird Cycleworks on Saturday, March 11, 2017

chakaping
    Free Member

The main thing seems to be longer stroke, so they work better.

Not really an annoyance compared to boosty mcboostface hub widths.

Speeder

Ah ok I see, it’s a REAL improvement – something that’s quite rare in the industry. . . . .

I do fear for stock holding though with so many variations, I wouldn’t want to be supplying aftermarket shocks to anyone.

daviek

Thanks for the replies.

I’ve read a few articles on the change but it was more a lack of alternatives than why is there a new standard question and by the looks of it at the minute there are none.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yeah, holding out for a good year I think before I buy anything – Brexit, The Return of The 29er and Metric means that I am steering clear of big purchases for the foreseeable future.

rs
    Free Member

Transition patrol and rocky slayer use the same size, I’ve asked cane creek about availability and they should be coming soon. Not a huge fan of the metric super deluxe on my patrol.

rs
    Free Member

Ps. This was the reply from cc early April…

I received an update that the DB Coil CS, 230×65 is part# BAD0626 which we can build to order.
    The DB Air CS, 230×65 is part# BAD1507. We are waiting for parts to arrive before we can complete a build on this.

We should have our web site reflecting these metric sizes soon.

daviek

Thanks for that rs, I’ll investigate some more in the morning.

dingus
    Free Member

There are some bikes (e.g. the Commencal Meta V4.2) that are coming with metric Fox X2 shocks so I’d imagine they’ll be releasing them on their own eventually.

It looks like you can actually order metric CCCBD coils from Commencal.

poah
    Free Member

you can also get ohlins built to size too

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Metric shocks’ is closed to new replies.