Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Metal work prep and spraying
  • poonprice
    Free Member

Hi STW,

I’m hoping to tap into the fountain of knowledge that is STW. I have purchased an old horse box that needs restoration as a lot of the paint was flaking off.

Anyway, I’ve never done any metal prep and spraying before so I tried to get some advice from a local Halfords type store and the guy told me, grind/sand the paint back to the metal, use a rust converter, then fish oil the metal to prevent further rusting before priming.

Anyway, I’ve done all the prep now so went to a automotive paint store to get enamel primer and paint and from speaking with the guy I realised the first shop gave some real bad advice with the fish oil and now I need to somehow strip that back and remove any trace before priming.

Does anyone have any idea how I can remove this fish oil and get this project back on track, hopefully I’ve not completely buggered it up.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice
    Matt

trail_rat
    Free Member

Id give it a solvent wash – twice.

Id also not spend loads getting it sprayed at a spray shop and just roller it in tractol – should cost about 40 quid in paint and gloss rollers.

poonprice
    Free Member

Thanks Trail_rat, once I’ve done a shed load of scrubbing with solvent, I’ll need to get it coated, so do I need to prime before applying Tractol, if so do I just use a normal spray enamel primer?

With paining in the hard to reach area, should I still get a streak free glossy finish?

Also I have some galvanised panels, I planned to etch prime these, will tractol work on top of that ok?

Sorry for all the questions, completely clueless on this stuff.

Thanks for your help

trail_rat
    Free Member

U used a high build primer from the same supplier as advised by them on the areas where I was just going over existing paint and I used an etch primer plus hi build on the alloy and galv areas.

Seems to have worked for the last 2 years.

It won’t be a 100% perfect finish but using a good quality brush and don’t be tempted to try an brush out streaks wrn it’s half dry and you should be good. Google “roller painting land rover defender” for ideas.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Metal work prep and spraying’ is closed to new replies.